Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

If true, is the Club trying to establish his actual contract value in the market? If it is high then what is the offering in return?
Based on this, and Ben's view, the Club makes the decision.

Trading Brown now would be the very definition of selling low.

Out of form
Out of contract

Wed only have a poorer hand would be if he was a free agent as well.

Not saying don't look at offers but to entertain one it would need to be significant overs.

Brown in our shades of dysfunction has been the most consistent forward over the previous 3 seasons.

In a fully functional team with some clear forward ball movement and he'd be head and shoulders the best forward.

Let's not solve a potential short term form issue with a potential long term gap.

Form notwthstanding Brown is the only senior player (26+) with any significant currency. If we are rebuilding and looking for more early picks then he is our main asset.

Sure, let’s just get rid of the best key forward in the comp for the last 4 years just because he’s been down on form for a few games, in what has been the most unusual season for a very, very long time. And also I’ll add, I don’t think there’s a key forward that could do a lot more than him in the forward line with the way we are kicking inside 50.

No, we’d be trading him because he’ll turn 28 in November and him kicking 60 goals per year over the next 3 years while we languish in the bottom six doesn’t help anyone.

Sure, let’s just get rid of the best key forward in the comp for the last 4 years just because he’s been down on form for a few games, in what has been the most unusual season for a very, very long time. And also I’ll add, I don’t think there’s a key forward that could do a lot more than him in the forward line with the way we are kicking inside 50.

that’s not the reason

If we are in rebuild mode and I mean full rebuild mode , in my opinion which means sfa then this is the correct decision moving forward . If Ben is on the table then we owe it to others such as Taz , Higgo etc to ask them if they would like a shot at a flag somewhere else and if the right deal is there then we would be negligent not to act . The time has come for change and we must act .

If we are in rebuild mode and I mean full rebuild mode , in my opinion which means sfa then this is the correct decision moving forward . If Ben is on the table then we owe it to others such as Taz , Higgo etc to ask them if they would like a shot at a flag somewhere else and if the right deal is there then we would be negligent not to act . The time has come for change and we must act .
Nah, they’re contracted and things can turn around very quickly. Have a look at the dogs from a few years ago.. It’s about getting talented kids in supported by senior players..

Ok so it appears the club is doing what it should be doing and seeking to get an understanding of what demand is out there for BBB.

A very sensible move (if true) and one that a few of us suggested a few weeks back needed to happen....cue sky not falling in...club still exists....

'Overs' doesn't need to be 2 top 10 picks - no one is going to offer that and we need to get over that idea pretty quickly.

But a good deal for us - as I said 3 weeks ago - is a top 6-8 pick plus a low second rounder (18-22). That would then give us 5 picks inside 30 this year and then we need to manufacture the same outcome next year - ie 5 picks inside 30.

This is not anti BBB - it is simply that he is the guy OOC and we are in dire need of new talent. This is list management and rebuilding - we need 20 picks in the next 3 years to rebuild this list.

Hopefully BBB gets a great contract and a chance to play in a good team.

We should have adopted this approach 3 years ago but didn't have the right people at the club and people wrongfully thought we had a good list. -

Now it appears we have people - ie Brady - who knows what he is doing.

Now it will be interesting to see whether the club puts out a statement saying its not shopping BBB.....

Last edited:
For all the talk of his slump Ben wasn’t even particularly bad on the weekend, should have kicked 3 despite incredibly low and poor inside 50s. 27 is also quite young for a top end key forward, his is notoriously the hardest position to replace, and he’s uncontracted so we wouldn’t even get proper value for him. Just don’t see why he would be up for trade.

For all the talk of his slump Ben wasn’t even particularly bad on the weekend, should have kicked 3 despite incredibly low and poor inside 50s. 27 is also quite young for a top end key forward, his is notoriously the hardest position to replace, and he’s uncontracted so we wouldn’t even get proper value for him. Just don’t see why he would be up for trade.

Agree. All this talk about needing currency to rebuild fails to address the fact that BB is one important part of the structure that we already have and don't need to replace.

I'd be pretty furious if we got to the point where we brought in good young players but in 3 years time, we lose games because we don't have a capable full forward.

"If only we kept Brown ..."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What shits me - the media talk down Brown's worth while he's at north, then pump up how good he could be at another club.
Kicked the most goals 2017 to 2019...and in a shit team.
1 ****ing f50 entry in a quarter last week. That's how putrid this team is ATM. Carey would struggle.

We’d obviously bring in a cheap your replacement to develop and pump games into

Stockpile the youth

Have Larkey and Walker/Daw the 2 big keys
With Ziebell, Zurhaar, Curtis, Tarryn etc it could be more potent and less predictable

Another fail from you - Brown is younger than both Walker and Daw.

If he wants out and we desire to facilitate it, then two first round picks at a minimum. 180+ goals in three years. They don't grow on trees which is exactly why we should keep him. Otherwise refer to below post

^ Actually, this was already said better on another thread:

The club are smarter than to sell brown. He’s been arguably the only marketable player the last 4 years. They only have to know how much BBB shit they sell to know that. He has sold more memberships than anyone since boomers departure.

Its a crock of shit and Shaw will not want to trade brown for a few speculative draft picks. Its a shit year and weve been decimated by injuries. Sure, so were richmond however it shows our depth isnt fantastic and too young.

thats what happens when we dont perform. The dogs were brave with injuries and now we are shopping Brown? Just a soft target we are!

fix this shit Shaw, because trading brown isnt going to help us kick a pass 25m, or pick it up cleanly or fix ya stinky shit game plan!

Just me or does BB look leaner this year than previous years? Would have expected him to be a bit more fluid across the ground but just not the case.

I mean it doesn't help with our shitty I-50s but maybe time to get him on a rigorous plant protein regime so he can get more strength in the contest lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back