Past #46: Lachlan Hosie - delisted after 5 NM games/3 NM goals - thanks Hose

Remove this Banner Ad

Glenelg’s Lachlan Hosie joins North Melbourne after being picked up in mid-season draft

May 28, 2019
Warren Partland

Lachlan Hosie was a Glenelg footballer building concrete swimming pools for his dad Paul’s company on Monday. The next day he was a full-time footballer for North Melbourne.

Hosie’s life took a massive change in direction on Monday night when he was picked up by the Kangaroos with the No. 5 selection in the mid-season draft.

His elevation to the national stage was no surprise, speculation was rife he was headed to the AFL system after using his athletism and lust for the high-flying mark to rise to the top of the goalkicking list this season with 21 from eight games.

“I’m over the moon,” Hosie said. “I’d not really thought about the draft to be honest, just try and play consistent footy for Glenelg.

“I tried to keep it low key, ignore it and try and help win games for Glenelg. I’m stoked to get this opportunity with a great club like North Melbourne, but at the same time I was really happy playing for Glenelg.

“Monday was a pretty long day, I’m not going to lie. I worked with dad to try and keep my mind off it (draft).

“But once it got to 5pm, the nerves started to kick in. I was not going in with any expectations and if it happened, it happened. It’s crazy, going from working with dad to full-time footballer. I’m so pumped.”

Hosie played his junior football at Henley, but notes he never played first 18 for his school St Michaels.

He said his game flourished when he got to the Tigers as an 18-year old, and he claims the Glenelg Football Club had been the best thing to happen to him. That is until now.

“Glenelg has been unreal for me and I cannot thank them enough,” he said. “It has been unbelievable this year and it is the tightest bunch of mates at the club.

“The culture there at the moment and the belief, plus the game style (coach) Mark (Stone) is teaching us .... the last six games (six wins) from last year, we went into this year with a lot of belief.

“Everyone is playing their role and there are no real individuals.”

The Tigers are top of the ladder after dropping just one of their eight games. Hosie has taken his game to a new level and he mentions a meeting with Stone where they discussed other facets he could bring to the team.

To be known as more than a kick-mark player, he admits he needed to find other ways to influence games such as his ground level play and defensive work.

“A good pre-season put me in good stead and Stoney gave me some licence to bring my flair to games, I’ve loved it,” he said.

“Working with Josh Scott, Liam McBean and Jesse White, they have been really good for me and tremendous for my growth.”

Whoops, forgot about that! Did anyone take 27? Loogie can give the new loogie that number. And just for the hell of it re-present Garner with the 6.
Just get out the Footy Record with Heppell's dumbarse face grinning at you, you idiot! Will Walker.
Who knew we had this many players on the list? Looks like it's 29 or something with three digits. Nothing special about 29 is there? 🤔

Haven’t seen Glenelg play this year but caught up with my SANFL insider and his words “the boy can play, don’t worry about that”. Knows how to find the goals and is tough to match up on.

I have an inkling he might get a run or two this season

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well if their players feel the same way then they don't have to nominate for the draft.

Non-professional sporting clubs have every right to be mad when their star players head over to a rival. They are pathetic if they begrudge the person moving onto a higher level. I say this being involved with an amateur sporting club that has lost several of our best talents to the higher levels (not the highest, just the rung above).
I don't have any problem whatsoever with individual players nominating themselves for the draft and trying to get to the highest level they can. I'm questioning the assumption that all lower leagues exist solely to provide players for the AFL and that the clubs in these leagues see this as their primary role, with winning flags subservient to this. That's utter crap and I think it's condescending and hugely disrespectful to local competitions that have been around for decades and, in some cases, longer than the VFL/AFL.

I've been involved with a number of lower tier footy clubs over the years and none of them have ever had anything other than winning premierships as their primary goal. That's why you play footy, regardless of the level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven’t seen Glenelg play this year but caught up with my SANFL insider and his words “the boy can play, don’t worry about that”. Knows how to find the goals and is tough to match up on.
Next Minute he plays the entire year in the VFL!

Oh wait(e), Brad Scotts no longer coach, he will probably get some senior game time over previous poster childs!

Next Minute he plays the entire year in the VFL!

Oh wait(e), Brad Scotts no longer coach, he will probably get some senior game time over previous poster childs!
practically speaking this is the most likely outcome regardless who is coaching. it would take injuries to likely give him an in. pretty obvious he was recruited for depth/coverage and possibly to observe him /get first dibs on him at end of season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back