Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

If I had to pick one exit interview to listen in on today it would be this one.

Hopefully we handle the next few months respectfully as he has given our football club a lot over the past decade and you could never argue that he didn't leave it all on the field for us. If he breaks down early it's because he spent 200+ games flying into packs, tackling like a mad man and putting his body on the line week after week.

If we remove the captaincy from him then hopefully it's presented as his own decision in order to focus on his recovery and form.

He had a good game outside the glaring issue of his set shots.

His attack on the man is still first class and he positions very well and reads the flight to be an strong marking option. There were stages when we were up and about that his and Garner's energy was keeping our opportunities coming.

His legs may be slow but he's also smart and knowing how to find the ball too.

I would let him keep the captaincy. There is no bang down the door, mature replacement yet. Jack has never had the benefit of leading a cohesive settled group and deserves a shot to at least shape Shaw's vision next year.

Has had a truly terrible season, which is adding to his questionably shaky run as captain. There's no disputing that Jack bleeds for the jumper and puts his body on the line in a ridiculous fashion, but not being able to secure the most basic tenets of captaincy; nailing the captains goal is a death sentence and add that to the inability to even contribute to a game puts a big question mark on his future not only as captain but as a player.

Needs to seriously change the way he plays, start from scratch, have an entirely new pre-season routine and most importantly try to stay injury-free.

This is becoming an ongoing problem with even worse returns, I fear for his career, I want him to be the captain he clearly desires to be.

He had a good game outside the glaring issue of his set shots.

His attack on the man is still first class and he positions very well and reads the flight to be an strong marking option. There were stages when we were up and about that his and Garner's energy was keeping our opportunities coming.

His legs may be slow but he's also smart and knowing how to find the ball too.

I would let him keep the captaincy. There is no bang down the door, mature replacement yet. Jack has never had the benefit of leading a cohesive settled group and deserves a shot to at least shape Shaw's vision next year.

You should check out his frustration during & after matches mate. He doesn't kid himself.

He's not going to change the way he plays, lets get serious.

He's slowing down, not speeding up.

He goes to ground to win the ball at nearly every instance, it's a tell tale sign of a player that is almost cooked at any level of football.

They generally don't have the confidence to stay and continue the play and it just exacerbates how bad they are at times.

Given the ruthlessness on some very long term players today, he has a year to put some performances on the park, no free lunches under Brady, even with the C next to your name (for now).

We all love how he plays and he clearly bleeds for the jumper, but we aren't here to bow to the sensitivities of a player that realistically might not be best 22 in the near future.

The captaincy will get changed, as the above fact is far to much of a compromising situation for the club to be put in and tbh they were in that position at times this year.

He's not going to change the way he plays, lets get serious.

He's slowing down, not speeding up.

He goes to ground to win the ball at nearly every instance, it's a tell tale sign of a player that is almost cooked at any level of football.

They generally don't have the confidence to stay and continue the play and it just exacerbates how bad they are at times.

Given the ruthlessness on some very long term players today, he has a year to put some performances on the park, no free lunches under Brady, even with the C next to your name (for now).

We all love how he plays and he clearly bleeds for the jumper, but we aren't here to bow to the sensitivities of a player that realistically might not be best 22 in the near future.

The captaincy will get changed, as the above fact is far to much of a compromising situation for the club to be put in and tbh they were in that position at times this year.
OR....

Will he retire and therefore go on his own terms?

Honestly, a few more games like last night and his reputation is evaporated.

Will he retire and therefore go on his own terms?

When the time comes, that's how I see it eventuating.

Needless to say, a huge 2021 awaits Jack. I just hope he gets a good run fitness wise.

When the time comes, that's how I see it eventuating.

Needless to say, a huge 2021 awaits Jack. I just hope he gets a good run fitness wise.
Jeez I hope Tef. Jack has played as tough as anybody I’ve watched and has taken more than most in return. He’s been suspended for acts that others have been praised for and have got away with - thanks AFL.

But he also needs to know his limitations as his body ages.

In 2021, I hope he focuses on being a leader. The way that Hodge was basically an on-field coach at the bears.

Has had a truly terrible season, which is adding to his questionably shaky run as captain. There's no disputing that Jack bleeds for the jumper and puts his body on the line in a ridiculous fashion, but not being able to secure the most basic tenets of captaincy; nailing the captains goal is a death sentence and add that to the inability to even contribute to a game puts a big question mark on his future not only as captain but as a player.

Needs to seriously change the way he plays, start from scratch, have an entirely new pre-season routine and most importantly try to stay injury-free.

This is becoming an ongoing problem with even worse returns, I fear for his career, I want him to be the captain he clearly desires to be.
So did Andrew Swallow that’s why he will never walk into Arden Street again .

Used to be one of my favourites.

Now he just frustrates the living s^it out of me when he plays......

(some nice inside corridor kicks to his credit last night)

So did Andrew Swallow that’s why he will never walk into Arden Street again .

Actually, I believe the only thing stopping Jack being a great captain is the fact that he seems to have completely lost the ability to convert simple set shot opportunities. Last night he could have led us to victory, simply by kicking like he did when he was playing U14’s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love you Jack, and I know you are North to the core, but a 11% return for goals from marks inside 50 just isn't good enough mate.

You can pull off some great kicks when you're mobile, but this set shot thing is way out of whack. Just play on and have a shot instead.

I love you Jack, and I know you are North to the core, but a 11% return for goals from marks inside 50 just isn't good enough mate.

You can pull off some great kicks when you're mobile, but this set shot thing is way out of whack. Just play on and have a shot instead.

Is it really 11%?
I honestly can't remember him kicking a set shot this year other than one from the square.

I'd actually like to know how many set shots in a row he's missed.

Its in his head now.

The attempt around the corner kick is proof of it.

His most important preseason coming up.

Is it really 11%?
I honestly can't remember him kicking a set shot this year other than one from the square.

1 out of 9 M50's.

A lot of the misses are dead in front and not that far out, he just doesn't kick through the ball anymore and the stab kicks go all over the place.

I am not sure if he is nailing them at practice but is choking in games or what, because the routine is horribly flawed looking at the games he played this year.

A lot of the misses are dead in front and not that far out, he just doesn't kick through the ball anymore and the stab kicks go all over the place.

I am not sure if he is nailing them at practice but is choking in games or what, because the routine is horribly flawed looking at the games he played this year.
Yeah I agree, Tas.

He used to kick right through the ball during his younger years. Great technique, could roost it from 50 easily and honestly, he was one of our more reliable kicks.

Yeah I agree, Tas.

He used to kick right through the ball during his younger years. Great technique, could roost it from 50 easily and honestly, he was one of our more reliable kicks.

I can only presume he has long term yips. Remember when LT couldn’t hit a barn door for one or two seasons? The following year, he was a dead eye Dick. Eric Hipwood is another good example. He could end up costing the Lions the flag this season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can only presume he has long term yips. Remember when LT couldn’t hit a barn door for one or two seasons? The following year, he was a dead eye Dick. Eric Hipwood is another good example. He could end up costing the Lions the flag this season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Some goal kicking with Boomer like he did with Lindsay could be in order.

Stabbing at it, leaning back on it, falling away, dropping the ball from way to high, he better get it sorted because he's we don't want him anywhere near the midfield either, apart from a few short spurts here and there for variety and rest of others. Might be finished real quick for him.

May have been thrown up before, but is there any chance Jack could become a Hodge type half back? Safe hands & good field kick. Takes the pressure off his goal kicking. Get a few of these soft half forwards thinking twice if he’s in their vicinity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back