Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

His comments and the way Brown’s been forced out are not a good look for him or his agency or anyone looking to sign on with him.
The decision to insist on triggers for the 4th season have somwhat been vindicated if its true rama stating his consistancy to that point was sound. His form slump this season suggested otherwise.

One of the hard parts of this whole saga is that BBB seems like such a nice bloke. Does a heap of marketing for the club and is genuinely the most popular player amongst juniors. I just hope that a deal can't be done and BBB stays. Not arguing the value or otherwise of trading but I think BBB is a true shinboner.

Stay BBB - make it happen Euge.

I know we wanted Kelly at the time and still do but tbh LDU could be anything. Happy we kept pick 4 and got him.

FWIW as of today I'd prefer LDU (long term) - I know that's based on potential rather than proven but his trajectory looks amazing. Kelly has leveled out, although obviously injury has impacted him somewhat.

I think you need to get your head out of the sand.

He is gone, and if we have to accept unders, we will.
If so it's a ridiculous situation.

We went from an allegedly awesome offer of over 3/4 of a million a year to what looks like not even getting a first round pick in a trade for the same player.

Someone needs their arse kicked for that.

FWIW as of today I'd prefer LDU (long term) - I know that's based on potential rather than proven but his trajectory looks amazing. Kelly has leveled out, although obviously injury has impacted him somewhat.

I agree.

Helps our rebuild that we already have a pretty solid 18-22 crop. Without LDU, Jy, TT and others, there would be no light at the end of this tunnel.

I always saw this rebuild as inevitable and am grateful we were unable to attract any of the big names we targeted. At least it forced us to draft our first rounders unlike an Essendon or Hawthorn, who are in a position with some quality senior players they've brought in from other clubs, however only a small handful of talented 18-22 players (Mcgrath, Ridley) (Worpel, Day) as they've neglected to draft.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if WCE come hard and fast for BBB. If they win the flag this year or go very close, Kennedy may be done or has probably only got another year left in him.

On a quick, flat deck in Perth. With good ball users delivering inside 50...Ben would light that place up!!

Averages 2.0 goals a game in Perth from 6 games of which 5 were NM defeats. That could improve greatly with frequency.

I trust Brady would be in a reasonable position to get a good deal done with WC.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm probably a lot more emotionally detatched from the proposed value than I thought I would have been.

Obviously a single pick in the 20's would be ridiculous, but I think Brady will get a decent enough deal.

It's more about the intent. If we can clear Brown, Higgins and Polec and get at least some OK value, that's fine imo.

This rebuild isn't going to be overnight and it sends a very clear message about what direction this side will be going.

I'm pretty confident the mood of the supporter base will be vastly different in 6 months. Our drafting (especially with mid picks) has been nothing short of exemplary the last few years. I'm kind of excited to see what we will get with 5 or 6 picks under 40.

I'm convinced that it is the right decision to move him on and load up on the best picks we can.

For those that are of the opposite view to me - Hypothetically, if he were to stay, what kind of output would you expect from him in 2021?

A rebuilding side, likely to be place 17th/18th, new game style which clearly needs a lot of work and time, still lacking good users in the midfield (particularly if Higgins & Polec leave) - Are people still expecting him to be able to kick 60 goals?

In today's political correct world , they'd be classed as a 'developing nation'. A much nicer way of saying what you said .
1st world is pretty much anyone that aligned with America during the Cold war, 2nd world was anyone connected to USSR, 3rd world was everyone else.
America couldn't be a 2nd world country by any means. 2nd world pretty much doesn't exist anymore, 3rd world is now considered developing countries.
All the terminology is incorrectly used these days

Some pointless info for you.

1st world is pretty much anyone that aligned with America during the Cold war, 2nd world was anyone connected to USSR, 3rd world was everyone else.
America couldn't be a 2nd world country by any means. 2nd world pretty much doesn't exist anymore, 3rd world is now considered developing countries.
All the terminology is incorrectly used these days

Some pointless info for you.

