Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Could Jack be a straight swap for Ben Brown?

Playing around with best 22 today, it stood out he could play the same leading role.

Lower on the KMs, higher on the physicality and ground presence.

Jack definitely knows how to time a lead.
Yep, think this will be something close to what his role will be next year. The forward line in almost every best 22 posted in the best 22 thread is so ridiculously young that we're going to need him to be a really strong leader in that area of the ground next season. Not just with the physicality, but also in terms of setting standards.

When I used to post here I was never as big a fan of Jack as most other people, but in 2020 his absence actually kinda made me realise how valuable his presence and leadership will be in a young team. I mean, sure, we did have bad losses with him in the side, but they can be ******* demoralising when there's little leadership around the team. I just hope he can get back close to his best footy. It would be sad to see him outperformed by all our young half-forwards next year and go out with a whimper.

2021 Full Forward Jack Ziebell

Compete, Tackle, Lead.

If he can kick some goals, great.

It's the kicking for goal though - for mine he's lost all confidence in his kicking at goal, whether that is because his body is letting him down too much or it's just plain old yips I don't know. But I agree with you that he looked solid when he came in at times but so many missed chances crippled his return. With vaguely AFL level goal accuracy this year he'd have had an okay year after challenging injuries...

Time will tell I guess but he can't afford another season like that and neither can we, we're trying to develop a younger team and you can't inspire kids when you can't kick set shots that any kid with 2 legs was making in primary school.
Totally agree. I've made so many comments about his mediocre kicking for goal. It's such a huge problem that was his strength 6-7 years back.

2021 Full Forward Jack Ziebell

Compete, Tackle, Lead.

If he can kick some goals, great.

Or Half forward.

Jack Ziebell says a new rehabilitation program that saw him taking only a week off running post-season is the first step to bouncing back from a torrid injury toll this year.

The North Melbourne captain said on Friday he was keen to continue in that role next season, but would await guidance from the club’s new coach David Noble.

The Roos have moved on from a disastrous 2020 season where they lost coach Rhyce Shaw, delisted 11 players, and lost veterans Ben Brown and Shaun Higgins to rival clubs.

Ziebell says the club’s ability to bring in Aidan Corr, Jaidyn Stephenson and Atu Bosenavulagi while retaining a strong draft hand has him brimming with positivity.

But to be part of it he needs to overcome the soft-tissue problems that saw him battling with a calf issue all summer, then reinjuring his hamstring mid-season and playing only eight games.

“I couldn’t quite get my body right, so I am looking to bounce back this year for a solid pre-season for the first time in a while,” he said.

“It was hard to watch, having to sit on my hands on the sidelines when the team wasn’t performing to its optimum.

“So I am looking to get my body right and set myself up so I don’t miss any footy. I have had a good chat with the high-performance team here and prioritised my load management.

“In the past off-seasons I have maybe had too big a break from running, and other injury setbacks have contributed to me needing a spell.

“This year I had a week-and-a-half off when we finished in the hub and started running again, so the young boys start in three weeks and I am looking forward to sliding in there and doing some sessions with them.”

Collingwood’s desperation to trade Stephenson related at least in some part to his lack of professionalism in the Magpies hub as he endured a torrid third season.

But Ziebell said he could not fault him when he spent time at the club in his senior TAC Cup year as part of the AFL academy group.

“No one is perfect but (Stephenson) is a serious talent. He can kick serious goals and the way he started last year and the year before, kicking three or four goals in a quarter, if you can do that you have some serious talent,” Ziebell said.

“The boys did a fantastic job convincing him to come across and he actually spent two weeks here four years ago, and he was staying with Sam Wright and he was rapt with him and his training and demeanour. So we couldn’t be happier to land him.”

Ziebell, 30 in February, will wait until Noble arrives to see whether he remains as captain.

“Whatever is best for the club. If I am the man for the club … I am more than happy to continue on and vice versa,” he said.

I know Noble was careful not to directly answer any question about players and their positions, but anyone else get the distinct impression that Ziebell will absolutely be spending the pre-season at half-back?

I know Noble was careful not to directly answer any question about players and their positions, but anyone else get the distinct impression that Ziebell will absolutely be spending the pre-season at half-back?
Well JZ can't play mid and he can't play inside 50 anymore - so we need to keep all other options open.

We tried this with Wood last year to no impact - however that is no reason not to try same with the Captain though.

JZ still reads the play well - I don't have a problem with that - but the issue will be his ball use from that position.

Jack Ziebell says a new rehabilitation program that saw him taking only a week off running post-season is the first step to bouncing back from a torrid injury toll this year.

The North Melbourne captain said on Friday he was keen to continue in that role next season, but would await guidance from the club’s new coach David Noble.

The Roos have moved on from a disastrous 2020 season where they lost coach Rhyce Shaw, delisted 11 players, and lost veterans Ben Brown and Shaun Higgins to rival clubs.

Ziebell says the club’s ability to bring in Aidan Corr, Jaidyn Stephenson and Atu Bosenavulagi while retaining a strong draft hand has him brimming with positivity.

But to be part of it he needs to overcome the soft-tissue problems that saw him battling with a calf issue all summer, then reinjuring his hamstring mid-season and playing only eight games.

“I couldn’t quite get my body right, so I am looking to bounce back this year for a solid pre-season for the first time in a while,” he said.

