Opinion 50 Under 50

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end, I'll do an 'updated top 50' (just a list, no write-ups), where Hogan, Boyd, Astbury are in, maybe Sutcliffe, maybe Brayshaw etc.
Tom Boyd played 9 games last year.

I'll be very interested to see where you rate the Bont and Macrae. I reckon McGovern might have started to climb up the rankings as well.

BEAST M0DE

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I'll be very interested to see where you rate the Bont and Macrae. I reckon McGovern might have started to climb up the rankings as well.
When's this list going to be finished?

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I know, I left Boyd (and Astbury) out, pretty sure I just forgot about them when I made the list. Hogan isn't in as he hadn't played a game.

When's this list going to be finished?

Hopefully by end of round 2. Will try to get 10-6 by Thursday and 5-3 Friday, 2 Saturday and 1 Sunday.

Or probably just 10-6 by Thursday and 5-1 by Saturday.

Last edited:

I know, I left Boyd (and Astbury) put, pretty sure I just forgot about them when I made the list. Hogan isn't in as he hadn't played a game.
No worries, just sounded like you thought Boyd debuted this year!

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
10. Anthony Miles - 24 games, 6 goals - A real surprise packet of 2014, Miles left GWS at the end of 2013 disguised by the hype of Dom Tyson to Melbourne and was picked up by Richmond in the rookie draft. After a slow start to his career as a Giant, I think even die-hard Tigers fans were surprised by the immediate impact he had. A tough contested ball winner who racked up 10 clearances twice in games last season, he is probably a surprise to be in the top 10 for many here. In his first proper season, he averaged 24 disposals, 11.2 contested possessions (with a disposal efficiency of 75.1%) and 6.5 clearances a game. Stats like that for a guy who had 10 games before the start of 2014 are very impressive, and it includes two games that were not at the level we have come to expect, nor are likely to happen regularly as he gains experience. A strong inside midfielder, Miles is the type of player whose game will progress rapidly, and I think he is now Richmond's second best stoppage midfielder behind Trent Cotchin - not bad at all, and I think he can go past Cotchin soon with further developments in consistency in contested possessions and clearances.
419873-3d15748a-f38f-11e3-8ea9-a081f3513119.jpg

9. Lachie Neale - 47 games, 21 goals - Another one that may be considered a big call for top 10 when guys like Brad Crouch and Jared Polec are not in it, he jumped up the list with a big last month to end the season last year - his last 5 games were 27 disposals, 5 clearances and 4 tackles (v Hawthorn), 26 disposals and 7 clearances (v Brisbane), 34 disposals, 17 contested possessions and 6 clearances in a BOG performance that earned him 3 Brownlow Votes (v Port), 31 disposals, 16 contested possessions, 8 clearances and 4 inside 50's (v Sydney) and 32 disposals, 17 contested possessions and 7 clearances (v Port in the semi-final). They are huge stats for a 21 year old, especially with those games involving a top 4 spot on the line and two big finals. Neale isn't the perfect package for a midfielder right now - like a lot of the Fremantle players, his disposal leaves a lot to be desired, and he tends to drift in and out of quarters and games. However, I think we saw increasing maturity (he was already no.9 though) against Port after a difficult game with only 4 kicks to his name, he lifted the proverbial roof when he put the Dockers in front late in the game. This ability to impact himself on games even when not having everything go his way showed an increasing maturity, and that along with his performances in big games makes me think he has a very bright future alongside Fyfe in the Fremantle midfield. A big call to put him 9, but I think in time he will be around this mark. If not, he has a career as a double for Harry Styles.
914801-afl-round-19-carlton-v-fremantle.jpg

8. Jackson Macrae - 35 games, 12 goals - If you had told me about January 2014 that come April 2015 Jackson Macrae would be the Dogs best midfielder playing, I'd have laughed. A good debut season where he showed signs but to me never really justified his billing as a top 6 draft pick (in the manner that a Bontempelli or Selwood impacted early) had Dogs fans having high hopes, but the rest of the footy world sitting back and talking about Libba, and Dahlhaus, and Stringer, and The Bont. That's not to say he didn't have any impressive games - his Rising Star nomination game against the Suns where he picked up 26 disposals was a great game in a tough day for the Dogs.
What followed in 2014 though was an exciting example of what we will be treated to for the next 10 years. Missed one game and it was widely acknowledged he has a lot of work to do on his defensive side, as most 19 year old kids who were as good at junior level as he would, but still finished 2nd in the Dogs Best & Fairest (1. Tom Liberatore - All-Australian squad and to me a top 5 inside midfielder of the comp) and had the football world talking him up in the same breath as The Bont. Polled 10 Brownlow Votes, got 30+ disposals 9 times (and one 43 disposal 7 inside 50 2 goals game v Gold Coast), 4+ inside 50's 8 times (gets the ball forward of center), and every week provided spread, accumulation, run and options all over the ground for his teammates. This guy is a big part of the Dogs future and I don't think there is much argument for his high rating here. A fair bit of development to go yes, but the football world is at his feet.
926578-5f829590-a9a5-11e3-9dd3-54db44ed2f71.jpg

