Past #42: Tom Campbell - delisted end '21 - 12 NM games / 7 NM goals - 2019 NM VFL John Law Medallist - thanks Soup

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats great news perhaps now I can sleep tonight.

giphy.gif

He does seem like a really nice guy that might make a great coach one day. Let's hope that he can contribute on the field over the next year or so.

I get the feeling that he realises he must improve his forward craft if he's going to get regular AFL games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know, I'm not hating this decision. He is only 28, durable in terms of game time and appears to be a smart footballer.
How many smart 28 year olds do we have on the list?
I think he's aggression is actually better than xerri's.

I dont know, I'm not hating this decision. He is only 28, durable in terms of game time and appears to be a smart footballer.
How many smart 28 year olds do we have on the list?
I think he's aggression is actually better than xerri's.
He as it stands is a better footballer than Xerri. Hopefully the time spent with Jade working on his craft translates to a couple goals and impacting the contest. Good luck to him.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

As mentioned, he looks like he has lost a giood deal of weight. He also looks surprisingly nimble in that clip above. A year and a half to work on his game, especially his forward craft....hopefully he pulls one out. It would be a fantastic story. Good luck!

I really don't know what everyone's complaining about with this bloke, he's treated as if he's dead weight. This is our VFL best and fairest winner last year, he's a decent player and can play forward or ruck. With compacted games running with minimal breaks, you really can't expect Goldy to do all the work 100% of the game until Victoria decides to get its s**t together and open up again.

Xerri's green as grass, he has a lot to work on, and the glimpses he's shown aren't enough yet to be a week-in, week-out selection.

All he has to do is shoulder ruck work, take some marks, kick a goal or two and be physical, that's it. Campbell is a utility and he knows it.

I really don't know what everyone's complaining about with this bloke, he's treated as if he's dead weight. This is our VFL best and fairest winner last year, he's a decent player and can play forward or ruck. With compacted games running with minimal breaks, you really can't expect Goldy to do all the work 100% of the game until Victoria decides to get its sh*t together and open up again.

Xerri's green as grass, he has a lot to work on, and the glimpses he's shown aren't enough yet to be a week-in, week-out selection.

All he has to do is shoulder ruck work, take some marks, kick a goal or two and be physical, that's it. Campbell is a utility and he knows it.

I'm happy for him to give Goldy a chop out but he only got two hitouts tonight from not many ruck contests. Why can't Brown give him a chop out? What does it say about our VFL team if this guy is the best and fairest winner? On a slippery Metricon, I don't know why we would have gone with 2 talls but who knows. The gameplan of kicking long bombs down the line to Campbell and Brown is not working. It will never will. What is the point of clogging a hole in Campbell and not developing Xerri? Get plenty of gametime into him to help him develop quicker.

I'm happy for him to give Goldy a chop out but he only got two hitouts tonight from not many ruck contests. Why can't Brown give him a chop out? What does it say about our VFL team if this guy is the best and fairest winner? On a slippery Metricon, I don't know why we would have gone with 2 talls but who knows. The gameplan of kicking long bombs down the line to Campbell and Brown is not working. It will never will. What is the point of clogging a hole in Campbell and not developing Xerri? Get plenty of gametime into him to help him develop quicker.

He was playing as a forward, not a ruckman. As for being our VFL B&F winner it's almost as if he's a solid ruckman who played EVERY VFL game. We tried Xerri for 2 weeks as our second tall forward. It didn't work, so we opted for our 211th choice as second tall in Campbell to basically the same result. His selection may not have been a matchwinner, but there was certainly a logic to it.

I thought that hoof of the ground was as a good a hoof of the ground as Id seen from a second string ruckman since Gags Gallagher tried similar . Love the tin can but yeah he ain’t good enough unfortunately

He was playing as a forward, not a ruckman. As for being our VFL B&F winner it's almost as if he's a solid ruckman who played EVERY VFL game. We tried Xerri for 2 weeks as our second tall forward. It didn't work, so we opted for our 211th choice as second tall in Campbell to basically the same result. His selection may not have been a matchwinner, but there was certainly a logic to it.

He played as forward in 2019 under Brad and averaged 8 touches from 2 games. He played tonight (in wet conditions) and got 3 touches. The selection to play him as a forward was just for structure and it did not work. Xerri needs time develop. I can see the logic in the selection but is it the right path for this time? By playing Campbell what are we achieving? Surely they knew it would be wet at Metricon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back