#44 - Matt Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

The only issue I have with Matt Crouch is that he has been described as a "lazy trainer".

I'm hoping that means "has been too injured to complete preseasons" rather than "doesn't like trying hard on the training track".

With his talent, want and desire are the only two added ingredients he'll need to succeed.

Who ever has described him as a lazy trainer it's just crap

As I have said repeatedly on many threads Matt's lack of endurance is a direct result of never completing a full pre-season because he was also an elite cricketer

Just like Trigg told the board he had the Tippett situation "under control"...

If the opposite were actually true and we did pick him because he's Brads brother and because we could spin it as a "win" to take pressure off the admin for the horrible situation they've put our club in, Ogilvy would hardly come out and say "yeah, I liked Cameron Giles better, but Triggy told me had to pick Crouch or I'd get fired..."

At the moment words mean nothing, of course Ogilvy would say he would have picked Crouch no matter his last name, we'll probably never know whether we received the full truth of it, all we can do is hope Crouch lives up to the hype.

Shutts clarified this on 5aa this morning, saying that Ogilvy had rated all the players likely to be selected in the draft, including all the guns and that his list had Matt Crouch at 13th and the best available when their pick came.

Apparently they were sweating it out when it was both Port's and Brisbane's turn before them.

I don't know whether you watched the draft James, but as Ogilvie called out the number and name for Matt Crouch, you could see Sando in the background looking like the cat that swallowed the canary. He was genuinely delighted.

Shutts clarified this on 5aa this morning, saying that Ogilvy had rated all the players likely to be selected in the draft, including all the guns and that his list had Matt Crouch at 13th and the best available when their pick came.

Apparently they were sweating it out when it was both Port's and Brisbane's turn before them.

I don't know whether you watched the draft James, but as Ogilvie called out the number and name for Matt Crouch, you could see Sando in the background looking like the cat that swallowed the canary. He was genuinely delighted.
Sando's comment before the draft on Crouch also showed how highly the club rated him, and that if he fell to pick 23, we would not hesitate.

The only issue I have with Matt Crouch is that he has been described as a "lazy trainer".

I'm hoping that means "has been too injured to complete preseasons" rather than "doesn't like trying hard on the training track".

With his talent, want and desire are the only two added ingredients he'll need to succeed.
17 year old kid .......not all players at that age are professional athletes like Talia

Always played cricket in off season ......like a lot of country kids, once footy finished on go the cricket whites

Really believe the full time AFL environment will do wonders for Matt Crouch .........have to believe Poulos & his team were heavily consulted b4 drafting Crouch

BTW .......would Dane Swan actually get drafted if he had to do a combine now?????
Worse looking footballer of all time (apologies Grenville Deitrich) ......slow, average kick ...

But hell if you can get the footy it's 2/3rds the battle

Crouch has already said he knows he needs to get fitter and can't wait to get stuck into it. His fitness will come, I hope his poise and disposal are better than what others have commented on.

Anyway, Crouch is our choice. We can debate who we should have taken and the merit of it but I think we'd all agree we all want him to turn out a gun and the steal of draft. Hope he and Brad smash it.
In every draft there are players that each club would ideally like ......but you take the best available at your pick

Some clubs chose for needs .....Freo wanted a ruckman, Port wanted a small speedy player ......we probably had a number of players that we would have liked ...we got Matt Crouch, Thompson has 1-2 years left and makes a perfect replacement

For his type none better than Crouch

Hope we look for speed and talls in the Rookie draft .....Darcy Cameron has to be a strong option

Crouch has already said he knows he needs to get fitter and can't wait to get stuck into it. His fitness will come, I hope his poise and disposal are better than what others have commented on.

Poise has never been questioned ......disposal issues IMO overstated

This gets me angry ......all player specs are all over the place & you don't know what to believe :mad:

Is Crouch 180cm or 183 cm tall ?????????????

Emma Quale
23. MATT CROUCH
(Nth Ballarat Rebels, 183cm, 80kg)
Crouch is ferocious. He throws himself at the ball and is often the last player up. Turned up to the combine with a black eye courtesy of older brother Brad; from all reports, it was payback. He's neither a great runner nor a brilliant kick but he's worked on both and his kicking is nothing to worry about. He gets most of his (many) possessions when the heat is on, and when he only has a split second to see what he should do. Wherever he ends up that club's supporters are sure to love him from day one.
Who will pick him? He's difficult to place. Could really go anywhere from the mid teens to the mid-20s. Will appeal to Port Adelaide, Brisbane and Hawthorn, if he gets that far

Imagine Matt stuffing something up and Brad gives him an earful on the ground (or vise versa) and we end up with a Gowans twins incident! Can't wait!!! I got $20 on Matt

Oh, I agree that he is set to improve markedly on his fitness. I just hope he has the right attitude to training. I imagine he does, the club would be pretty hot on that.