7. Dom Tyson - 36 games, 22 goals - Was considered to be the Giant's biggest loss since their recent inception, and then Tom Boyd left. Well, considering McCarthy has come on, and will be a great 3rd tall to go with Cameron and Patton, I'm not sure Boyd's necessarily a bigger loss than Tyson. A goalkicking inside midfielder (how rare are they?!), he's a perfect Paul Roos player - tough, uncompromising, resilient but also a genuine talent with smarts and skills, all just in his little finger (incidentally, surgeons recommended his 2014 season end early to have surgery on his finger, and he finished the season off, in pretty good fashion too I might add). Some doubted whether Melbourne 'won' the trade that netted GWS another top 50 list member in Josh Kelly (who will rocket up this list soon enough), especially after Tyson's first couple of seasons were interrupted by a PCL injury and playing only 13 games. After a fantastic 2014, he has put the pressure on Kelly to 'win' the trade back. Averaged 24 disposals, kicked 16 goals, polled 11 Brownlow Votes (for reference - Dyson Heppell who started the year with 49 more games finished with 14) and came runner-up to Nathan Jones in the club Best & Fairest. This was with a slightly interrupted pre-season and an acknowledgment that he has to work on his stamina and strength more. I was lucky enough to see this guy live, when he was judged BOG by the umpires in round 23 against North Melbourne - 24 disposals, 7 marks, 2 goals, 5 tackles. Also enjoyed himself against Port Adelaide in 2014 - racked up 30 disposals and 2 goals the first time and 32 disposals and 2 goals the second time - was awarded the 3 Brownlow Votes both times! He was also critical in the Demon's upset win over Richmond. Some huge games to build on there, and I was very interested writing this article to see his performances against Port! Tyson is a rare player - a young talent at Melbourne who looks like he will kick on and become the star he should ;)
1_18PAMe14AFL2182-COPY.jpg

6. James Aish - 22 games, 6 goals - Peter Aish was a captain and coach of Norwood, starting his career there all the way back in 1952. Peter had two sons play for Norwood - 1981 Magarey Medallist, dual premiership player and SANFL Hall of Famer Michael Aish and premiership player and South Australian representative Andrew Aish, who had a son named James.
That is the Norwood royalty James Aish descends from. It's easy to see why, with those strings to South Australia, and his huge talent, why at just 19 there is talk of huge offers to attract him away from the Lions. Reckon if his family are anything to go by, he may just stay at the Lions. Regardless of where he plays his football though, I think it's carved in stone that he will be a great. Widely hyped as one of the best players for his age as he came through juniors, he won the Kevin Sheehan medal (best player at the U16 National Championships) and was part of the successful Norwood premiership side in 2012.
Considered mature, skillful, tough, smart and a hard-worker, Aish showed that it wasn't just meaningless hype with a big first season, finishing 9th in his teams Best & Fairest, and playing some superb games with 25 disposals 8 marks 1 goal v St Kilda and a 23 disposal 9 tackle 2 goal game v North Melbourne. Could have quite easily been top 5, but at this late stage I believe they all have the potential to go past each other in half a season, and Aish was unlucky number 6.
James-Aish.jpg

Oraaaaazio

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Going by the past ten games their is a pretty clear distinction between ability to kick goals.

Stringer 25
Daniher 15
That's the only yardstick for a forward is it?

I wasn't saying Daniher was better than Stringer anyway. I'd also have Stringer ahead at this stage pretty comfortably.

