Media 500 reasons to celebrate

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
As we approach the start of Season 29 of this sometimes-great league, there is much to look forward to. How will JoshWoodenSpoon deal with a move to the Bombers that clearly he had no interest in pursuing? Will AceAndy and the Dragons be able to back up their excellent and game-changing Season 28? When will Barrybran be docked points for an unsuitable team submission?

But there's one constant in the league that needs to be celebrated: none other than our very own cooney.

This coming season will be cooney's TWENTIETH in the league. This is an achievement in itself, but not the main reason for this thread.

No, here's the thing: cooney will soon kick GOAL #500, which is absolutely mammoth. And, having featured in more than 300 mutual games with cooney, it was my pleasure to sit down with them for a very extended brunch-cum-dinner to chat about the upcoming milestone.

cooney 2.png
HEADLESS:
cooney, thanks for joining me on the eve of Season 29. As it stands, you have kicked 496 goals in the Sweet FA, which is a phenomenal effort. What's the secret to your success?

COONEY:
Just loving what you do, nothing more to it!

HEADLESS:
If I'm not mistaken (unlikely, but I could be making this up), 496 goals places you fourth on the all-time goal-kicking leaderboard. That puts you right up there with other legends of the game. Who are some of the players you have most enjoyed playing with and against over the years?

COONEY:
There’s too many to name played with and against so many good players.

HEADLESS:
Since debuting all the way back in Season 10, you've only ever played for the Mount Buller Demons. Have you ever considered leaving?

COONEY:
There’s been offers there but no I haven’t.

HEADLESS:
You have also made the All-Sweet FA as a FB and a CHB, and have spent a lot of time in the ruck. But what's your best advice to an up-and-coming key forward with aspirations of one day kicking their 500th goal in the league?

COONEY:
Just keep doing what you do and work hard and you’ll get results

HEADLESS:
How are you going to celebrate goal number 500?

COONEY:
With a beer and a win woooooo

--

Good stuff, cooney - you're a league legend, and a pleasure to play with!

Since when do we celebrate before the milestone has been reached?

I refuse to congratulate him yet.

Noted. I look forward to your contribution once four more goals have been kicked.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You did my head in last season with your WOO s**t, obviously you're well liked so congratulations. Can't remember your shadows name , but pass on congrats to him/her as well.
It was similar to a Strassman show.

Looks like we're giving out threads for any old achievements these days. Well done on something not yet accomplished coondog yah bit softy.

Headless it was a nice little piece you did but he still hasn't kicked 500 goals

Do you want to delete it and re-post it when he achieves the milestone ?

cooney is just building the suspense. Very experienced. If anything, this thread has become even better.

cooney is just building the suspense. Very experienced. If anything, this thread has become even better.
Silly me sorry mate, i forgot about cooney mentioning in the team pm that he was just building the suspense
That must be why we kicked so many behinds on the weekend, because we just wanted to lock it in the 50 and get it back to him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back