Past #43: Aaron Hall - Shinboner #1013 retires after 58 NM games - Thanks Aaron

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet just a few weeks ago, you kept telling us he is our most important player.
Not everyone sees these things as early as the good judges.

I see your facial expressions every time he makes a bad decision and follows it up with worse execution.

Hopefully some understand that we cant keep gutting the list of senior players without replacing with mature heads.

We’re not playing finals next year so he’s definitely getting a deal.

Last edited:
Hopefully some understand that we can keep gutting the list of senior players without replacing with mature heads.

We’re not playing finals next year so he’s definitely getting a deal.
Be great if senior players, you know, played like senior players.

He’s a 32 year old clown. He makes s**t decisions in conjunction with poor execution.

He is not a solution to any problem, on field leadership, ball movement, nothing.

I understand those that think we need to keep him, but surely Corr and McDonald and 25 year old McKay is enough for now, I honestly feel more comfortable with Stepho and a Perez doing the creative stuff in the back half.

Last edited:
Be great if I senior players, you know, played like senior players.

He’s a 32 year old clown. He makes s**t decisions in conjunction with poor execution.

He is not a solution to any problem, on field leadership, ball movement, nothing.

I understand those that think we need to keep him, but surely Corr and McDonald and 25 year old McKay is enough for now, I honestly feel more comfortable with Stepho and a Perez doing the creative stuff in the back half.
I think there was a much better balance between using sleevo and hall on the weekend. I can cop hall if we don't put it in his hands every time, and use others to rebound as well. Multiple different looks. Agree with seeing Perez more

I think our back line is the best line in terms of experience/balance.

McKay 24/50 games
Corr 28/118
McDonald 27/157
Young 23/41

We brought in Dawson 24/2, we have Perez 20/18, Goater 19/0. I am not sure how many of the younger/unproven guys should be retained but we need to move on the rest as soon as humanly possible. We need some quality ball users who can defend. I am not anti-Dawson, thought he was okay but makes me sad we passed on Massimo, the kid can hit targets and has a go defensively speaking.

I am not sure what Bergman is like, he is almost 190cm and is 65kg, players who can't or wont get to AFL required size should be delisted. We need to stop recruiting featherweights that take 10 years to develop physically.

We have a lot of hot garbage occupying list spots in defensive roles atm and we need a clean out. We need to keep an eye for good defenders around at other clubs who aren't getting much opportunity, one we need to send to the PSD. Our nice guy trading getting us nowhere.

I tend to focus on what he does well versus what we does poorly. He murdered Heeney in a 1-1, hit some bullets, and ran hard as usual. He and Jaidyn both have some shocking kicks but some beautiful ones as well. Flynn is a bit the same although lacks the running patterns of these two.

He shows the kids not to go back into their shell after making a mistake.

I tend to focus on what he does well versus what we does poorly. He murdered Heeney in a 1-1, hit some bullets, and ran hard as usual. He and Jaidyn both have some shocking kicks but some beautiful ones as well. Flynn is a bit the same although lacks the running patterns of these two.

He shows the kids not to go back into their shell after making a mistake.
What about if the mistake was 100% avoidable and should not have been a mistake.

He is reckless and dumb, and his not going into his shell is akin to him not giving a absolute duck imho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about if the mistake was 100% avoidable and should not have been a mistake.

He is reckless and dumb, and his not going into his shell is akin to him not giving a absolute duck imho.
I believe a lot of the kicks he bites off fit within the general instructions for the team. I've seen Perez nail spectators in the stand frequently (still rate him tho) and Sleevo had a few very avoidable howlers, but by and large what Azza offers none of the others do at this stage.

Sleevo offers similar drive and skill, slightly better on the skills execution usually but not as good a defender as Az, who is generally underrated in that department.

Flynn's skills are about the same, obviously still very young though. He's a better defender than both but doesn't have their running patterns and struggles to find the pill.

I want all 3 + Goater working really hard together this off season.

Be great if senior players, you know, played like senior players.

Sorry but we need him for at least another year. Maybe if we didn’t have such lousy senior players (ziebell, Turner, walker, Polec) we could move him on but he gets at least another year imo.

Last edited:
I would extend him definitely.

Sure he can make horrible errors but he breaks lines and can be lethal (and poor) by foot - for Christ's sake we have Lazzaro and Mahony who are barely VFL footballers for another year so I have no problem with keeping Hall another season.

It was in the first quarter actually! Utterly ridiculous.
View attachment 1470654
the problem is that this isn't worth the multiple 15 metre basic kicks that you expect vafa div 2 players to make that he misses and costs shots on goals.

he genuinely seems like a lovely bloke, a good leader, and a good player to have around the club, so I'm not saying that we should get rid, but i agree with what Usayed Givashe said during the game on the weekend: Hall, for all the great kicks like the one in that video, is a net negative because he misses far too many sitters that cost us.

he also makes us far too predictable. our ball movement has looked the best it has all season in the last 3-4 weeks and it's been when the ball has been in others' hands, particularly Stephenson's

edit: and yeah, i realise the ridiculousness of that last sentence given Stepho's highly publicised * up from full back on the w/e

the problem is that this isn't worth the multiple 15 metre basic kicks that you expect vafa div 2 players to make that he misses and costs shots on goals.

He's going at around 75% DE this year, which is very comparable to the other guys at the top of the metres gained metric (aside from Rich at 84% who is a freak). His errors are not nearly as frequent as you think, it's just he is prone to the odd howler which sticks in the brain.

He's a very poor fit in this side as the way he plays just doesn't fit with our lack of movement ahead of the ball. I'd be giving him another year under a proper coach.

He's going at around 75% DE this year, which is very comparable to the other guys at the top of the metres gained metric (aside from Rich at 84% who is a freak). His errors are not nearly as frequent as you think, it's just he is prone to the odd howler which sticks in the brain.

He's a very poor fit in this side as the way he plays just doesn't fit with our lack of movement ahead of the ball. I'd be giving him another year under a proper coach.
i dont think it's necessarily the number of them, it's just how bad they are when they happen. they are literally the most basic kicks, and too often, because of the position he plays, they result in shots at goal

i would content (admittedly without any hard evidence, more hunch) that Rich's turnovers, for example, are from longer kicks and so happen further away from goal, whereas Hall's are short and/or unnecessarily risky kicks that happen closer to goal, and thus are more dangerous

i would content (admittedly without any hard evidence, more hunch) that Rich's turnovers, for example, are from longer kicks and so happen further away from goal, whereas Hall's are short and/or unnecessarily risky kicks that happen closer to goal, and thus are more dangerous

I'd contend that often that is because there isn't a kick available up the ground, so he has to change course and go sideways - agree he is susceptible to a shank though.

Hall will be playing next year i can assure you.

Fair enough if disagree but it's length of contract not if he will be delisted is the only reason it hasn't been signed.

no issue with giving him a year:

• IMO he is likely only to play 12(+/- 3) games
  • If he is out he should have to come back through the VFL
  • He plays there with Stephenson not instead of him
  • he can have a second year trigger, but he has to be fit enough to play 21 AFL games to trigger it.
We simply cannot go another season where movement from the defensive half falls apart when his hamstrings go ping.

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back