VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

There are players that look good but don't get enough of it and aren't consistent i.e. Dempsey.

Then there are players that look hopeless but are actually good contributors.

Occasionally you get players that look hopeless, don't get enough of it and aren't consistent. Mckernan is one of those rare gems unfortunately.

What's with all the McKernan bashing? He wasn't that bad - he looked dangerous inside 50 as a marking target and got some clearances. He certainly wasn't great but showed glimpses of what he is capable of. He looks down on confidence - would like to see him play the season out as a KF and backup ruck and see how he goes. Need to keep in mind he has had no continuity this season - a few injuries (mainly quad) and has been carryover emergency some weeks and also missed playing in bye round which didn't help him. He hasn't played a huge amount of footy - I'd like to see him given every opportunity to prove his worth before being discarded. He has talent - good mark, decent kick, mobile, tackles and normally has plenty of hunger and intent. Hopefully he plays again this week and we see an improved performance closer to what many of us saw last year.

What's with all the McKernan bashing? He wasn't that bad - he looked dangerous inside 50 as a marking target and got some clearances. He certainly wasn't great but showed glimpses of what he is capable of. He looks down on confidence - would like to see him play the season out as a KF and backup ruck and see how he goes. Need to keep in mind he has had no continuity this season - a few injuries (mainly quad) and has been carryover emergency some weeks and also missed playing in bye round which didn't help him. He hasn't played a huge amount of footy - I'd like to see him given every opportunity to prove his worth before being discarded. He has talent - good mark, decent kick, mobile, tackles and normally has plenty of hunger and intent. Hopefully he plays again this week and we see an improved performance closer to what many of us saw last year.
Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Can knock a bloke out with a reckless elbow but refuses to display physicality at the contest

Strongly disagree - in general McKernan is hard at the contest and gives 100%. Having seen him play a lot over the last couple of years he is not at all as you describe.

if you are talking VFL then yes but at times in AFL he doesnt have the same urgency and thirst for the contest. he needs to fire up or could be on the outer

Strongly disagree - in general McKernan is hard at the contest and gives 100%. Having seen him play a lot over the last couple of years he is not at all as you describe.
This was my big kicker for Smack - I was always a fan that what he lacked in height at the ruck contest, he made up for in spades in competing for the ball as soon as it hit the ground. Unfortunately, this has been a big part of his game that is lacking right now - when it should be at the top of his tree.

It will be interesting to see how he goes over the last couple of games and if he sees more time in the firsts. Before suspension, it seemed that Jamar was going to be the replacement for Smack and that he was well out of favour.

Without that gritty attack at the ball, I just don't see where he helps any list in the comp... let alone us.

This was my big kicker for Smack - I was always a fan that what he lacked in height at the ruck contest, he made up for in spades in competing for the ball as soon as it hit the ground. Unfortunately, this has been a big part of his game that is lacking right now - when it should be at the top of his tree.

It will be interesting to see how he goes over the last couple of games and if he sees more time in the firsts. Before suspension, it seemed that Jamar was going to be the replacement for Smack and that he was well out of favour.

Without that gritty attack at the ball, I just don't see where he helps any list in the comp... let alone us.

Not motivated, out of favour...seems to be a theme. Perhaps not on the same page as Worsfold. Seemed very well motivated under Hird and Egan.

I agree in broad terms but it's something I've noticed over the last two weeks. Maybe it's a confidence thing, I don't know, but he seems to be much less aggressive than he has been.

He was exactly that on Saturday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was pretty serviceable for a few weeks last year, then he kind of fell off the face of the earth.

With our ruckstocks being okay for next year with TBC and Luey, I reckon we keep him for the depth of our list.

The passage of play where he was one out with Rich halfway through the first.

Oates%20Garbage%20Bin%20Plastic%20with%20Lid%2046%20lt-500x500.png

I am a big fan of Smack, i dont reckon he gets much of a go.
With banned players this was the perfect season for Smack, or any other player to cement a spot in the best 22. Instead we're finally seeing the reasons why Adelaide cut Smack loose.

His interviews always seem to paint a man without passion, so listless and devoid of any fire in his eyes.

Thanks for the services but see you later, McKernan.

Last edited:
With banned players this was the perfect season for Smack, or any other player to cement a spot in the best 22. Instead we're finally seeing the reasons why Adelaide cut Smack loose.

His interviews always seem to paint a man without passion, so listless and devoid of any fire in his eyes.

Thanks for the services, but see you later, McKernan.

Haha so true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back