Past #43: Aaron Hall - Shinboner #1013 retires after 58 NM games - Thanks Aaron

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree but in the Scotts era we had Tarrant, Daw and McKay successfully move from being underwhelming key forwards to more than handy key defenders - the decision making and timing around this is very much up for debate with a sneaking suspicion that it was more by good luck than good management.
Jacobs was moved from no man's land into a tagging role (by Crocker)
Ziebell was moved virtually permanently forward (again maybe more to do with his turnovers and lack of pace/endurance than a planned decision)
Atley was also moved back and forth to varying degrees of success.
Greenwood was eventually moved into the midfield and promptly left.
Shaws moved Bonar back (he also moved Durdin forward for his last hurrah - you win some you lose some).

I'm sure there's others that I've omitted but it seems Noble has been much more strategic and proactive in this space.

Yep, granted Scott had 10 years vs Nobles 7 games... and they were much more permanent moves rather then a clear strategic decision to add additional layers to each player (which imo is what Noble is doing).

In 3 years time he wants Stephenson/TT to be able to play forward/wing/middle when required, LDU/Laz/Phillips to be able to play mid/Forward and so on

Yep, granted Scott had 10 years vs Nobles 7 games... and they were much more permanent moves rather then a clear strategic decision to add additional layers to each player (which imo is what Noble is doing).

In 3 years time he wants Stephenson/TT to be able to play forward/wing/middle when required, LDU/Laz/Phillips to be able to play mid/Forward and so on
That's how you get depth going.

Excellent point & it's probably his biggest tick thus far.

He's asked LDU, Cunnington, Jed, Campbell, Laz, Powell, Goldstein & Phillips work on their forward craft; Stephenson, TT, Zurhaar & Turner work on their midfield craft; Bonar, Atu, Hall & Ziebell all work on their defensive craft.

Not to sound like a broken record, but how many players were made to add an additional string under Scott & to a lesser extent Shaw?

Plenty of midfielders added the back pocket string to their bow!

This is going to be one of your all time great misses.

I look forward to raising it down the track

Don't even think about jumping on the bandwagon in 10 or 12 games and proclaim you "always knew" either.

Atu is already a better footballer than Marley Williams and he's played all of 6 career games.

Yes but getting rid of Marley,jmac and pittard have cost us our chance at finishing ninth. 🙃

Don't even think about jumping on the bandwagon in 10 or 12 games and proclaim you "always knew" either.

Atu is already a better footballer than Marley Williams and he's played all of 6 career games.

My post relates to the present.

It's also correct.

Granted this is a sarcastic statement but seriously add the 9 delistees and were sitting in the same spot with possibly a little healthier percentage.

...........and it would only ADD to young player development.

...........and it would only ADD to young player development.

Not with all of them there, it would be stifling to the younger players.

I reckon Jmac and perhaps Pittard would still be handy. Possibly even Majak, but my gut feel is that his injury has robbed him of some athleticism.

better skills, quicker, not as physical (and won't ever be); on the whole, we're ahead and will go further ahead over time

Big game from Aaron:

37 disposals, 8 marks, 8 intercepts, 6 score involvements, 925 metres gained, 6 i50s, 7 r50s.
He was terrific tonight.

Big game from Aaron:

37 disposals, 8 marks, 8 intercepts, 6 score involvements, 925 metres gained, 6 i50s, 7 r50s.

He's an offensive weapon. So creative with ball in hand and with his run and carry. Bring other quick blokes (Ats and Menadue) into the game as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the few players today to have a honest hard crack. Has been superb off hb for a few weeks now.

L-Mac, B-Mac, JZ, Corr & Hall are locks.

There's still one spot swinging.

L-Mac, B-Mac, JZ, Corr & Hall are locks.

There's still one spot swinging.
Add Taz when he's healthy, and JZ gets a role that allows him to manage the onfield structures. Even the likes of Young and Menedue get a less damaging forward to mind, so their contribution is enhanced.

Getting Taz, Corr and LMac back will seriously alter the team balance. Hopefully they get enough games to gel as a unit by the end of this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back