Based on that definition, and knowing what essentially occurred to elect the current president, 2nd world appears a perfect description of the US at present.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the whole Ben Brown thing broken or is there still room to manoeuvre?
From what I can see BB and his management wanted 4 year deal.
The club offered 3 years at a good rate believed to be 750K a year. This was rejected.
Then the we are all going to die CV19 happened and the offer was taken off the table by the club.

I can only imagine about what happened next. BB and his management revisited the contract negotiations and were offered a lower paid contract than previous?
This was rejected and everyone played hardball, leading to a breakdown in negotiations and threats of walking out of the club?
The Club has continued to hold its position and said BB is free to explore other offers.

I think the real question from here is, can BB expect to get a 4 year contract with another club that an increase on what he's already been offered by North?
I doubt it.
Could this be a case of BB management shops him around and finds only low ball offers, given Clubs are all under the same financial pressure thanks to CV19?
If the above has any truth to it, then what are the odds that BB comes back to North and reopens negotiations with a more realistic expectations given the current climate?

The club offered 3 years at a good rate believed to be 750K a year. This was rejected.
Then the we are all going to die CV19 happened and the offer was taken off the table by the club.

I can only imagine about what happened next. BB and his management revisited the contract negotiations and were offered a lower paid contract than previous?
This was rejected and everyone played hardball, leading to a breakdown in negotiations and threats of walking out of the club?
The Club has continued to hold its position and said BB is free to explore other offers.

I think the real question from here is, can BB expect to get a 4 year contract with another club that an increase on what he's already been offered by North?
I doubt it.
Could this be a case of BB management shops him around and finds only low ball offers, given Clubs are all under the same financial pressure thanks to CV19?
If the above has any truth to it, then what are the odds that BB comes back to North and reopens negotiations with a more realistic expectations given the current climate?

10,000 - 1

I doubt it.

When the Roos finished 2nd last, this is not where they saw themselves.

Now they are looking down the barrel of 2 x 1st rounders in a key position heavy draft. The requirement for BBB significantly lessened!

I'm probably a lot more emotionally detatched from the proposed value than I thought I would have been.

Obviously a single pick in the 20's would be ridiculous, but I think Brady will get a decent enough deal.

It's more about the intent. If we can clear Brown, Higgins and Polec and get at least some OK value, that's fine imo.

This rebuild isn't going to be overnight and it sends a very clear message about what direction this side will be going.

I'm pretty confident the mood of the supporter base will be vastly different in 6 months. Our drafting (especially with mid picks) has been nothing short of exemplary the last few years. I'm kind of excited to see what we will get with 5 or 6 picks under 40.
You are very draft centric. Being excited about the draft and even saying we've been drafting well with mid range picks is a long way off from winning games, let alone finals. I am still not sure we can sustain 2-3 years of EDIT Absolute Hopelessness, with an inevitable membership drop we are about to experience.

Last edited:
You are very draft centric. Being excited about the draft and even saying we've been drafting well with mid range picks is a long way off from winning games, let alone finals. I am still not sure we can sustain 2-3 years of mediocrity, with an inevitable membership drop we are about to experience.

Mate, we've been through the best part of 10 years of mediocrity. We're about to enter unchartered waters...

You are very draft centric. Being excited about the draft and even saying we've been drafting well with mid range picks is a long way off from winning games, let alone finals. I am still not sure we can sustain 2-3 years of mediocrity, with an inevitable membership drop we are about to experience.

2-3 Years of mediocrity... What exactly have we just done for the last 5?

Mate, we've been through the best part of 10 years of mediocrity. We're about to enter unchartered waters...
Ok let me rephrase - replace the word mediocrity with "sub 5 win season".
Our 10 years of mediocrity included plenty of memorable wins, including some great finals wins.

2-3 Years of mediocrity... What exactly have we just done for the last 5?
As described to Passmore, I used the wrong term there. I was referring to the hopelessness of 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back