Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

Remove this Banner Ad

Put Petracca on the franking ball if we're getting killed and can't get it forward pls.

Kid has Sylvia talent, let's not * this one up

If truck ends up being what Sylvia ended up being he'll be a huge bust. I think he has Gary Ablett/Dangerfield potential,
I think Colin had a better body for the midfield and more talent than either of those 2, the head on the other hand...

Trac seems to have his head on straight and be a more professional figjam which could see him up there with the best in the league injuries permitting if we don't * his development up.

I have thought lately that he's a bit like Robbie Gray with better marking ability.
His pre draft highlights reminded me of Dangerfield. Anyway we have ourselves a gem.

He has the selfishness the absolute elite have .. Melbourne hasn't had a player who wants to be the man in years .. it's about time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liam Jurrah says hi
Nope. Col had just as much talent and didn't get here from what is effectively another planet. LJ was as talented if not more but Col was a lazy campaigner who could have truly been a superstar.

Nope. Col had just as much talent and didn't get here from what is effectively another planet. LJ was as talented if not more but Col was a lazy campaigner who could have truly been a superstar.

Consider this, Hogan has kicked 83 goals in 36 games and people want to pay him a million dollars a season

Jurrah kicked 81 goals in 36 games and is now doing nothing
Liam Jurrah is the most talent wasted that I've ever seen

Lets not get too carried away about one kick. His disposal has been indifferent so far.

Agreed. His kicking for goal has been awful at times. Im not quite understanding the absolute fanboy love for him. Yeah, he's been pretty good for a 2nd year player, but hasnt ripped games apart like Hogan did a few times in his 2nd year. Still has a long way to go before I'm convinced he'll be an A Grade talent. Hogan and Viney to a lesser extent have already proven they will be something special.

Strangely i have to actually agree with TK on this one. Sylvia at least managed 163 games and while he was incrediblu lazy and lived a pretty unhealthy life from an athletes perspective he did at least manage an 11 year career. Jurrah might have been the most mercurial freakish talent i've ever seen. Can you imagine him in our forward line with Watts Hogan and Jeffy. He'd make our forward line truly unstoppable. Very similar in that neither had their heads screwed on properly at all or applied themselves.

Agreed. His kicking for goal has been awful at times. Im not quite understanding the absolute fanboy love for him. Yeah, he's been pretty good for a 2nd year player, but hasnt ripped games apart like Hogan did a few times in his 2nd year. Still has a long way to go before I'm convinced he'll be an A Grade talent. Hogan and Viney to a lesser extent have already proven they will be something special.
Viney to a lesser extent? I'm convinced he is Joel Selwood in a Melbourne uniform. Viney, Hogan and Gawn are already elite.

Viney to a lesser extent? I'm convinced he is Joel Selwood in a Melbourne uniform. Viney, Hogan and Gawn are already elite.

Yeah, I might be a bit harsh on Viney. Still don't quite think he or Hogan are quite at an A Grade standard just yet, but they're not far off. Petracca's kicking has me a little worried though. Too many kicks are shanks. Needs to improve in that area and play more in the middle before I start salivating over his talents. I love our kids though. So much potential. More than I have ever seen on an MFC list before coming through. Gawn, Hogan, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Hunt, Oliver, Salem, Tyson, Kent, TMac, Stretch, Weideman. Throw in Sam Frost who could turn into a really solid defender, ANB who I still think can really play and should get more of a go, and also OMac who is developing ok, and we have the potential makings of not just a solid team, but a team who can actually have the best crack at success at this club for decades. God I hope Goodwin can coach!!!!

Agreed but I think Viney has more oomph about him than Selwood, blokes like Selwood and Petracca are huge assholes and it brings out the best of them on the field, but Viney is just pure campaigner (Hard C word) and will do anything to push a blokes buttons like a Mitch Robinson.

Yeah, I might be a bit harsh on Viney. Still don't quite think he or Hogan are quite at an A Grade standard just yet, but they're not far off. Petracca's kicking has me a little worried though. Too many kicks are shanks. Needs to improve in that area and play more in the middle before I start salivating over his talents. I love our kids though. So much potential. More than I have ever seen on an MFC list before coming through. Gawn, Hogan, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Hunt, Oliver, Salem, Tyson, Kent, TMac, Stretch, Weideman. Throw in Sam Frost who could turn into a really solid defender, ANB who I still think can really play and should get more of a go, and also OMac who is developing ok, and we have the potential makings of not just a solid team, but a team who can actually have the best crack at success at this club for decades. God I hope Goodwin can coach!!!!

Hogan and Viney arent A grade standard yet
If grade is the top 20% of the competition im not convinced either of them are are in there yet
Both need another season at a better level than this one to be A grade IMO
Gawn is an A grade ruckman, Hogan Viney Mcdonald Vince Jones Watts and Tyson are B graders IMO .. The first 3 and last 2 have the potential to jump into A grade hopefully next year

Hogan and Viney arent A grade standard yet
If grade is the top 20% of the competition im not convinced either of them are are in there yet
Both need another season at a better level than this one to be A grade IMO
Gawn is an A grade ruckman, Hogan Viney Mcdonald Vince Jones Watts and Tyson are B graders IMO .. The first 3 and last 2 have the potential to jump into A grade hopefully next year
The * is "a grade" anyway apart from some made up s**t. It's not a skills category with any uniform meaning so not exactly worth debate. I think everyone on Melbourne's list is A-grade though maybe not Matt Jones.

The **** is "a grade" anyway apart from some made up s**t. It's not a skills category with any uniform meaning so not exactly worth debate. I think everyone on Melbourne's list is A-grade though maybe not Matt Jones.

A Grade would mean you are one of the best at your position in the AFL
Save your melting for the game day thread because it might end up more entertaining than the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back