Past #5: Ben Warren - drafted with #69 in '06 ND - delisted at end of 2012 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Benny Warren has been awarded "Play of the Week" on AFL Winners, For his running into the behind post and still managing to get up and kick a goal.

Must admit it had me in hysterics when it happened.

I went from crying (when he ran into the post) to laughing (when he got up and kicked the goal).

Then I was crying again a little later when he missed the bounce and couldn't pick the ball up when he was 50 metres clear. Memories of D-Mac and Danny Stevens come flooding back.

Then I was cheering when Azza did a beautiful handpass to Benny and it didn't knock him unconscious.

Interesting player is Benny.

I did enjoy the part where some Eagle was defending in the goalsquare right of screen against Sam Wright and the commentator said he (the Eagle) must be "clean". When the Eagle completely misses the ball, the commentator says "well, not that clean".

Then Sammy gathers cleanly and goals. HaHa, I'm laughing.

Have a look at Naitanui, strolling around (and rolling around) like he's in the two's for nerrandera.

Some of his taps to advantage were as good as you'll ever see.

He is an enigma at present. Good and not so good at any given moment.

It's like when a parent tries to be angry at their child for doing something wrong but they can't hold back the laughter because it's so funny at the same time.

If i had the 'know how' and the footage i would make a warren gag reel with all his fumbles and goal line falls and put it to this sound effect on loop... (push play, it's only a 5 sec clip)

[YOUTUBE]l9rN4w1MXO4[/YOUTUBE]

If done well it would find it's way back to the boys and they would give him so much s**t, would be a pissa@!

I like Warren as a player, BUT, next year he must stay on his feet and stick more contested marks, or alternatively, find the space to take an uncontested mark. Whatever which way he does it, he must get more out of himself. Needs to go to the 'Sammy Wright School of one touch footy'.

It's like when a parent tries to be angry at their child for doing something wrong but they can't hold back the laughter because it's so funny at the same time.

If i had the 'know how' and the footage i would make a warren gag reel with all his fumbles and goal line falls and put it to this sound effect on loop...

[YOUTUBE]l9rN4w1MXO4[/YOUTUBE]

If done well it would find it's way back to the boys and they would give him so much s**t, would be a pissa@!

I like Warren as a player, BUT, next year he must stay on his feet and stick more contested marks, or alternatively, find the space to take an uncontested mark. Whatever which way he does it, he must get more out of himself. Needs to go to the 'Sammy Wright School of one touch footy'.

Yes. We love watching Benny but sometimes we think the easier it is (mark, handball receive etc) the more likely he is to stuff it up.

No doubting his infectious courage, enthusiasm and willingness to work hard though. I'll be shocked if Bon can't polish those rough edges over summer.

Ben Warren still has to do the 'run with the ball and touch it on the ground and leave it behind' trick yet.
The club is sitting on a goldmine of dvd sales with Hansen and Warren highlight packages.

Benny was supposed to help chair Boomer off at the end of the game but the club wasn't prepared to take that big a risk.

Benny has been told by the club to "stay away from team mates" during goal celebrations.

Every ones got some sort of disorder these days. I'm pretty sure a heart felt doco on Warren and how he is coping with the symptoms of 'Disequilibrium' will soon grace the airwaves.

Disequilibrium is the sensation of being off balance, and is most often characterized by frequent falls in a specific direction (forward with the ball in Warren's case). This condition is not often associated with nausea or vomiting.

i haven't seen Benny Vomit on the field, a clear indication he is suffering from Disequilibrium.

I'll be feelin for the boy next time he goes belly up, brings a tear to my eye thinking about his courage and determination each time he takes the field.

Benny has been told by the club to "stay away from team mates" during goal celebrations.

Every ones got some sort of disorder these days. I'm pretty sure a heart felt doco on Warren and how he is coping with the symptoms of 'Disequilibrium' will soon grace the airwaves.

i haven't seen Benny Vomit on the field, a clear indication he is suffering from Disequilibrium.

I'll be feelin for the boy next time he goes belly up, brings a tear to my eye thinking about his courage and determination each time he takes the field.

Will 30-second quotes from Fatprick, Cowro and Iron Mike be used to pad out, I mean enhance, the doco? Could be a ratings bonanza.

Quote:
Disequilibrium is the sensation of being off balance, and is most often characterized by frequent falls in a specific direction (forward with the ball in Warren's case). This condition is not often associated with nausea or vomiting.

Said doco will reveal the shocking truth behind Warren's constant battle with his centre of gravity...

From the teaser...

