Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaved 30 seconds off his time trial this year. His tank is still a work in progress but people forget Martin couldn’t run out games at all in his first few years. Trac is lacking confidence, is rushing things way more than last year.
Yep, he's a naturally heavy dude who did an ACL at 18. No shock to see him still battling a bit in the fitness stakes, unfortunately.

Agree with this. I reckon he put himself in alot of good spots which is half the battle of form. Same thing ANB and Melk were doing.
Yeah exactly, in the weeks before those two kicked into gear, you could tell it was coming, and presumably thats why the coaches stuck with them. Melk was starting to get shots at goal but missing them, ANB was getting the footy but fumbling it etc. Trac was getting around the footy, but fumbled a few times, and duffed a few kicks, he isn't far away. He's still damn near impossible tackle tho, that in itself is a skill to build a player around.

Yeah exactly, in the weeks before those two kicked into gear, you could tell it was coming, and presumably thats why the coaches stuck with them. Melk was starting to get shots at goal but missing them, ANB was getting the footy but fumbling it etc. Trac was getting around the footy, but fumbled a few times, and duffed a few kicks, he isn't far away. He's still damn near impossible tackle tho, that in itself is a skill to build a player around.

Within a month I reckon he will be back in form. Showing the same signs as the others.

The press really talked him up heading into this season - perhaps he's struggling with the expectation?

The good news is that there are 21 other blokes doing their job and we're winning games, and he has more than enough quality to get through this just like Jetta & Hibberd with their slow starts.

That tap down to Melks was exquisite. You can’t teach that stuff, 9 out of 10 take possession there and the play is killed. Hawks and Geelong have had a few like minded players over the years.
I reckon the players are getting a really good knowledge of each other’s games. This is also contributing to Levers form.

Shaved 30 seconds off his time trial this year. His tank is still a work in progress but people forget Martin couldn’t run out games at all in his first few years. Trac is lacking confidence, is rushing things way more than last year.

Yeah, I probably should have expanded that I don't necessarily think he's unfit just that after one contest I reacted with the thought he looked a bit heavy.

still showing great signs imo. There are a few things he does every week that make me think wow.

12-18 months off peak fitness and AFL domination imo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just thought he'd be dominating games. We don't need him to, but I still feel the hype isn't matched by his output. Oliver we know is a better player ATM and now Gus is flying past him as well. OMac I'd argue is even giving us more right now. Has a tendency to try too much as well. I just see Degoey playing a similar role at Collingwood and has had a couple of massive games this year, where Trac gets more press and hype, yet is still yet to deliver a game where he's torn it apart tbh.

he'll come good, he's still a good contributor even if he's not starring yet. but i think one way he can easily and almost instantly improve his game is to stop doing so many of the the dinky kicks off 1 step. looks good when it comes off but he stuffs up quite a few of them by missing the target or kicking it into the man in front of him etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greek?! Pretty confidant it’s italian mate get it right

Am I supposed to be able to tell all these greasy pasta-munching wop dago campaigner ethnicities apart??

he'll come good, he's still a good contributor even if he's not starring yet. but i think one way he can easily and almost instantly improve his game is to stop doing so many of the the dinky kicks off 1 step. looks good when it comes off but he stuffs up quite a few of them by missing the target or kicking it into the man in front of him etc.
Exactly what i was going to say. His kicking efficiency would improve a lot if he just took a few steps back on the mark.

I actually think as our run gets a bit tougher over the next few weeks against some stronger opposition, he'll come to the fore because we'll need him to.
At the moment, we haven't NEEDED him to dominate. Sounds stupid but for the last 4 weeks, nearly every one of our best 22 have played 2 or so good games.
We've done well to thump some lowly sides but everyone is 'getting a lick' as they say.
Some of these blokes like Harmes, ANB, Melk, Hannan might not be as up to scratch against better oppo so he'll NEED to stand up.

I actually think as our run gets a bit tougher over the next few weeks against some stronger opposition, he'll come to the fore because we'll need him to.
At the moment, we haven't NEEDED him to dominate. Sounds stupid but for the last 4 weeks, nearly every one of our best 22 have played 2 or so good games.
We've done well to thump some lowly sides but everyone is 'getting a lick' as they say.
Some of these blokes like Harmes, ANB, Melk, Hannan might not be as up to scratch against better oppo so he'll NEED to stand up.
Sounds a bit wishful :p

I love you Sando.

In an appropriate forum way obviously.

I mentioned it in the gameday thread, but I think Petracca's problem is similar to the problem that Hogan had before this year, where he puts such pressure on himself to be the number 1 go-to guy who can rip games apart, that he sometimes messes up the simpler things. Hogan's game has been turned around by giving him a clear team role that doesn't require him to be the centre of attention (he only had 15 touches and one goal on Sunday, but was still one of our better players) and I think Trac would benefit from something similar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back