AFL Player # 6: Jye Caldwell

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't he say he models his game on Selwood? Can definitely see why.

Very happy with this pick up. Strong in the contest, does the defensive stuff and has a good kick on him too. Clean hands as well.

May not be a high possession winner as doesn’t seem to get much easy footy but he can stand in the tackle, get his arms free and release cleverly by hand - been missing that since Jobe. He’s also clean below his knees. Looks good

Has a decent rig on this kid for only 182cm in height. Will be a Tay Adams-style unit in a few years.

May not be a high possession winner as doesn’t seem to get much easy footy but he can stand in the tackle, get his arms free and release cleverly by hand - been missing that since Jobe. He’s also clean below his knees. Looks good

There was at least once where he stood up in a tackle, ripped his arms out from the tackler and got the handball away. Very impressed with his first appearance for us as a pretty inexperienced young player still.

There was at least once where he stood up in a tackle, ripped his arms out from the tackler and got the handball away. Very impressed with his first appearance for us as a pretty inexperienced young player still.
I saw it a couple of times I reckon.

And the release handballs were actually pretty clever. He hit guys on the move and put them into space.....again, our handball work in traffic has been woeful for years so it stood out to me.

Didn't he say he models his game on Selwood? Can definitely see why.

Very happy with this pick up. Strong in the contest, does the defensive stuff and has a good kick on him too. Clean hands as well.
Hopefully he can milk 5 free kicks a game too :O

I saw it a couple of times I reckon.

And the release handballs were actually pretty clever. He hit guys on the move and put them into space.....again, our handball work in traffic has been woeful for years so it stood out to me.
Yeah - he has class and toughness. Not relying on being a massive rig... A reminder that elite footballing talent goes a long way in a world increasingly full of athlete-footballers.

By 24 he could be a top ten midfielder in the comp I reckon. There's a bit of Simon Black about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he did some good work at a few centre bounces to get his arms free and release others. Could've been targeted a bit more.

giphy.gif

Clear too see why GWS didn't want to let go of Jye and why the Saints where very keen too. Kid's a Rolls-Royce!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back