VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan 🐴 - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be handy second ruck produce some games that you think he will be able to take that next step as well as some games where you want him dropped we should be used to it deal with ryder for so long

Played well. Had a few "For ****s sake Smack" moments but good overall.

I was doing a lot of laminating for work and was pretty stoned so didn't have my attention on the screen all night. Everytime I looked up I noticed McKernan giving a free kick away and giggled to myself thinking about your preview.

I feel like "had a good game" is an understatement. That was the most complete game I've ever seen Smack put together. AND he wasn't a complete liability in the ruck contest.

Still don't think he'll ever be a best 22 first choice ruckman, but I'd love to see him playing as a backup ruck out of the forward line.

I feel like "had a good game" is an understatement. That was the most complete game I've ever seen Smack put together. AND he wasn't a complete liability in the ruck contest.

Still don't think he'll ever be a best 22 first choice ruckman, but I'd love to see him playing as a backup ruck out of the forward line.
Yeah, people seem to be underselling how good he was and it was consistent the whole game.

The 3 things which I think are most important for him to do he did very well, he's not expected to compete well in the ruck but he had about as favourable a match up as he could asked for and did well with his tap work, when the ball hit the deck he became another mid, not just a get it and hot potato it off either, he was calm and made good decisions and he was a constant figure around the ground making himself an available target as a bail out option for the backs and further up the wing. He was great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was a bit shocked to see 6 frees against. I only remember a couple. Lucky he didn't give away a 50 after reacting when Vickery jumper punched him in the face with both fists.

He pinged a few times for having such a long neck.

Keep this us for 10 weeks, and we ought to sign him up for two or three years.

He's serviceable enough as a ruck, excellent as a follower, I suspect is now playing with the intensity that will make him an effective tall forward and I can see him playing as an inside midfielder.

Basically, he's a really good "depth player". He might also be playing himself into the second ruck role.

I thought this guy was enormous last night. Nearly the reason we won.

All you ask from your team is that they give it everything, and McKernan's effort was 100%.

Great signs from McKernan, I might hold my judgement until he strings a few performances together. Could he simply become a big bodied midfielder? Certainly seemed to enjoy the freedom last night.

Yeah I like him as a big body mid love his long bomb goals from outside 50 seems to hit him sweet every time.

i couldnt really tell from the game but upon replay it seemed he was rucking differently? - he seemed to maybe be jumping more and hitting to advantage rather than stiff arming or trying to out body

didnt seem to be the ame old free kicks being paid

Played really well. He is always going to have a few moments but when he is on his second and third efforts are as good as anyone.
Berger takes his place when fit so it will be a tough choice if he plays while in good form.

i couldnt really tell from the game but upon replay it seemed he was rucking differently? - he seemed to maybe be jumping more and hitting to advantage rather than stiff arming or trying to out body

didnt seem to be the ame old free kicks being paid

He had a push paid against him at one centre square contest. I didn't really understand it, as his only other options were to let McEvoy knee him in the chest or lie on the ground.

The other free against that I thought was suspect was when he protected the space for a mark on the wing (against Gibson?) that looked clean to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back