#44 - Matt Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

The people slagging off Crouch are deadset idiots. I think you'll find the premiership sides from the last 100+ years were formed around a hard-nosed, inside midfield.
I don't think anyone is slagging him off personally. His strengths are recognised by all and sundry as elite. His deficiencies are also well documented which are not limited to simply speed and endurance. There was also lack of any defensive action , lack of movement without the ball, lack of vision and zero spread. He didn't have a great Champs making Country's bests on 1 occasion out of 5 games. Grigg slid on the back of a poor combine but at least showed his wares with a stand out Champs.

What concerns me is that we spent the trade period specifically targeting a documented need ie outside run & carry but failed to land targets in Polec/Edwards, then in the draft we don't appear to have addressed that (although Knight has elite endurance).

Anyway, I trust that the move to an AFL environment will see some of that stuff ironed out and we see a more rounded final product.

I don't think anyone is slagging him off personally. His strengths are recognised by all and sundry as elite. His deficiencies are also well documented which are not limited to simply speed and endurance. There was also lack of any defensive action , lack of movement without the ball, lack of vision and zero spread. He didn't have a great Champs making Country's bests on 1 occasion out of 5 games. Grigg slid on the back of a poor combine but at least showed his wares with a stand out Champs.

What concerns me is that we spent the trade period specifically targeting a documented need ie outside run & carry but failed to land targets in Polec/Edwards, then in the draft we don't appear to have addressed that (although Knight has elite endurance).

Anyway, I trust that the move to an AFL environment will see some of that stuff ironed out and we see a more rounded final product.

I don't get the 'zero spread' argument... he was top 10 in the TAC Cup for handball receives... Sure it isn't his strength but it's hardly awful.

Interesting to read that due to cricket committments that Matt Crouch has never done a full footy pre-season

This suggest to me that his endurance will improve rapidly once he gets a couple of pre-seasons under his belt
Maybe.. but I can think of a few other players we've drafted over the years who had "never done a full footy pre-season" - and failed to improve dramatically once they finally did one. James Sellar, come on down.

Bah.. I don't want to be a party pooper. I'm glad to have "brother of" on the list, given that it sounds like he's a clearance machine with excellent skills - just what the team needs.

Now we just need to find some decent KPP forwards and ruckmen in the rookie draft...

Sorry I think we have over paid here. Hopefully his well documented deficiencies can be ironed out and he can be a decent player for us .

Interesting to see how far he would have slid if we didn't have the bro thing going on
Over paid? When Emma Quayle rates him in the top 25 picks of the draft, I'll trust her thanks.

Read an article somewhere this morning where David Noble is quoted as saying Knight has not only got great endurance he also addressed a need with his speed and outside run.

And don't forger Matt broke his hand prior to the champs and went in completely underdone, probably shouldn't have played. You'll soon change your mind I'm betting, heaps of upside here.

Now I know your bull essing everyone now. If you don't like him just admit it but don't make stuff up. If you watched his highlights (yes I now they are highlights and designed to make him look good) you would see his vision and decision making were pretty impressive. Defensive action? how many u18 teams have amazing defensive actions and spread? just fantastic. An arm chair expert who is going to great lengths to argue against this selection. I would love to listen to you speak your mind to Hamish and Noble, two guys that watched every game he played and couldn't speak more highly of him. Compared to some guy who is clearly making this stuff up to counter the speed and endurance issues that is a non issue.

Over paid? When Emma Quayle rates him in the top 25 picks of the draft, I'll trust her thanks.
EQ is noted for her ability to pick the draft order based upon info she gets from clubs, rather than actually rating players. Anyway I only saw her do a top 20 but nay have missed any extension she did

Now I know your bull essing everyone now. If you don't like him just admit it but don't make stuff up. If you watched his highlights (yes I now they are highlights and designed to make him look good) you would see his vision and decision making were pretty impressive. Defensive action? how many u18 teams have amazing defensive actions and spread? just fantastic. An arm chair expert who is going to great lengths to argue against this selection. I would love to listen to you speak your mind to Hamish and Noble, two guys that watched every game he played and couldn't speak more highly of him. Compared to some guy who is clearly making this stuff up to counter the speed and endurance issues that is a non issue.
Go look at his game against Metro - was across half back under limited pressure , runners around and he chooses a mid timed torp into the corridor.

As for " not liking him" - grow up, this is a purely football debate , not year 3 playground. I've absolutely nothing personal against him, and yes I love the brothers thing too ok. I'm just commenting on observations people have made who gave actually watched him play

Let's not forget the Ballarat Rebels have been the "easybeats" of the TAC Comp the last couple of seasons, playing when your team is always under pressure and outgunned by the opposition isn't an ideal situation either.

Crouch said in part in an interview “I had thought they might be a little bit interested ... but you’re never promised anything.”
Who was it said that he was promised he would be picked up if he slid to 23.
Why do people on this board make up so much bs?

I've just re read this post more closely - you sound like a jilted lover!

Last time I checked this forum allowed reasoned debate, and just because I don't agree with the majority does not make me any less entitled to comment thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this thread a sticky? Just curious as I can't really tell on the mobile app.

Anyway - I can't believe Crouch was still available at 23. I thought he'd be gone by then for all money.

Great get for us.

23_Matt-Crouch_Draft-Countdown-Article-Image.jpeg

These kids must seriously go at each other when you think that just 6 months ago Brad clocked him in the face and gave him a black eye. Given the history of broken bones and scuffles I think living apart would probably be for the best. Not saying they don't love each other or there's any malice in it, but clearly they can push each other's buttons and being in close proximity at home AND work could be a dumb idea.

The blessing with not having an engine is that we can build his fitness level the way we want to.

Anyone that has done any training will tell you, you can build up stamina and endurance easily with strong commitment and dedication.You make improvements each week and easily too.

He may not be playing in his first year, but he will be cherry ripe for 2015. Im happy he is here and I want both to be successful as it just paves the chance for them to be at our club for 10 years.

With his brother as support I dont see how this wont happen.

With all due respect he could just be smirking that PAP had passed over Matt for impy?
You know the world is back to normal when our board is like "hell yeah awesome pick up" and the PAP board is in meltdown over them drafting a nobody back pocket player who Emma Q gave the worst write up for in history.

These kids must seriously go at each other when you think that just 6 months ago Brad clocked him in the face and gave him a black eye. Given the history of broken bones and scuffles I think living apart would probably be for the best. Not saying they don't love each other or there's any malice in it, but clearly they can push each other's buttons and being in close proximity at home AND work could be a dumb idea.

I do agree, but I think common sense will prevail and they will live together. He may get a host family initially which wouldnt be a bad idea to start off with.

FFS Could you imagine on the eve of a GF they both get involved in a fight lol. Pleasant problem to have though.

Training will be interesting.

If there are departments at the club that I rate it would the recruiters and developers, they've managed to produce some quality players for us over the years despite the handicap of never having a single top five draft pick to work with. If they're willing to pick Matt Crouch, then I'm willing to back their judgement, and I look forward to watching Matt in crows colours (as an adult :p).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back