VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Taking sentimentality out of it, the deal is too much. I highly doubt he gets poached and who knows what form he'll bring next year.
Harsh.

His form not only warranted selection due to bashing the door down in the twos but the fact he held his spot for roughly two months and was more than effective as a forward who drew the best defender each week and ably held his own.

Two years easily.

Taking sentimentality out of it, the deal is too much. I highly doubt he gets poached and who knows what form he'll bring next year.
His form in the last 7 weeks would suggest otherwise. Most clubs are looking for a forward who can kick goals and play second ruck.

His form in the last 7 weeks would suggest otherwise. Most clubs are looking for a forward who can kick goals and play second ruck.

Hence why i think he should be trade bait. A trade to GC with Aaron Hall coming our way would be beneficial for both teams.

Hence why i think he should be trade bait. A trade to GC with Aaron Hall coming our way would be beneficial for both teams.
Unless that trade somehow involved Tom Lynch or Peter Wright our Key Forward stocks are of a greater need than our outside running winger stocks.

I'd be backing in Mutch to offer roughly the same output that a Aaron Hall could for us next year.

Unless that trade somehow involved Tom Lynch or Peter Wright our Key Forward stocks are of a greater need than our outside running winger stocks.

I'd be backing in Mutch to offer roughly the same output that a Aaron Hall could for us next year.
Mutch is different. Slower and not as good a kick but far better defensively.

Mutch is different. Slower and not as good a kick but far better defensively.
True, I probably could have worded it better.

Basically I was trying to say I expect Mutch to be a better footballer than Hall and I'd rather be pumping games into him than Hall, who wouldn't really improve us at all.

The club will do the right thing here.
I'm not against a two year deal based on his performances.
What I am happy about is that essendon used to be a club players left and then went on to have good careers eg houli, Richards etc.
Last few years we've had Mitch brown, Dea, and mckernan all as bargain delisted types who have all gone on to be better than they were when they came to us. Good signs.

Just on that, can anyone recall any instances of other hamstring injuries with that long a lay-off that didn't need surgery? Because 10 weeks seems outrageous to me

Just on that, can anyone recall any instances of other hamstring injuries with that long a lay-off that didn't need surgery? Because 10 weeks seems outrageous to me
Intra muscular tendon damage was the official diagnosis I think. I've heard of it before but I think it's usually 8-10 weeks. Perhaps since the season is over for him they'll take their time and do the full 10 week rehab?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Intra muscular tendon damage was the official diagnosis I think. I've heard of it before but I think it's usually 8-10 weeks. Perhaps since the season is over for him they'll take their time and do the full 10 week rehab?
Ah ok, I didn't realise it wasn't just a straight hammy. Interestingly I was just looking up how long Riewoldt missed with his hammy off the bone job, and it was 12 weeks. Seems like this is actually a similar, just slightly less severe injury.

Ah ok, I didn't realise it wasn't just a straight hammy. Interestingly I was just looking up how long Riewoldt missed with his hammy off the bone job, and it was 12 weeks. Seems like this is actually a similar, just slightly less severe injury.
Sounds about right. I hate thinking about a tendon ripped off the bone, every time it's mentioned I cringe. That and tibfib fractures. :sick:

Hes probably best 22 starting next year not just depth.

He can also provide a bit in the ruck even though hes on the smaller side i like his ability to win hacked clearances and gain territory

Going on what the coach has had to say it does not look like that will be happening. I suspect GC would be looking for a bit more for Hall.

I'm a mckernan fan, but a 2 year deal to a 28 year old coming back from a pretty serious injury is too much when the basis is he played a few good games.

It is not just on a few good games. Also on the back of his efforts to work harder and find the extra form he needed . He is not going to be on big money so personally I have no issue with 2 years.
As far as the injury goes it does not require surgery so there is no major tendon damage. He will be fine. Even more so because of the fact he will not be pushing the recovery to try and play games.

It is not just on a few good games. Also on the back of his efforts to work harder and find the extra form he needed . He is not going to be on big money so personally I have no issue with 2 years.
As far as the injury goes it does not require surgery so there is no major tendon damage. He will be fine. Even more so because of the fact he will not be pushing the recovery to try and play games.

Absolutely agree with these two real sticking points.

The fact he has worked and worked to get where he is/was is a credit to him. Wouldn't have gone unnoticed by the coaching staff witnessing it each day.

The money he would be commanding would be pretty minimal. If he can get a really good deal for himself at another club, good on him and absolutely do what is best for him and his career. May as well earn as much as he can while he can. Going on 28, won't have 10 years left him id imagine.

Absolutely agree with these two real sticking points.

The fact he has worked and worked to get where he is/was is a credit to him. Wouldn't have gone unnoticed by the coaching staff witnessing it each day.

The money he would be commanding would be pretty minimal. If he can get a really good deal for himself at another club, good on him and absolutely do what is best for him and his career. May as well earn as much as he can while he can. Going on 28, won't have 10 years left him id imagine.
Can't see him wanting to start again at another club and having to proving himself all over again.
Wont have 10 years left? No s**t? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back