I was just wondering why you think your opinion is fact and the OPs is not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
5. Lewis Taylor - 23 games, 13 goals - The young 'pocket-rocket' has been compared to Brent Harvey, and I think that's a very fair comparison (out of interest: Taylor was 1 year old when Harvey made his debut). Was honoured with his excellent 2014 with the NAB Rising Star, an award won by the players the caliber of Joel Selwood, Sam Mitchell, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Goodes, Ben Cousins and Nathan Buckley. Picked up at number 28 in the 2013 National Draft, I think Taylor surprised all, with Aish being the higher rated player coming from the draft, and guys like Langdon, Dunstan and Kelly starting the season on fire and Bontempelli coming home with a wet sail. Taylor was one of the few who really put in consistent performances over the entire season. Even then, his best performances were all in the second half of the year, and it just goes to show how wide-open the Rising Star voting was. Taylor was one of Brisbane's best against North Melbourne in their come-from-behind win, when he had 23 disposals, 10 marks and 1 goal, as well as fighting a losing battle against GWS when he had 19 disposals and 3 goals. There were some suggestions his height and size would affect him at AFL level, but I think having answered those doubts, there's no reason he can't be a star of the future. There isn't a lot of weaknesses to his game (ruckwork maybe) and he is one of those players who is just able to force the game to be played his way in his direct match-up. Runs a bit like Dane Swan, although I think they are very different players, but thought I'd mention it regardless.
15BLNM14MW0697-e1405407894331-760x438.jpg

4. Joe Daniher - 27 games, 32 goals - Seemingly a contentious pick this high from the last few posts in this thread. I thought Taylor would be the top 5 pick that people argue with - the top 4 in my opinion I considered to be the unanimous top 4. The thing about Daniher, is that he hasn't really torn a game apart in terms of kicking a bag, or getting 20+ disposals and 15 marks etc. I don't think though, if you watch him and Essendon play, that's a reason to say he doesn't have as high a peak as the rest of these guys. Essendon must surely have one of the worse disposal:inside 50 ratios in the comp? I haven't looked at the stats but that's the impression I got from watching them - does not help a young key forward. Nonetheless, Daniher still had some fantastic performances in 2014 that promise a lot for the future. 11 disposals and 4 goals in a final was fantastic, and he had 15 disposals, 9 marks (6 contested) and 3.4 v GWS in an outstanding performance. Finished 13th for marks inside 50 for the year in 2014 - and all the guys bar Lynch in front of him are experienced players who would gel much better with their respective forward and midfield teammates. As he continues to put on size, and is thrown into the ruck less (as he was at the start and end of 2014), he should only get better, and will surely be the lynchpin of Essendon's forward line for the next 10 years. As awkward as he looks playing, I think the number 10 F/S draft pick will more than justify his top 4 spot by the end of the year.
434352-23742586-dfed-11e3-9096-801fbb4e8d9b.jpg

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
3. Oliver Wines - 51 games, 24 goal - Oops. Serves me right for not getting this finished in time. He was on 49 games when I compiled this list, and so he remains. Seems a good spot to slot in Hogan though when/if I update the list. The pick 7 at the 2012 AFL Draft, Wines is in his 3rd season and has to yet a miss game. From his 5 finals games, he has had some big performances: 18 disposal 5 clearance 2 goal game v Collingwood, a 24 disposal 4 clearances 2 goal game v Richmond, a 26 disposal 13 contested possession 7 inside 50 7 clearances 3 goal game v Fremantle (in which he was the top 3 players on the ground) and a 19 disposal 7 tackle 5 inside 50 game v Hawthorn. Wines is a strange one, in that he is already achieving at a high level in finals, is rated by all as a future star of the comp, but yet is underrated in Port's midfield, before the late part of 2014 all the plaudits going to Boak and Gray. Wines is still a step below the two, but is motoring down the competition. A leader, a contested ball winner, a clearance machine, able to kick goals, a good set shot and an accountable midfielder, Wines' performance is growing slowly into the man-child body he had when he entered the AFL, as well as slowly getting fitter and smarter around the contest. A young star, who got 11 clearances in a game twice in 2014, there's no doubt he will be the 'cog' in the machine that is Port for a long while.
wines-hs-story.jpg

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think you'll regret not having Gleeson in your list from Essendon. Is far more composed, assured, evasive, and a natural footballer than J Merrett (whom I have faith will also take the next step before long).

Great read though. Some players on here I'd not taken a lot of interest in but because of this list I have watched a bit closer this year. Good stuff!

pacman

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2006
Sunny Gold Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think you'll regret not having Gleeson in your list from Essendon. Is far more composed, assured, evasive, and a natural footballer than J Merrett (whom I have faith will also take the next step before long).

Great read though. Some players on here I'd not taken a lot of interest in but because of this list I have watched a bit closer this year. Good stuff!
Does look like a really good young player. Do you think he'll eventually move to the midfield?

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Does look like a really good young player. Do you think he'll eventually move to the midfield?
HB suits him while he develops an adult body. I reckon he will become a mid but maybe more along the line of a traditional wingman. Can find the ball on the inside but is pushed off the contest far too easily. It's the how he finds his way through traffic and takes the game on that gives me hope he'll make it as a mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back