Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo liked Jack

8. Jack at the Gabba

It takes a good team to beat Brisbane at home (they have lost four games by fewer than seven points) and their midfield youngsters are taking steps forward. They see Luke Hodge every week for inspiration and at the weekend saw Jack Ziebell up close. The North Melbourne captain, once a kid with potential, is now a vastly respected leader and is probably the main reason why the Kangas won. Season-highs in disposals (26), goals (three) and score involvements (10) on the road is a huge game.

Finally played in his proper position for a season and was AA squad quality for the first time in his career.

He could kick 50 next year.

A really mature player now.

He ended up having a better year than Caddy imo.

Caddy kicked 9 more goals, but Jack had about 10 more shots on goal.

Jack was better across almost every other statistic.

Was top 10 in the league in I50 tackles, number 1 contested marking medium forward. He seemed to sort out his goal kicking a bit more over the last month.

Easily his best year to date, if he kicks straight next year, he could genuinely kick 50 goals.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Caddy's 9 additional goals were scored from one yard out as the Tigers virtually walked the ball into goal with handball chains.

Just love Jack's brutual attack on the footy, which hasn't waned one iota.

Finally played in his proper position for a season and was AA squad quality for the first time in his career.

He could kick 50 next year.

A really mature player now.

Agreed. Got shouted down for saying he was a 2nd or 3rd string mid but if you did the depth chart now, he would probably be in the 3rd string rotation.

Glad he has found his position. Will be interesting to see whether Wood and Ziebell share a forward line next year because I feel you can have only one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Got shouted down for saying he was a 2nd or 3rd string mid but if you did the depth chart now, he would probably be in the 3rd string rotation.

Glad he has found his position. Will be interesting to see whether Wood and Ziebell share a forward line next year because I feel you can have only one.

Yep. I danced around that in another comment somewhere, JZ is clearly a significantly more dangerous forward. Wood may be saved by Waite going but I suspect that even in that case it won't be enough. We'll end up needing someone like McKay / Daw forward or Larkey to take the leap. Brown can't be the only one out option in the long term.

Kicked 35.29 for the year. 4th most behinds in the AFL, behind genuine KPFs like Buddy, Riewoldt and Hawkins.

Ziebell scored 64 times this season. Jack Darling scored only once more with 65, but scored 275 points for the season as opposed to Ziebell's 239. For comparison, Caddy scored 57 times but scored 38 more points more than Ziebell. That's equivalent to over 6 goals. That means that Caddy's scoring a goal from 77% of his shots (excluding complete misses). If Ziebell had that sort of accuracy, he'd have kicked 49 goals for the season, and would have put him 6th in the Coleman.

I think he put in a hell of an effort for his first real crack at the forwardline, but I think the above shows that nailing his set shot routine could turn him into a genuine AA-level forward.

Kicked 35.29 for the year. 4th most behinds in the AFL, behind genuine KPFs like Buddy, Riewoldt and Hawkins.

Ziebell scored 64 times this season. Jack Darling scored only once more with 65, but scored 275 points for the season as opposed to Ziebell's 239. For comparison, Caddy scored 57 times but scored 38 more points more than Ziebell. That's equivalent to over 6 goals. That means that Caddy's scoring a goal from 77% of his shots (excluding complete misses). If Ziebell had that sort of accuracy, he'd have kicked 49 goals for the season, and would have put him 6th in the Coleman.

I think he put in a hell of an effort for his first real crack at the forwardline, but I think the above shows that nailing his set shot routine could turn him into a genuine AA-level forward.
To be fair, a decent amount of Caddy's goals are scored from the goal square or similar proximity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back