Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success'

Remove this Banner Ad

Ya see thats where the AFL hasnt ultimately faced this issue in the history of free agency (******* hell its North to test the system, better being on this end of the system before its honed out). North Melbourne could potentially be MASSIVE beneficiaries of such a poorly organised scheme.

North could potentially IF CZ and LDU leave wind up with pick 2/3 (2022) pick 2/3 (2023) potentially picks 1-2/2-3 (2024) to picks next year.. 2025 could be picks 1/2 if LdU leaves?

From 2022 to 2025 we could potentially have almost half a team filled with the best talent over a 4 year stretch.

I dont necessarily want that, however if you were a pro coach.. its kind of mouth watering.. the thought of having 2 out if the 3 best talents over over a 4 year stretch kinda gets me blood flowin
Whoever coaches after Clarkson will become the greatest, most successful sporting coach in history. A five-peat could be happening.

Clarkson will be there to hold the pieces together until the young guys are doing it year on year!

Whoever coaches after Clarkson will become the greatest, most successful sporting coach in history. A five-peat could be happening.

Clarkson will be there to hold the pieces together until the young guys are doing it year on year!
Potentially. Its looking more that way innit? Clarkson is there to hold a young core together.. has merit I guess, its debatable, its unknown.

The way CZ was talking in thqt podcast about “it could set him up for life” not only is he drinking his own bathwater he thinks North owes him a massive pay deal.

Im on the fence with what CZ is worth..
Its tough. But if you look at it, what players in the league in his age demographic is

1) considering playing with u s
2) capable of playing stints in mid and making an impact
3) capable of going forward and winning a game off his own boot

Its tough. But if you look at it, what players in the league in his age demographic is

I only wish that Zurhaar was doing one of those things.

Talk of 1st round compo was always insane. Absolutely zero chance. So early 20s pick is what we get.

FWIW Cam is ours to lose, he doesn't want to leave all his best mates are at the club and is a loyal guy. We just got to start creating some hope for these guys, need to improve. Win some games etc.

That's on Cam as well though.
The precedence was there last year with Ben McKay. If another club is stupid enough and pays 850k to prise him out of NM, this will trigger Band 1. Pick 1 and 2. Come on down. Nice business to end up with pick 2 from trading a player who started on the Rookie list.

Yeh but he’s not that good and makes very little impact.

I want CZ to stay, I was CZ to be a leader. But I guess we are finding out whose who in the zoo

The precedence was there last year with Ben McKay. If another club is stupid enough and pays 850k to prise him out of NM, this will trigger Band 1. Pick 1 and 2. Come on down. Nice business to end up with pick 2 from trading a player who started on the Rookie list.
Its a massive win, especially when you grab Duursma who is a significant upgrade on Zurhaar already

small pressure forward (recruit) - Larkey - Curtis
Eddie Ford - Sellers - Duursma

Potentially swapping Larkey with Sellers.
Less than ideal but it's not like Zurhaar would be this huge void to fill in our forward. He's not giving us much at the moment. The plan should be to recruit another Tall forward. I'd get 2. One that's ready and can chop out the ruck (someone that isn't CCJ) and a developing tall.

We desperately need a small pressure forward (i'd like 2) and a KPF
I think some of you have forgotten a player we have sitting in the wings, who has yet to debut. Brayden George can easily develop into a CZ type of forward.

I like Cam. But honestly when you have Duursma, Ford, George, Curtis all fighting for the same position Cam himself is dispensable.

Use the pick to strengthen other areas that are of need. We need to rebalance our list.
A commodity. I’d rather see Cam take it on his own and command leadership in a young aspiring team. If he’s not cut from that rug and would rather be a passenger earning dollars then i’d rather him do it elsewhere

A commodity. I’d rather see Cam take it on his own and command leadership in a young aspiring team. If he’s not cut from that rug and would rather be a passenger earning dollars then i’d rather him do it elsewhere
But he has had like 3 years to do just that and we’re round 8 in? I think we’re all with you but it’s come to a point where we are essentially paying for the name? ‘The former king of marvel’ the bull slow cow ’

Ya see thats where the AFL hasnt ultimately faced this issue in the history of free agency (******* hell its North to test the system, better being on this end of the system before its honed out). North Melbourne could potentially be MASSIVE beneficiaries of such a poorly organised scheme.

North could potentially IF CZ and LDU leave wind up with pick 2/3 (2022) pick 2/3 (2023) potentially picks 1-2/2-3 (2024) to picks next year.. 2025 could be picks 1/2 if LdU leaves?

From 2022 to 2025 we could potentially have almost half a team filled with the best talent over a 4 year stretch.

