Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

No way there's any truth to this. They've just re-signed Cameron to what you've gotta assume is big bucks, Neale is on pretty decent coin. If they get BBB at around ~800k they'd be opening themselves up to lose some of their young talent.

The talk is they've still got plenty of cap for another decent player. Cameron is only jumping up by 100k. I reckon they've got more guys mid range than anybody taking the big dollars there (it'd be Neale, Zorko, Cameron and a bump for McCluggage and Andrews).

I was watching west coast play and was thinking if bbb was watching this he would be shaking his head just as I was. That’s how you move the ball and kick to your forwards.

It’s like we are playing a different sport. Our kicks forward resemble rugby union. More often than not we are kicking the ball to brown either on top of his head or over his head or when he is double teamed and expect him to halve the contest.

This kicking down the line sh*te has to stop. Every other team avoids the out number like the plague. We send memo’s out telling everyone that’s how we are going to play.

Even our clearance work is sh*te, and that is meant to be our strength. It’s either a blind kick forward or sideways or a handball to someone under more pressure. Other teams it’s one or two quick handballs and they are surging through the font of the stoppage.

There is something fundamentally wrong with our midfield and has it been for a long time. We have had solid key defenders for a while now, and always had enough talent forward to kick a winning score. Going in harder than the opposition and winning the contest isn’t enough anymore.
Whats the cliche Speedy? Everyone else is playing chess and were playing checkers?
Were not even doing that.

Even if the rumoured Brisbane offer (pick 2 and 15) for brown has any truth, i would take the trade plus my left leg thrown in as well. We would be really stupid to not trade if the deal is this good. Brown cannot provide much more for us, at least with the current team that is still at least 1 year away from climbing back up. Unfortunate as it is to say, other than Tarrant, Goldie and Higgins, the rest of the senior players probably would be culled over the next 18 months. We have a really strong hand and have already unearthed around 10 youngsters that are considered to be on-par if not a bit better than afl average. Are they elite? that's to be seen but for the first time in a long time, we start level footing with other clubs in the youth department.

Even if the rumoured Brisbane offer (pick 2 and 15) for brown has any truth, i would take the trade plus my left leg thrown in as well. We would be really stupid to not trade if the deal is this good. Brown cannot provide much more for us, at least with the current team that is still at least 1 year away from climbing back up. Unfortunate as it is to say, other than Tarrant, Goldie and Higgins, the rest of the senior players probably would be culled over the next 18 months. We have a really strong hand and have already unearthed around 10 youngsters that are considered to be on-par if not a bit better than afl average. Are they elite? that's to be seen but for the first time in a long time, we start level footing with other clubs in the youth department.
how do Brisbane give us pick 2 when we already have it?..

is that Joyces saying “here Brisbane take BBB and pick 2 for pick 15 and.... ummmm.... pick 2?...”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes there are things going on in peoples lives that are bigger than football. It also shows you never really know what people are going through.
Deepest sympathy to Ben and Hester at this extremely difficult time.

Very sad news. Thoughts with Browny, Hester and his family. Wouldn't begrudge him taking a break from footy. Same goes for any player during this pandemic, that's why I've tried not to be too critical because the players minds must be all over the place and most would be seperated from extended families being in a hub, its a complete write-off really in a sense this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back