Destined to become an AFL footballer, Ben Warren's career looked to be set from the early age of 13. Tall, Athletic and standing at 186cm at just 13 years of age, the young Queenslander had high hopes of holding down one of the league's premier Ruck divisions. But with a cruel twist of fate, he was struck down with a rare condition that put an end to the youngster's growth spurt and kept him at the respectable, but far short from rucking, height of 186 cm.
"It was disappointing for Ben yeah sure, " says Ben's dad, "but he kept on with his footy and looked at other ways his shorter stature could find a game."
"Sometimes i look at him out on the footy field, fumbling below the knees, losing his feet and missing those running goals from 15 out and i just think, 'It's like there's one giant Ruckman trapped in that little body of his, and every now and then it just reminds him of what might've been.'"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there is a bit of adam mcphee about this guy (in mcphees early days). big strong lad who can do the courageous stuff but also prone to the odd brain explosion.

looks a likely type for the future though

Re: 35. Ben Warren

Scraped into round 1 as the substitute. Came on late in the game when most players were out on their feet due to the heat. Unfortunately Milky had little impact. Officially only 2 marks resulting in 2 kicks. No shots on goal.
A substitute Ben is not. If he had the versatility to play up the ground we would have seen in it this game. In many peoples' minds Ben is competing with Edwards and McKinley for a place in the forward line. On Sunday he lost significant ground to Edwards and probably tied with McKinley in a nil all draw.

Ben played for Werribee today against Collingwood. He put in an encouraging four quarter performance in which he accumulated 23 possessions and kicked 1 goal. In my opinion he showed some improvement in his ground skills by gathering some 'hot' balls and dishing off quickly by hand to players in a better position. He may need to explore this side of his game further because there were a couple of occasions he tried very short kicks when under pressure only to be knocked off balance.
Despite trying desperately to get back in the seniors Ben demonstrated a selfless attitude and on numerous occasions he passed the ball onto team mates when realistically he could have had a ping at goal himself. Overall this game was a step in the right direction for Ben.

I didn't watch Sunday's game but I thought it needed posting that Ben had a big game. In another thread Ben Carbanaro posted the following summation of his game:
"63.Warren- a super best on ground kicking six goals and taking some very strong marks. His leading and contested work really impressed also. Had 19 disposals, 6 marks (3 contested), 2 tackles, 1 spoil and kicked 6 goals 1 behind."

I read also from another Big Footy poster that Ben kept his feet better than he has in the past. Ben will always be monitored by people in this area. Hopefully Ben has improved his flexibility and in turn has the capacity to keep his feet whilst under extreme physical exertion and pressure from the opposition.

Ben played in the seniors against the Bulldogs. He had a good game and personally he would have disappointed to be subbed off at 3 qtr time. He lead well, had sticky hands and his disposal was good. He kept his feet well when pressured and he showed he still has a liking for placing a big bump on the oppostion. For the position he played and with so many North forwards demanding the ball and playing well I don't think anyone could of had a better game.
I would be shocked not to see him named against the Lions.

Another good effort from Ben. Lead well, marked strongly and kept his feet. Kicked a goal early and then missed a couple of shots that will be playing over and over in his head. He was subbed early in the the third. If it was schoolboy footy he should have kept running away from the runner because he had played very well to that point in time.
He appears to have worked on his game's weaknesses in the twos and it is now just a matter of opportunity presenting itself. There is a lot to be respected about people taking demotion on the chin and working hard on their game. His afl career is well and truly alive.

Another good effort from Ben. Lead well, marked strongly and kept his feet. Kicked a goal early and then missed a couple of shots that will be playing over and over in his head. He was subbed early in the the third. If it was schoolboy footy he should have kept running away from the runner because he had played very well to that point in time.
He appears to have worked on his game's weaknesses in the twos and it is now just a matter of opportunity presenting itself. There is a lot to be respected about people taking demotion on the chin and working hard on their game. His afl career is well and truly alive.

Good summary and agree completely.

I've like Ben's last 2 weeks. Hope he keeps his spot. Ben presents over and over and is the blue collar element of the forward line against the power of Petrie and efforts of Pedo, Edwards et al. Ben's work on his OH marking are noticeable and he generally sizes up his options well though could do this a bit quicker.

If he can keep up this workrate it gives us a consistent reliable avenue into the forward line to hedge against the more 'brilliant' aspects of some of the others up there.

As I said in another thread recently, I was able have a look at Milky on the weekend and he put on another very solid performance for the Bees against what I rate as a pretty quality outfit.

He continues to work tirelessly, up and down the field.

He seemed an improved model compared to Ben of 2009-10 and even 11.

He looks more rounded physically, and probably as fit as ever, but one thing I noticed was his agility and work at ground level looks to be more 'comfortable' for him.

Listening to him in this interview that the club have put up, Ben's attitude reflects his commitment and dedication to football, which is very good.

[YOUTUBE]PLQAmjaN4eg[/YOUTUBE]

Really hope we see him in action this year.

On current form he deserves it. Though he may have to wait patiently for a little longer yet.

If you don't love Milky then there's something psychologically wrong with you.

I really hope he gets a crack and nails a spot.

He has improved over the pre-season.

I have no doubt about that.

His pre-season form was excellent and he has been working tirelessly to get back into the 22. His core strength has improved dramatically and he is shaking tackles, and standing his ground a lot better. Would love to keep him for a few more seasons, ready made replacement for Edwards IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back