This gets me angry ......all player specs are all over the place & you don't know what to believe :mad:

Is Crouch 180cm or 183 cm tall ?????????????

I think the AFL website listed him as 184cm. I'd be inclined to assume he's a flat 6 foot.

Simon Goodwin & Matty Bode didn't have the same problems and they were both much better cricketers

If what you say is correct about Goody and Bode re cricket then they must have been absolutely bloody outstanding because Matt is a seriously good cricketer. Brad goes alright too!!

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/564052/matt-crouch-named-in-vic-u-17-team/

BALLARAT cricketer Matt Crouch will represent Victoria on the national stage next month.Crouch has been named in a 13-man squad for next month’s Cricket Australia under-17 national championships in Hobart.This is the second consecutive year Crouch has been called up for the week-long tournament.Crouch, a North Ballarat junior, is in his second season with Victorian Premier Cricket club Melbourne.The wicketkeeper/batsman made his firsts debut a fortnight ago, pulling on the gloves against St Kilda after a string of promising performances in the Melbourne seconds.North Ballarat Cricket Club president Greg Spratling said it was exciting to see Crouch doing so well with his cricket.“Matt’s a great kid. We’re pretty proud of him,” Spratling said.Crouch was 14 when he made his Ballarat Cricket Association A-grade debut with the Roosters.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/540943/vsssa-north-ballarats-matt-crouch-in-under-15-squad/

NORTH BALLARAT cricket prodigy Matt Crouch will represent his state for the second time in next year's national championships in Campbelltown, New South Wales.The wicketkeeper-batsman has been named in the 13-player Victorian Secondary Schools' Sports Association under-15 squad to take on the country's finest youngsters at the carnival between February 20-26.Crouch also played for Victoria at under-13 level.The 14-year-old's selection coincides with his debut season in the Ballarat Cricket Association club firsts competition, where he has joined older brother Brad in the Roosters choice eleven. He has produced some handy contributions at the top of the order and a number of dismissals behind the stumps.Crouch has made a total of 159 runs in first grade this season, headlined by knocks of 57 against Brown Hill and 40 against Golden Point. Crouch has also had a good season with the gloves, keeping in the past four matches for a return of four catches and two stumpings.Crouch will join former Gisborne player James Lidgett in the VSSSA team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not full of confidence on this selection. I think the perceived 'ancillary benefits' of the brothers aspect had to be a factor. I think this benefit is illusory IMO - I think the risk of losing both (or one because of or after the other) is as high as the reward of increasing chance retention. Even if this benefit is real I think there is then a strong risk of overrating the player because you're so attracted to the ancillary benefit.

Not full of confidence on this selection. I think the perceived 'ancillary benefits' of the brothers aspect had to be a factor. I think this benefit is illusory IMO - I think the risk of losing both (or one because of or after the other) is as high as the reward of increasing chance retention. Even if this benefit is real I think there is then a strong risk of overrating the player because you're so attracted to the ancillary benefit.
The AFC did not pick Matt because he is Brad's brother, I can't believe people think that's an issue. Ogilvie is not dumb. Strap in, this is going to September.

Im very much happy we got him, unlike some I think he has massive upside. He is still a kid, you can see how skinny he is still, I bet he will put on a fair amount of muscle in his first pre season alone and hopefully maybe we might see him this year.

Hearing Matt was a keeper at cricket is great. This must mean his reflexes and vision to see the ball at speed are very good. It explains why he is a clearance machine as he probably can predict where the ball is going a split second before his opponents. This combined with his hardness and desperation will carry over to AFL level very well.

He was my favorite player of the draft.
Averaged 38 disposals at TAC Cup AND 4 marks a game.
He's in absolute disposal machine, even if at AFL level if he averaged 20 less disposals then average he'd still be averaging 18. And then imagine how much better is he going to be once they build up his engine. (With endurance being the main problem)
He's going to be nearly unstoppable with the capabilities of accumulating possession like Swan. I highly doubt it's because his brother is at the same club. It's just that great football talent runs through the Crouch family. (Not to mention he's a clearance machine)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back