Player Watch #7: Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't notice any mistakes but he worries me come finals he struggled to get into the game early got better as the game went on.. the conditions helped though on a sunny day come finals we need McIntosh speed/endurance big advocate for him being in the team.

Agreed on Kmac, exactly the type we need in a final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a big KMac fan but he’s going to have a hard time knocking this bloke out of the team.
Live at the game on Sunday a few times Baker really made me sit up and take notice with some of his play.

Probably too late now that we're in finals to be tinkering with things but I've often wondered why we haven't swapped Baker and Castagna's on field positions. Castagna is a scratchy forward but has a great defensive skillset. Baker has shown some solid forwardcraft but is found wanting defensively. What could go wrong?

Probably too late now that we're in finals to be tinkering with things but I've often wondered why we haven't swapped Baker and Castagna's on field positions. Castagna is a scratchy forward but has a great defensive skillset. Baker has shown some solid forwardcraft but is found wanting defensively. What could go wrong?
Castanga turnovers in the backline would kill us

Not a silly thought. Castagna would be a great in-case-of-emergency-break-glass defender. He'd confuse everybody, including teammates, but he does that anyway in the forward half.

Back to the magoos. Liability down back

Rayner gave him a bath I thought. Eventually had to move Houli To Rayner. Bakes got better after that, but I'm not sure he is a backman, plays very wide and not always goal side either.

Rayner gave him a bath I thought. Eventually had to move Houli To Rayner. Bakes got better after that, but I'm not sure he is a backman, plays very wide and not always goal side either.

He also is a terrible matchup for someone like raynor. He’s all of 173cm so putting him against a power player like that will never go well for him.

He’s a really smart player with clean skills so I like him in the team, but think he maybe doesn't have the athleticism to go with small forwards and will get outmuscled on anyone bigger. I think we’re a better team with him in it, though I suspect sometimes the matchups might work against him if he stays in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back