Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Did McKenna retire based off not wanting to comply with AFL requirements? I think Jones is a different circumstance, as he was contracted with Carlton for this season.

I don't think McKenna will qualify as a free agent because of that too.
I think the media fiasco with his false positive test (which was a disgrace), being in the bubble and not being able to travel internationally freely, and the fact we had a bunch of good players leave meant he lost the passion to play.

I just checked and he was OOC at the end of 2021, so it may not be as analogous as I thought.

I’m not really interested from a list build perspective. We have a lot of options at HB. I’d rather continue developing D’Ambrosio. I do think he is an upgrade on Hind, but we’re not premiership contenders so I’m not too fussed.
He’s 26, and proven as an elite HBF we could get for free. We’d be idiots to not take him. If that makes Hind depth who cares? (other than Hind of course!)

And Mass can play forward if McKenna comes back.

Did McKenna retire based off not wanting to comply with AFL requirements? I think Jones is a different circumstance, as he was contracted with Carlton for this season.

I don't think McKenna will qualify as a free agent because of that too.
McKenna left because unprecedented travel restrictions meant he couldn’t see his family. The AFL and media exacerbated the issues with travel. He was contracted and we’d have him back in a second, matching any offer other clubs make.

That would be my pitch for compensation if he goes elsewhere.

McKenna isn’t a DFA, but could use the Preseason supplemental scheme.

I think the media fiasco with his false positive test (which was a disgrace), being in the bubble and not being able to travel internationally freely, and the fact we had a bunch of good players leave meant he lost the passion to play.

I just checked and he was OOC at the end of 2021, so it may not be as analogous as I thought.
McKenna retired before Saad and co. left im pretty sure.

I think the lockdowns & opportunity in Ireland were too much of a pull. I get that too.
Be ideal if Zach could do a little detour from Spain and get in his ear. did enjoy him and could do with his pace on the wing tbh, more than HBF.

He’s 26, and proven as an elite HBF we could get for free. We’d be idiots to not take him. If that makes Hind depth who cares? (other than Hind of course!)

McKenna left because unprecedented travel restrictions meant he couldn’t see his family. The AFL and media exacerbated the issues with travel. He was contracted and we’d have him back in a second, matching any offer other clubs make.

we got the money too.
he was 4th in our BnF in 2019. Stands to reason he was growing as a player and he enters his peak athletic period now.

Need the depth as well.

Wasnt he the guy who complained 24/7 about how much he didnt want to be here and wanted to be playing in Ireland with his mates and basically hated AFL and was only here for money $$ ??

I know we are desperate to have an international game and attract foreign players but maybe this is one the AFL should just say "yeah nah it's sweet, stay in Ireland"
No . It was the guy who was a bit homesick during Covid and ended up leaving early because he got hounded in the media over his positive- negative- negative Covid test .

So many sliding doors moments for our club that we end up on the wrong side of. Where some clubs land gun father/sons in successive years (Collingwood with Daicos' etc), or get top picks through academies (Sydney seemingly every year), Bulldogs hitting #1 pick with JUH after a grand final appearance and then #1 pick with a f/s if I'm not mistaken.

Our club loses gun players like Tippa and McKenna for nothing (and a team like Gee will pick him up as a free agent with no compo coming to us) and when we finally look like having a gun academy player it's right when the AFL change the rules meaning we'll almost certainly miss on Munkara.

Goddamn we must be due for some luck!

Edit - I'll also add having the club's first ever #1 pick in what would have to be considered one of the worst drafts in terms of elite top talent in recent memory as another sliding doors moment (consider #1 picks of subsequent drafts including Walsh and Rowell)

Last edited:

Elite? Nah, especially considering he hasn't really played since 2019. He'd be ok to get, but I'm not fussed given we have D'Ambrosio, McGrath and Hind (technically Lord too). I wouldn't be mad if they asked the question and he came back, but I wouldn't be devastated if he went elsewhere.

So many sliding doors moments for our club that we end up on the wrong side of. Where some clubs land gun father/sons in successive years (Collingwood with Daicos' etc), or get top picks through academies (Sydney seemingly every year), Bulldogs hitting #1 pick with JUH after a grand final appearance and then #1 pick with a f/s if I'm not mistaken.

Our club loses gun players like Tippa and McKenna for nothing (and a team like Gee will pick him up as a free agent with no compo coming to us) and when we finally look like having a gun academy player it's right when the AFL change the rules meaning we'll almost certainly miss on Munkara.

Goddamn we must be due for some luck!

Edit - I'll also add having the club's first ever #1 pick in what would have to be considered one of the worst drafts in terms of elite top talent in recent memory as another sliding doors moment (consider #1 picks of subsequent drafts including Walsh and Rowell)
don't forget that the AFL changed the PP rules in 2006 that meant we had to settle for Gumby/Leroy Jetta rather than Gumby/Joel Selwood

Why would Geelong be more likely to get Conor over us?

I loved watching Conor play, if he comes back to the AFL, I hope it’s with us.
You'd think if there was mutual interest from both Connor and Ess there wouldn't even be a question of other clubs being in the running

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much better player than Hind.

Last edited:
Yes that is clear. Just figured he’d have to join a list via draft, that’s all

If he’s a FA, then yeah, why would he come to us. Not sure if his mates are still there or now

If one of the more successful and stable clubs have enough money to throw at him I can't see why he'd choose us... especially if he's been reading any AFL news over the last few weeks/months.

Having said that I'd love for him to come back and play for us, would certainly be an upgrade on Hind.

A shot at a flag would be his only reason. Clearly he wouldn’t get paid as much at Geelong as other sides so not really sure that’s actually going to happen.
$$$?

its a good cash cow for 4-5 years of your life.
throw him the 600 he'd have been pushing (and we can clearly afford).

$$$?

its a good cash cow for 4-5 years of your life.
throw him the 600 he'd have been pushing (and we can clearly afford).
If it's money he wants he won't find another club with a heavier purse atm

If he wants to win a premiership in both sports he'd be better to choose somewhere else...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back