Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the only decision that the list management team has made that I really disagree with in a couple of years.

In saying that, I also understand why they do it. Jack and Taz gone in one off-season would leave a leadership crater at the club and is one of those things that could do real damage to the club culture and atmosphere.

But I would have been more comfortable with one and a trigger for another year. I think there's a decent chance he's not best 22 at the beginning of '23.

This is the only decision that the list management team has made that I really disagree with in a couple of years.

In saying that, I also understand why they do it. Jack and Taz gone in one off-season would leave a leadership crater at the club and is one of those things that could do real damage to the club culture and atmosphere.

But I would have been more comfortable with one and a trigger for another year. I think there's a decent chance he's not best 22 at the beginning of '23.

I think he has bent the club over

I think he has bent the club over

That's a pretty harsh read. It might be just as fair for the club to say that Tarrant leaving changes the cap plan enough that a two year deal for JZ isn't as big of a concern and the benefits now outweigh what were negatives when trying to keep both on separate 1 year deals. I don't think it has to be that big of a deal for us. As much as the club clearly respect JZ's on field and off field leadership I don't see it as a panic offer just because Tarrant has left - I just think there's now more wriggle room and slightly less risk for them. FWIW Noble doesn't strike me as the kind of coach that wouldn't make the hard call - captain, ex captain or otherwise - if a player's position was no longer tenable 2/3's of the way through a contract.

Last edited:
For those doubting his performances this year, just note this was his FIRST YEAR IN DEFENCE. And the ball came down like a baseball thrown by McGregor. He stood up well.

Yeah he made some errors. So what. Everyone did.

This is our captain ffs. Watch round 22 vs Adelaide where he missed. Zeebs sets a very high standard for the team and we missed him sorely that day.

For those doubting his performances this year, just note this was his FIRST YEAR IN DEFENCE. And the ball came down like a baseball thrown by McGregor. He stood up well.

This is our captain ffs. Watch round 22 vs Adelaide where he missed. Zeebs sets a very high standard for the team and we missed him sorely that day.

Very close to single handedly held our defence together against West Coast. His intercepting was fantastic.

Career best disposal efficiency (by almost TWENTY percent) and likewise smashed the s**t out of his intercept rate, second highest career contested marks, career best 1%ers, career best disposals yet has had numerous years with more turnovers, second best TOG% of his career...

I'm going to guess that this, and the prospect of improving after a year in defence under his belt, is why he was holding out for a second year. A fairly justifiable position I would have thought! Bent the club over... yeah right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a 1 year deals only for over 30's makes perfect sense, including for JZ, but in reality it won't fly in many situations. JZ has played this situation perfectly and who could begrudge him.
So what happens if lets say for example you are 28 and sign 5 year deal. In that scenario when you are 30 you will still have 3 years left.

Surely it would have been Gold Coast? I don’t see any other club who would require him.

I still wouldn’t mind seeing him go forward

Finally someone in this thread who makes sense. Ziebell is coming into his own in defence and assuming a Luke Hodge-type role, it’s exactly what we need down back. He’s had close to a career best season and is one of the few leaders we have. Poor form by north to * with his contract the way they have.

Taz I understand but this arbitrary 1 year post 30 deal is stupid. Fine as a business rule but applied by default and lowballing your captain, in a side with very few other leaders, sends the worst possible message to our up and coming stars. If the club can play Ziebs like this, what sort of loyalty can others expect at a similar point in their careers?

North is not the sort of club that can offer playing in front of 60k fans each week and you won’t get massive endorsements like you will at the Pies or Hawks. So loyalty and connection to the club, and trust that the club will reward you for your commitment and performance (within reason) needs to exist. Otherwise, what incentive, really, is there for LDU, Thomas to re-sign once their current contracts are up?

This dodgy approach will come back to hurt us.

Taz I understand but this arbitrary 1 year post 30 deal is stupid. Fine as a business rule but applied by default and lowballing your captain, in a side with very few other leaders, sends the worst possible message to our up and coming stars. If the club can play Ziebs like this, what sort of loyalty can others expect at a similar point in their careers?
That's a good point. If this goes on we might find players in their prime at 28 years old looking at long term offers from other clubs

Finally someone in this thread who makes sense. Ziebell is coming into his own in defence and assuming a Luke Hodge-type role, it’s exactly what we need down back. He’s had close to a career best season and is one of the few leaders we have. Poor form by north to fu** with his contract the way they have.

North is not the sort of club that can offer playing in front of 60k fans each week and you won’t get massive endorsements like you will at the Pies or Hawks. So loyalty and connection to the club, and trust that the club will reward you for your commitment and performance (within reason) needs to exist. Otherwise, what incentive, really, is there for LDU, Thomas to re-sign once their current contracts are up?

This dodgy approach will come back to hurt us.
Drawing a long bow on a lot of things there.

All right then. I don't agree with this decision but I understand it. I just hope that we're prepared to say to him in 2023 that he might be playing some VFL.

I was trawling Youtube and came across this AA analysis based purely on stats.

I don't know WTF this youtuber is, but it was interesting that Jack was the 4th interchange player in this very logical, money-ball style, stats-heavy assessment of the AA.

I saw this the other day. I was actually gonna mention it but forgot. He is the only North player in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back