Past #46: Lachlan Hosie - delisted after 5 NM games/3 NM goals - thanks Hose

Remove this Banner Ad

Think of it as losing a player to injury except he isn't even on your list anymore.
When you are a state league club, you expect to lose players. Like it or not, you're essentially in the business of developing players to reach the highest level. Winning a premiership is secondary to that.

When you are a state league club, you expect to lose players. Like it or not, you're essentially in the business of developing players to reach the highest level. Winning a premiership is secondary to that.
And thus the fall of local, community footy cometh!

The AFL is that bloke at the partry no one likes, but you can't get rid of him.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mmm
Tyson
Hall
Pittard
Campbell
Anderson
Williams
Hrovat
Jacobs

That’s 8

Yeah. I don't have an issue with changes out of season but I think having specific players potentially play you twice for different teams in the same year is for the pits. I'd like to retain at least a modicum of the tribal nature that comes with the game and having players swap teams mid year is a massive cultural change.

If it's just being used as an opportunity for AFL clubs to add extra potential to their list, then just expand list sizes so an extra player or two can be taken at ND time. At least that way state teams can plan and recruit accordingly.

Otherwise, make clubs justify why they need to use the mid-season draft (injury or lack of depth) and make them nominate the position they are drafting for (ie - ruck, key forward etc). Then you can only draft a player that fills a specified need, and can't just try and list someone with potential ahead of the normal drafts.

I don't agree and I wouldn't think that the 40,000+ supporters who attended last year's SANFL grand final would either. Not everyone thinks that the sanitised pantomime that is the AFL is the be all and end all of footy.

It's like saying clubs like Ajax and Celtic, who are essentially feeders for the big European leagues, see winning their domestic championships as a secondary goal.

Hopefully his goal-kicking ability can translate to AFL level because there's certainly a spot in a side for someone that can kick majors. Wood, Turner and Garner have combined for two bags of four goals between them from 152 games. Don't think that will changes massively in the future. Zurhaar looks promising, as do TT and Taylor but at this point we really don't know what sort of players those three will be exactly.

I don't agree and I wouldn't think that the 40,000+ supporters who attended last year's SANFL grand final would either. Not everyone thinks that the sanitised pantomime that is the AFL is the be all and end all of footy.

It's like saying clubs like Ajax and Celtic, who are essentially feeders for the big European leagues, see winning their domestic championships as a secondary goal.
I'm so pissed we got the worst UCL final possible out of that final 4. But yeah AFL do push its weight for a comp running on Foxtel money.

The reality says otherwise. It's the same with every sport. Players want to play at the highest level, and will not be stopped. If you play in Romanian soccer league and get an offer to join EPL mid season, you most definitely will do so, and your Romanian club will be compensated, end of story. Their own premiership ambitions are secondary. It has always been and always will be.

The reality says otherwise. It's the same with every sport. Players want to play at the highest level, and will not be stopped. If you play in Romanian soccer league and get an offer to join EPL mid season, you most definitely will do so, and your Romanian club will be compensated, end of story. Their own premiership ambitions are secondary. It has always been and always will be.

State league clubs aren't getting compensated though, and don't have a transfer window in which to sign a replacement. They are just losing a player halfway through the season who may or may not end up playing AFL, and will more than likely just play in another state team/league for the rest of the season. How do you prepare for that?

State league clubs aren't getting compensated though, and don't have a transfer window in which to sign a replacement. They are just losing a player halfway through the season who may or may not end up playing AFL, and will more than likely just play in another state team/league for the rest of the season. How do you prepare for that?
The AFL has to get the compensation part right. That's the only missing link.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL simply takes what it wants and then tells the poor old supplier to be happy with the privilege of providing a service.
South Fremantle would have been better off clearing a reserves player to another club than having Pickett move to Richmond.
The WA Football Commission appeared to be supportive of the mid-season draft this week despite the damage that it may do to the WAFL.
Not so the SANFL where feisty CEO Jake Parkinson nailed the issues that could damage the State leagues and undermine football’s overall health.
“This mid-season disruption comes at the expense of our SANFL clubs, their coaches, players, volunteers, members, sponsors and supporters,” Parkinson said.
“We have a strong and vibrant State league competition, the fabric of which should be cherished and protected.
“Decisions made that erode the vibrancy of the competition are not in the interest of Australian football.”

Agree. It's rubbish.

So long as they have got people taking an interest in it AFL house would be happy, they couldn't care less about any other teams/leagues other than themselves. Pre

Welcome Hosie and hope he takes his chance.

However this mid season draft nonsense should be dumped immediately.

Absurd concept and completely unfair to clubs and supporters of local leagues.

Just read that apparently if a drafted player goes to a club that doesn't make the finals eg North he can return to the original club if that team has made the finals. Trying to find another source.
Have heard this too, so have my fingers crossed Sydney keep losing.

Lachlan HOSIE (Glenelg)
2019 SANFL

Totals
  • 8 games
  • 21 goals
  • 13 behinds
  • 3 times in best players list

Averages
  • 11.3 kicks
  • 3.3 handballs
  • 14.5 disposals
  • 5.6 marks
  • 2.1 tackles
  • 2.0 frees for
  • 1.3 frees against
  • 2.5 inside 50s
  • 0.1 rebound 50s
  • 82.00 AFL Fantasy points

Lachlan HOSIE (Glenelg)
2018 SANFL

Totals
  • 13 games
  • 24 goals
  • 16 behinds
  • 1 time in best players list

Averages
  • 7.9 kicks
  • 0.9 handballs
  • 8.9 disposals
  • 4.5 marks
  • 1.4 tackles
  • 1.0 frees for
  • 1.1 frees against
  • 2.0 inside 50s
  • 0.1 rebound 50s
  • 55.08 AFL Fantasy points

Well if their players feel the same way then they don't have to nominate for the draft.

Non-professional sporting clubs have every right to be mad when their star players head over to a rival. They are pathetic if they begrudge the person moving onto a higher level. I say this being involved with an amateur sporting club that has lost several of our best talents to the higher levels (not the highest, just the rung above).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back