AFL Player # 6: Jye Caldwell

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the quickest, cleanest hands at the club.

Is best 22 right now and will never play VFL other than due to injury. I like him a lot. There is a touch of Jason Johnson about him.

Has the quickest, cleanest hands at the club.

Is best 22 right now and will never play VFL other than due to injury. I like him a lot. There is a touch of Jason Johnson about him.

They're good but do you think better than Parish? Not so sure. Parish takes possession of the ball like he has quick grip on his hands.

They're good but do you think better than Parish? Not so sure. Parish takes possession of the ball like he has quick grip on his hands.
Parish is a great one grabber, so is Caldwell. Caldwell distributes better once he has it though - very good at getting arms free and then has some creativity with how he releases teammates.

Not like Parish is bad at this but Caldwell is very, very good at it for a 20 year old kid. As he gets bigger and stronger his ability to absorb contact, hold his feet and release the ball is just going to get better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parish’s hands are second only to Watson in my time watching Essendon. Jaws of life stuff.

Field kicking is vastly overrated for inside players, key indicators for Jye are defensive running, tackling and hitting contests at speed. All were good and will get better.

Parish’s hands are second only to Watson in my time watching Essendon. Jaws of life stuff.

Field kicking is vastly overrated for inside players, key indicators for Jye are defensive running, tackling and hitting contests at speed. All were good and will get better.
I agree that Parish has incredibly sticky hands but I also agree with Vander... Caldwell is either already better or will be soon.

McGrath is right up there aswell, even Merrett when he first started was lightning fast with his hands but prefers to kick

Can't agree with this. It's the very reason so many of them are overrated. At best 30% of their kicks are the scrambles from contested situations. The rest of the time they are in as much space as a half back, who tend to be able to kick the thing, and spraying the ball, stuffing up forward 50 entries.

He was okay but as you would expect for a young midfielder he made some errors. Some disposal wise and some positioning / defense wise. He was one of the guilty parties as far as the third quarter went with a few basic mistakes. The plus side is he does some good stuff as well and is hard at it. Given he has played under 20 games and even less as an actual midfielder he has plenty of scope to improve.

Good player. Has had As much criticism as ham after 1 week from the over educated stupidness of essendon fans. 1 bloke can play. The other simply can’t.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back