AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - AA squad, Leading Goalkicker, McKracken Medal, 2nd in Crichton šŸ„ˆ

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a story i'd like to share. Maybe it relates to the selflessness of Kyle but i'll let you decide.

I'm a little biased toward Kyle. He's my 7 yo daughters fav player (he looks like my younger brother). Went to a game in 2017 at Marvel. We got there early with and ran into Kyle near the kids activities area. He'd played VFL the day before, was BOG and close to senior selection. My daughter got a photo with him, and we had a chat about footy, life etc, Nice guy.

Fast forward 18 months and I sent him a msg on social media telling him I was taking my daughter back to the footy (we live in country Vic) and she would like a photo with him again. he replied, said sure thing and asked if I would like tickets to access the PLAYERS ROOMS after the game! Hell yeah I did! He asked how many were coming, told him us two, my wife and 18 month old son, and my Dad who'd hadn't gone to a match since Waverly days, let alone never been to a game at Marvel. He got us all access.

This was the 2019 mid year match v Kangas where Walla snapped over his shoulder to snatch the lead with 1 min left, to ultimately win the game!

We rushed to the rooms and got there as the team were singing the song! For whatever reason, the security guy saw me holding my daughter up high so she could see past the 8 rows of supporters, and allowed us past the rope and into the inner sanctum! Not long after, the players broke into their groups. In the meantime I made small talk with Paul Brasher and Melissa Green mentioning how Kyle got us in, via sontact on Social Media, and she replied "OMG he is the most beautiful human.

Kyle was one of the last out but come up, introduced himself to my family and introduced his parents to us. We all chatted for what seemed eternity (around 10 mins) then he had to get going. He worded up McKernan to help us with some snaps with other players. We had the best experience anyone could ask for. It was an amazing night and i'll never forget it, all thanks to Kyle, who selflessly went out of his way to make it happen.
Thanks for sharing, it's really nice to hear stories like this, especially because the media is 90-95% negatively focused.

I've always seen a lot in Kyle. I thought he would have reached bigger heights by now but the last few weeks have me hopeful. This story makes me want to root for him more than I already do.

I have a story i'd like to share. Maybe it relates to the selflessness of Kyle but i'll let you decide.

I'm a little biased toward Kyle. He's my 7 yo daughters fav player (he looks like my younger brother). Went to a game in 2017 at Marvel. We got there early with and ran into Kyle near the kids activities area. He'd played VFL the day before, was BOG and close to senior selection. My daughter got a photo with him, and we had a chat about footy, life etc, Nice guy.

Fast forward 18 months and I sent him a msg on social media telling him I was taking my daughter back to the footy (we live in country Vic) and she would like a photo with him again. he replied, said sure thing and asked if I would like tickets to access the PLAYERS ROOMS after the game! Hell yeah I did! He asked how many were coming, told him us two, my wife and 18 month old son, and my Dad who'd hadn't gone to a match since Waverly days, let alone never been to a game at Marvel. He got us all access.

This was the 2019 mid year match v Kangas where Walla snapped over his shoulder to snatch the lead with 1 min left, to ultimately win the game!

We rushed to the rooms and got there as the team were singing the song! For whatever reason, the security guy saw me holding my daughter up high so she could see past the 8 rows of supporters, and allowed us past the rope and into the inner sanctum! Not long after, the players broke into their groups. In the meantime I made small talk with Paul Brasher and Melissa Green mentioning how Kyle got us in, via sontact on Social Media, and she replied "OMG he is the most beautiful human.

Kyle was one of the last out but come up, introduced himself to my family and introduced his parents to us. We all chatted for what seemed eternity (around 10 mins) then he had to get going. He worded up McKernan to help us with some snaps with other players. We had the best experience anyone could ask for. It was an amazing night and i'll never forget it, all thanks to Kyle, who selflessly went out of his way to make it happen.

This is exactly the sort of story that rarely gets out, but you could bet that the media would absolutely love.

Fantastic.

I think I want to marry Kyle Langford?

Loved reading that, thanks for sharing.

His last 18 months especially the last 2 have been quite impressive

I know i asked for him to return to the wing and play less CBAs and fwd like he was in that role and it seems to have worked

Although his CBAs have jumped up again recently ans hia form has followed sometimes this has been as a ruck

Maybe we are not lost in him becoming a big body mid and maturity and feeling at home. Wouldve been nice to see how he went for a stretch in the role without Shiel returning so soon

May have given us a greater idea as to how to play the trade period

There were a few moments yesterday v Hawks where I thought he looked fast on his feet. I donā€™t remember perceiving that with Kyle before. It gives the impression he is coming into his physical prime. I really like what he brings to the team.

There were a few moments yesterday v Hawks where I thought he looked fast on his feet. I donā€™t remember perceiving that with Kyle before. It gives the impression he is coming into his physical prime. I really like what he brings to the team.
Can't remember whether it was in the third or fourth quarter but there was a kick he did from just outside the forward half flank into the square or there abouts and he took off to break being tackled and I said the same thing.... he looked quick with some burst of speed.

