Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success'

Remove this Banner Ad

Saying he wants to see improvement is pure deflection from what is his again, slow and abysmal start to a season. I don’t think North needs to cop this blackmail
Just like Cam's running patterns, the concept of "let's see some improvement" currently seems to be going only one way.

Whoever he goes to won't want to trade, they don't want to give up any draft capital for him. It's in their best interest to offer him a contract that is so good that we don't want to because it will give us a Band 1 pick.
I hope you are correct but I can't see Cam getting a contract that will trigger a band 1.

Even if we match he can still leave, he's uncontracted - all we can do is force a trade.

What would his value be on the open market? Pick 20ish?
That's a good question, while he's not a top 10 pick, he's definitely not a second round pick imo, he falls somewhere around a mid to late first round pick, he would be higher, but he is inconsistent, but the fact is he can be a matchwinner on his day, and they are very hard to find.

That's a good question, while he's not a top 10 pick, he's definitely not a second round pick imo, he falls somewhere around a mid to late first round pick, he would be higher, but he is inconsistent, but the fact is he can be a matchwinner on his day, and they are very hard to find.
He will be better in a stronger side I imagine, but I think he lacks the intensity of (let's say) Collingwood. He might suit Carlton but why would he not want to go west? I suspect one of the Sydney teams might be able to persuade him north.

But so much the better if he stays loyal. He is a traditionally slow starter. Next few weeks might see him playing better footy. He needs to sort out his tardy season openings.

He will be better in a stronger side I imagine, but I think he lacks the intensity of (let's say) Collingwood. He might suit Carlton but why would he not want to go west? I suspect one of the Sydney teams might be able to persuade him north.

But so much the better if he stays loyal. He is a traditionally slow starter. Next few weeks might see him playing better footy. He needs to sort out his tardy season openings.

Are we in a situation where we can afford to have one of our senior players with over 100 games experience not be ready to perform at all until round 8 or 9 every year?

These are the standards we as a club accept, including supporters

He will go to Sydney where he can hit the town without being noticed at all.

Are we in a situation where we can afford to have one of our senior players with over 100 games experience not be ready to perform at all until round 8 or 9 every year?

These are the standards we as a club accept, including supporters

He will go to Sydney where he can hit the town without being noticed at all.
Not sure we're in a position to let experienced big bodies walk out the door. He's handy protection for Curtis and Duursma at the minute, and I think we all know he can be used better (running through the middle more often).

As imperfect as he is, losing him hurts our development, IMO.

Not sure we're in a position to let experienced big bodies walk out the door. He's handy protection for Curtis and Duursma at the minute, and I think we all know he can be used better (running through the middle more often).

What I'd give to be a fly on the wall,
obviously from the outside looking in losing Cam would be a disaster. I just wonder if through no fault of their own some of these players have become toxic to the younger ones?

Can he realistically run through the middle more often? I doubt he has it in him.

Short term it might hurt from rounds 9-23 every year.

I'm a fan of his when he is on, but realistically this bloke wants improvement, he is a massive part of the problem on field and off it.

Can he realistically run through the middle more often? I doubt he has it in him.

Short term it might hurt from rounds 9-23 every year.

I'm a fan of his when he is on, but realistically this bloke wants improvement, he is a massive part of the problem on field and off it.
It only has to be a few times a game, but it shakes things up in there, as well as helping him to get his hands on the ball.

It's funny when we talk about wanting people to drive standards and here he is flat-out telling the club to lift their game and suddenly everyone hates him for it.

It only has to be a few times a game, but it shakes things up in there, as well as helping him to get his hands on the ball.

It's funny when we talk about wanting people to drive standards and here he is flat-out telling the club to lift their game and suddenly everyone hates him for it.

You can surely see the irony

A bloke who regularly doesn't turn up for at least the first third of the season telling the club to lift their game?

How about setting the standard and having others follow along like a senior player should do? To be fair he isn't on his own there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do what I say, not do what I do.

I see that Pedo Stringer doing that role at * every week. Starts at center bounce , gets most clearances & wonders onto the Half forward line to snag 2-3 goals a game .. and I think "why can't Cam be doing that role too"
Because Stringer is 5X the player Cam is......Stringer is a tool, but he can seriously play. Cam is an honest trier, who does the odd random freakish thing, never gunna be on Stringer's level.

Because Stringer is 5X the player Cam is......Stringer is a tool, but he can seriously play. Cam is an honest trier, who does the odd random freakish thing, never gunna be on Stringer's level.

Aldi Jake Stringer

He can GTFO. Considering we gave him a chance as a rookie and now wants to see improvement. What a knoob. Happy for him to go and we get a compo pick or mid teens pick.👋🏻
Exactly no one gave him a chance except North. Now he’s too good for the Roos . Karma bus will hit hard if he leaves . Talk about arrogant. He’s on the team does SFA but wants improvement. Practice what you preach Cam you tool .

He needs to lift his game on field. Its shithouse at the moment.

Here's the thing... if he'd worked his arse off on the weekend and kicked straighter we would have had another two goals at least and probably three or four more shots on goal thru him assisting and working to create space for the other forwards.

He is a part of the problem and he lacks the intensity and drive to fix it.

Here's the thing... if he'd worked his arse off on the weekend and kicked straighter we would have had another two goals at least and probably three or four more shots on goal thru him assisting and working to create space for the other forwards.

He is a part of the problem and he lacks the intensity and drive to fix it.
Agreed, the “zurhaars” are throwing the toys out of the cot because they’re asked to do more. Everyone was told “its your club now” so lift then, senior players.

Last edited:
Always. Just like that goal that won us one of the only games we have got to see in Melbourne in living memory against Richmond. Always misses those clutch goals. :stern look
Did he get a brownlow vote for that game?

Saying he wants to see improvement is pure deflection from what is his again, slow and abysmal start to a season. I don’t think North needs to cop this blackmail
I hate it as much as the next person, but in his defence, he is usually starting the year massively underdone and takes a good 5-10 matches to get going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back