I dont necessarily want that, however if you were a pro coach.. its kind of mouth watering.. the thought of having 2 out if the 3 best talents over over a 4 year stretch kinda gets me blood flowin

we the compo is the compo, it's just no one has finished bottom 4 years in a roll. Let's face it, we were last for the last 5 years. If zurhaar situation plays the way we wanted, we might get another band 1, otherwise, band 2 meaning late 1st round.

We could trade 2 of the picks in the tens for a top 10 pick to pick up this kpd that supports north.

Next year, uniacke leaves, mos def band 1, another 2 top 4 picks.

2026, more of the same, we might be around 14th, 15th. It's a consolidation year.

2027 is the year we get our free agents ready, we should be trading our 1st that year to snap a few useful players that would complement the core.

2028 is the yaer where the disturbance of tasmania would send shockwave to the comp and that's when we strike amidst the chaos of an afl funded new team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he's up to that. If he was it'd be this year that he was doing it.

2028 is the yaer where the disturbance of tasmania would send shockwave to the comp and that's when we strike amidst the chaos of an afl funded new team.

I do think that we are setting up to make a big play on the abnormal situation that a new club entering the competition creates. Hope the stars align with our top picks and some handy trades before then. Any teams collapsing around 2027 will be in some trouble.

The way CZ was talking in thqt podcast about “it could set him up for life” not only is he drinking his own bathwater he thinks North owes him a massive pay deal.

Im on the fence with what CZ is worth..

Came across as a self absorbed flog in that podcast imo. He kind of shits me,
He wants to see us improve, but is doing absolutely nothing on field to help the cause.

Be realistic, if we paid 850k a year for a 25 year old unfit 3rd tall forward that had only kicked more than 30 goals once in his career then we’d all want Brady’s head.

I want to keep him because he is a mature body in the age profile that we lack, but if a club offers him more that 650k per year then I’d be fine with us letting him go. 1 good game every 5 isn’t enough to demand top dollar.

In saying that, no club is going to offer us enough to get band 1. The talk of pick 1/2 is fairy land stuff imo.

Came across as a self absorbed flog in that podcast imo. He kind of shits me,
He wants to see us improve, but is doing absolutely nothing on field to help the cause.

Be realistic, if we paid 850k a year for a 25 year old unfit 3rd tall forward that had only kicked more than 30 goals once in his career then we’d all want Brady’s head.

I want to keep him because he is a mature body in the age profile that we lack, but if a club offers him more that 650k per year then I’d be fine with us letting him go. 1 good game every 5 isn’t enough to demand top dollar.

In saying that, no club is going to offer us enough to get band 1. The talk of pick 1/2 is fairy land stuff imo.

It will all come down to how many clubs are vying for his services. If it is only 1 other club and he really wants to leave NM, the bargaining power is weaker for NM. If however, there are multiple clubs competing to win his signature and CZ is prepared to go to which ever club offers him the best financial deal, one of these clubs may push CZ into Band 1 territory, to ensure they can outbid all other potential suitors. Band 1 for NM is much better then Band 1 for the Western Bulldogs or Melbourne for example. As it currently stands, that's pick 1 and 2 to NM. I can hear the outrage from other clubs already.

Felt like he had a genuine crack today.

Also interesting how he said things can change quickly in the podcast this week.

I wonder if he realises he might have the power to be a huge part of the solution.

Him committing might be part of the tonic the club needs and in turn he needs to take his game to another level.

Rolling Curtis through the middle rather than him might be an indication that the club is letting him know subtly that you’re either in or out.

Have no inside running on this but I’m looking at this and thinking this could be a source of optimism.

I think retaining Cam would be a positive for us as a playing group and may be a bit of the fillip we could be looking for.

Let’s see how it plays out.

Another typical CZ game - a couple of nice moments and a couple of howlers that caused us to lose momentum.

This all would be fine if was still 21 - but he is not. He is one of the 'leaders' that just continuously don't lead us.

Be true to your word CZ - we all know there is no improvement at the NMFC - we have gone backward - so off you go.

he got out marked so many times.

When the ball is coming out of our d50 he needs to push him and his player back because that space in front of him is gonna allow him to lead into. He’s a much better marking on the lead player instead of the stop prop and make contact with the defender.

I do think that we are setting up to make a big play on the abnormal situation that a new club entering the competition creates. Hope the stars align with our top picks and some handy trades before then. Any teams collapsing around 2027 will be in some trouble.

well, we did that just in time before hand. Generally speaking, those at the top right now will be looking at the cliff by then. No amount of topping up will change.

The longterm future is bright, very bright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back