Can't remember whether it was in the third or fourth quarter but there was a kick he did from just outside the forward half flank into the square or there abouts and he took off to break being tackled and I said the same thing.... he looked quick with some burst of speed.

That was the one that Jones marked directly in front and then shanked. Kyle put on the afterburners and they couldn't go with him.

Was doing the defensive stuff as well. 7 tackles on the weekend. Only 6 games until the hundred too.

His last 18 months especially the last 2 have been quite impressive

I know i asked for him to return to the wing and play less CBAs and fwd like he was in that role and it seems to have worked

Although his CBAs have jumped up again recently ans hia form has followed sometimes this has been as a ruck

Maybe we are not lost in him becoming a big body mid and maturity and feeling at home. Wouldve been nice to see how he went for a stretch in the role without Shiel returning so soon

May have given us a greater idea as to how to play the trade period

Just going back over this. Many didnā€™t want Langford to stay/move back into the midfield after Shiel and Caldwellā€™s injury.

Heā€™s back in there but as a second rotation and doing a brilliant job in his role.

Putting together a very, very good season. Wonā€™t surprise if he finished top 5 in the Crichton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just going back over this. Many didnā€™t want Langford to stay/move back into the midfield after Shiel and Caldwellā€™s injury.

Heā€™s back in there but as a second rotation and doing a brilliant job in his role.

Putting together a very, very good season. Wonā€™t surprise if he finished top 5 in the Crichton

Initially without closely looking at CBAs as a mid he was still playing plenty of wing time but the last 4-5 weeks has been right back into the CBAs and probably has his best 5 week stretch of his career

Sometimes its just an extra 18 months maturity that can help along with a bit of confidence found from going back to your most natural position as a junior on the wing

Its not easy to be an inside mid as a jet top 10 in years 1-3 let alone as an outside mid/flank who needed to learn the position, add weight whilst simultaneously gaining the required endurance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was pretty poor in the first half last night. Looked slow and was a bit panicky. Worked into the game and once the pace fell off a bit it allowed him to be more effective.

Good to know that he's working right to the end but under extreme heat and intensity ( like a final ) has some shortcoming.

He was pretty poor in the first half last night. Looked slow and was a bit panicky. Worked into the game and once the pace fell off a bit it allowed him to be more effective.

Good to know that he's working right to the end but under extreme heat and intensity ( like a final ) has some shortcoming.
I'd like to see you critique award winning donuts tbh

This stuff matters.

Always interesting to hear how players behave when nobody is looking.

He is doing more as a midfielder than I thought he would do. Playing well.

Is he doing more of the blocking and defensive stuff we craved a Josh Dunkley for?

Appears in TV to be using his size and confidence to influence in the middle now

Hey Dons fans,

On FTP this week, we discussed the development of Langford and how he brings balance to your midfield.

If you want to read the full article of the below: https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/06/30/ftp-15/

Subscribe if you like this kind of analysis

Hope he goes well tonight!

What a year itā€™s been for Kyle Langford (#4). The inclusion of Essendonā€™s young talent which has revitalised the team and the resurgence of 2015 Jake Stringer (how long will this last?) has been discussed ad nauseam in recent weeks. Yet, the play of Langford has largely gone unnoticed.

Itā€™s a career year across the board in disposals (including a seismic increase in uncontested disposals), marks, metres gained and score involvements. Most of this can be attributed to his move to the inside. This occurred almost by chance given the injuries to Shiel, McGrath and Caldwell.

But itā€™s also eventuated through a clearer understanding from Essendon on Langfordā€™s best position. Early on, he was in between positions. Not strong enough aerially to be a 3rd tall but too slow on the outside and limited skill wise to be an impactful midfielder. That has changed now. Langfordā€™s outside spread from contests has improved dramatically. We talked about the big increase in uncontested disposals and itā€™s clear in the vision. He no longer jogs out of contests ā€“ he spreads hard and uses his size to his advantage in shrugging tacklers at speed.

Heā€™s also surprisingly quick for his size ā€“ showing a nice burst of pace to create space for himself. Again, he follows up well from the initial clearance.

The additional benefit that Langford brings to Essendonā€™s midfield make up is his size. Both Merrett and Parish are incredible accumulators of the ball but are small midfielders at 180cm and 181cm respectively. Langford at 191cm provides a point of difference to an undersized midfield. It allows him to take those bigger midfielders which frees up Parish and Merrett to play their natural inside/outside ball winning game.

The question with Essendon will be what happens to these kind of players, the Langfordā€™s and the Parishā€™s (Stringer as well), once Shiel, McGrath and Caldwell return? Theyā€™re all best 22 players but itā€™s clear that the former thrive in their new roles. It creates an interesting dilemma for the Bombers in figuring out what their best midfield make up looks like. Itā€™s hard to see them push either Parish or Langford out given their form to date. Good problems to have down at Bomberland.

Back