Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

When have we had two first round picks in the last decade? It's not just the picks. There have to be the players you want available. If they aren't the picks are useless.

Suppose we have the opportunity to trade all our picks in this draft for Caldwell and Kelly from the Giants?

Would you do it?

Massive boost of elite talent, one in an age group we could do with adding elite talent to and guaranteed talent, the other young enough fit with our crop of young draftees. Plenty of older guys who could go for those two as well. Bye bye Campbell and Jacobs and suddenly our list is significantly more productive.
Ferbs - looks like you have a had a big night.

Two first round picks in a decade for us?

And then you want to trade all our picks the year for Caldwell and Kelly......hmmmm

Ben Brown
Club: North Melbourne

SALARY: $675,000-$725,000

COVID SALARY: $486,000-$522,000

The 27-year-old is awaiting the AFL green light for clubs to restart contract renewals. He had been in line for a new two or three-year deal, reportedly on $800,000 a season, with the Kangaroos before negotiations were put on hold. Brown has been a model of consistency, kicking 63, 61 and 64 goals in his past three seasons, but, like his club, he has struggled for form so far in 2020.

160th in the comp for score involvements - 3rd in the comp for time on ground.

And people dont think this has been one of our major problems the year - that its a just a side effect of poor delivery?
So you expect him to be sidestepping the opposition, doing freak handballs and snapping from 60 out on the boundary? He isn't that kind of player at all. He kicks goals and if we take him out of our team, we will struggle much, much more.

I was watching west coast play and was thinking if bbb was watching this he would be shaking his head just as I was. That’s how you move the ball and kick to your forwards.

It’s like we are playing a different sport. Our kicks forward resemble rugby union. More often than not we are kicking the ball to brown either on top of his head or over his head or when he is double teamed and expect him to halve the contest.

This kicking down the line sh*te has to stop. Every other team avoids the out number like the plague. We send memo’s out telling everyone that’s how we are going to play.

Even our clearance work is sh*te, and that is meant to be our strength. It’s either a blind kick forward or sideways or a handball to someone under more pressure. Other teams it’s one or two quick handballs and they are surging through the font of the stoppage.

There is something fundamentally wrong with our midfield and has it been for a long time. We have had solid key defenders for a while now, and always had enough talent forward to kick a winning score. Going in harder than the opposition and winning the contest isn’t enough anymore.

2012 was the last year we moved the ball well.

We weren’t good, but at least we played an exciting brand of footy.

So you expect him to be sidestepping the opposition, doing freak handballs and snapping from 60 out on the boundary? He isn't that kind of player at all. He kicks goals and if we take him out of our team, we will struggle much, much more.
That is what I am saying - he has struggled badly this year and that's a key reason we are 17th. I am not sure how much more we can struggle.

Rumours on the main board from (supposedly) ITK posters saying Brisbane are prepared to offer 2 firsts, potentially their's and Port's this year, for Browny. That'd probably be 2 picks around 15. I'm still largely against trading him at all but that would be an injection of young talent the likes of which our club has never seen...

Rumours on the main board from (supposedly) ITK posters saying Brisbane are prepared to offer 2 firsts, potentially their's and Port's this year, for Browny. That'd probably be 2 picks around 15. I'm still largely against trading him at all but that would be an injection of young talent the likes of which our club has never seen...
Deal

2 more teams on the death ride. 😳

For picks that low down the pecking order I wouldn't do it. Rate it realistic, unrealistic, or (most likely) bloody dreaming, but the minimum cost, for me, in a year where only the VERY pointy end of the draft is realistically a 'safe' bet would be two top 10's OR a top 5 and a later first round OR something in between but with a young tall thrown in too. And even then, unless the deal was beyond weighted in our favor, I'd be holding onto Brown unless he either wanted to leave or there was something going with him that meant his form wasn't likely to ever make a full recovery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a very hard call because we all love Ben Brown and his record in the last few years speaks for itself (he should have 2 Coleman Medals around his neck), but I think if this offer is on the table we would be crazy not to take it. We then have our own first rounder which is going to be a top 3 pick and then we have another hopefully top 5 selection (if Melbourne do the ring thing and finish low on the ladder). This one draft could really fast track our rebuild, it's a opportunity and risk we simply must take.

That is probably around fair value given what BBB has produced over the previous 3 years - and I assuming those 2 firsts will end up at 12 (Lions) and 14 (PA) - if they end being 17 and 18 then they would need to sweeten the deal.

That would give us 5 picks inside 30 for this years draft to assist in the rebuild and then we need to go for another 4-5 picks inside 30 for the the 2021 draft as well to complete the rebuild.

agree, and agree....but he's still tradeable, I think for two reasons - first, the rebuild, and second, the economic climate, in which (potentially) two kids cost a lot less than BBB would be looking for

This will be the worst draft in the history of the game. Even more of a lottery than it usually is. No thanks

Not enough sunscreen in the world to get him and his family to Qld.

No way there's any truth to this. They've just re-signed Cameron to what you've gotta assume is big bucks, Neale is on pretty decent coin. If they get BBB at around ~800k they'd be opening themselves up to lose some of their young talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back