Player Watch #45 Hugo Ralphsmith

Remove this Banner Ad

His pace is exactly what the club needs but can't see him making it. Should’ve worked on his deficiencies in the magoos and be absolutely dominating as a 5th year player who's out of contract. Wtf was the bonehead who wouldn't combine him and Soldo for the Hopper deal. That aged badly.
Thought he was pretty good in the VFL. His kicking which is normally pretty average was really good, hit some very sharp passes.
Speaking of pace, Smith has plenty and looks to have a pretty good skill set. Didn't play on the weekend I'm hoping it's a management thing in relation to his foot stress fracture last season, building him up slowly.

Thought he was pretty good in the VFL. His kicking which is normally pretty average was really good, hit some very sharp passes.
Speaking of pace, Smith has plenty and looks to have a pretty good skill set. Didn't play on the weekend I'm hoping it's a management thing in relation to his foot stress fracture last season, building him up slowly.

I'm not making judgements on 1 game. Don't see many other teams VFL games last couple of years but so many fringe players like Naish, Lipinski, Rhylee West.... they're starved of opportunities at senior level whilst dominating magoos and are clearly too good for that level. He's up against kids and part timers, the slower pace of the game with his experience if he was any good he'd be carving teams up and taking the piss with 3 or 4 bounce runs getting Jayden Short like metres gained figures.

He just doesn't seem desperate with enough mongrel in him to stake his claim in an ordinary team with weaknesses across all lines. He hasn't even been an emergency in our 2 matche's so far. Our draft hands have been weak for years a part from 2021 (most of them aren't getting a game either) so how bad and lowly rated is he?

I'm not making judgements on 1 game. Don't see many other teams VFL games last couple of years but so many fringe players like Naish, Lipinski, Rhylee West.... they're starved of opportunities at senior level whilst dominating magoos and are clearly too good for that level. He's up against kids and part timers, the slower pace of the game with his experience if he was any good he'd be carving teams up and taking the piss with 3 or 4 bounce runs getting Jayden Short like metres gained figures.

He just doesn't seem desperate with enough mongrel in him to stake his claim in an ordinary team with weaknesses across all lines. He hasn't even been an emergency in our 2 matche's so far. Our draft hands have been weak for years a part from 2021 (most of them aren't getting a game either) so how bad and lowly rated is he?
Should've off loaded him last year.

Go get Florent from the Swans and put him in the #13 at the Tigers off Half Back:thumbsu:

Hugo can go play for one of his dads sides in the Haws or Aints, and we'll get whatever rubbish pick they want to throw at us for him so we can bundle up points to climb the draft order.

I think this guy needs a bit of love ….. it wasn’t long ago Kingsley wanted him to be apart of the orange tsunami so clearly there’s something to work with there in terms of talent

I think this guy needs a bit of love ….. it wasn’t long ago Kingsley wanted him to be apart of the orange tsunami so clearly there’s something to work with there in terms of talent

Well please call Kingsley and tell him we'll gladly accept pick 80 for him now. EOY he'll be desisted and we'll get zero offers. Maybe one of his Dads old clubs will rookie him out of pity.

Apparently he’s been dominating in the vfl ….. sounds like he will get a call up for the seniors this week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think his best position is Short/Rioli's and they arnt going anywhere.
Short could be used anywhere. He was pretty good in the middle when he played there, could play on the wing easily. He has definitely improved this year in the VFL so far. The main knock on him besides being not much of a contested player is his kicking. From what I have seen his kicking has been very good this year, from short passing to long kicking. Morris also mentioned improvement over the ball as well. We need to turn over some of our older players, and adding first year players or skinny kids is probably not the best way to go. Hugo is neither of those and has more weapons than say MacIntosh and possibly Pickett as well.

I thought he was gonna be something different after his first 2 years providing some line breaking pace. Has completely fallen off the cliff seniors wise and can't recall seeing him bounce or show any sign of having heart in forever. 5th year player in a rebuilding, injury decimated poorly performing team and just an emergency. Happy the kids are given opportunities over him.

On potential he is part of our future best 22

Athletically exactly what we need as a McIntosh replacement and has speed and tank to play the role
Just needs to tidy up his kicking efficiency and grow some B * lls
Just not sure he is hard enough at the man and ball.

Its a problem we have with Banks as well.

He's 22, we've had plenty of past players who at 22 were nothing special who went on to become handy players.

I don't have enormous hopes but I think it's worth giving him a few games and again across the season to see if he's a keep or delist.
Played 32 AFL games ... clicking for MRJ l, Miller, Mansell around this time ... his VFL form super exciting tbh ... has improved all deficiencies ... disposal, defending and decision making has been very good ...

Pickett into the middle to replace Taranto and Ralphsmith to wing or to HBF to replace Short or Rioli onto the wing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back