“It was hard to watch, having to sit on my hands on the sidelines when the team wasn’t performing to its optimum.

“So I am looking to get my body right and set myself up so I don’t miss any footy. I have had a good chat with the high-performance team here and prioritised my load management.

“In the past off-seasons I have maybe had too big a break from running, and other injury setbacks have contributed to me needing a spell.

“This year I had a week-and-a-half off when we finished in the hub and started running again, so the young boys start in three weeks and I am looking forward to sliding in there and doing some sessions with them.”

Collingwood’s desperation to trade Stephenson related at least in some part to his lack of professionalism in the Magpies hub as he endured a torrid third season.

But Ziebell said he could not fault him when he spent time at the club in his senior TAC Cup year as part of the AFL academy group.

“No one is perfect but (Stephenson) is a serious talent. He can kick serious goals and the way he started last year and the year before, kicking three or four goals in a quarter, if you can do that you have some serious talent,” Ziebell said.

“The boys did a fantastic job convincing him to come across and he actually spent two weeks here four years ago, and he was staying with Sam Wright and he was rapt with him and his training and demeanour. So we couldn’t be happier to land him.”

Ziebell, 30 in February, will wait until Noble arrives to see whether he remains as captain.

“Whatever is best for the club. If I am the man for the club … I am more than happy to continue on and vice versa,” he said.

Well anyone wondering if Jack would stay on as captain just to get a game theres your answer. Quote what ever is best for the club. If i am the man for the club....I am more than happy to continue on and vice versa he said.

No. My take was that Noble was humouring the questioner a bit. My reading was that Jack is now a forward who can help out in the midfield as long as his body and form allow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming we play with three key defenders in McKay, Tarrant and Corr we then have McDonald, Atley, Perez and Young for the remaining three spots.

I doubt Young was lured over to play VFL so I think he would have to be given an opportunity, I'd like to see Perez play as well. I just find it hard seeing us add Ziebell to the mix.

I think McDonald is already playing that quarterback style role, what McDonald needs are aggressive runners that he can distribute to.

Assuming we play with three key defenders in McKay, Tarrant and Corr we then have McDonald, Atley, Perez and Young for the remaining three spots.

I doubt Young was lured over to play VFL so I think he would have to be given an opportunity, I'd like to see Perez play as well. I just find it hard seeing us add Ziebell to the mix.

I think McDonald is already playing that quarterback style role, what McDonald needs are aggressive runners that he can distribute to.
Hayden will play as the lockdown small defender

Hits the odd good one but I've never thought he was a particularly reliable field kick even if i do think the criticisms of him hacking it out of stoppages are overstated.
There are certainly times when a quick hack forward is the best option out of a stoppage, but JZs problem is he does it when its not the best option. He burns guys that are free for a handball, and this is the problem if he goes back. If his decision making is poor then we will be in big trouble.

With Corr, Taz, LMac, Ats and Walker there's plenty of experience.

We need JZ firing up forward with stints on the ball, otherwise off to the 2's.

Given his goal kicking struggles over the last couple of years, I can see a good reason for him to NOT play in the forward line. On the other hand, he has never been a safe ball user, and that is even more dangerous in the back half. And with Brown leaving, we do need some experience up forward. I can see it going both ways. One thing is certain though - Jack probably won't find himself in the middle any longer.

Can't believe this stuff that our Captain won't be in the midfield, so we have another season of players pussyfooting around the edge of packs and playing with timidity when our Captain would just crash in and get the ball.

Can't believe this stuff that our Captain won't be in the midfield, so we have another season of players pussyfooting around the edge of packs and playing with timidity when our Captain would just crash in and get the ball.

These days he just crashes in and gets injured, gets the ball if he can and when he does, disposes it to little effect.

He's a good midfielder for 2-5 mins tops, then he needs to let someone else with speed, the execution, and skill to extract it properly.

Jed basically does Jack's job better than he can already anyway.

Honestly want to see him the fittest he's ever been.

A proper preseason full of running and fitness.

I feel the captaincy is actually a bit of a quandary here. Jack would lay down in traffic for the club cannot fault him for that. However it creates an issue when he is devoid of on-field confidence. That s**t is cancer. So if he goes around again as captain, there is the potential he needs to be carried if his body fails him or his confidence is clearly not there. There are cascading issues from taking the captaincy from him. We give it to Taz and we are doing so only to take it off him in a short period of time to hand it to one of the younger blokes. We give it to Luke and perhaps 2020 is one out of the box and he goes back to being just a solid journey man type player. We give it to Jy and maybe it inhibits him taking the next, much needed step. Its a pretty big decision facing Noble what happens here.

The captaincy problem aside I would very much like Jack's 2021 to be of such quality that he is seen as required in 2022. He bleeds Blue and white and if his form is demanding another year it'd mean he has had a good one.

No.
He’s spending the pre season fishing. I know they deserve a break and whatnot but Jack is fighting for his career and place in the side.

So dissapointed he’s not putting in extra work.

No.
He’s spending the pre season fishing. I know they deserve a break and whatnot but Jack is fighting for his career and place in the side.

He said himself he’s had one week off, post-hub & then was straight back into running. Also stated he’s going to be doing sessions with the younger players when they start back at the club this week.

Give him a break mate.

No.

Tazaa. Mate.

I know where you're coming from.

I'd like to think fishing is not a replacement to fitness and club requirements.

Let's give it this next season and if same again yep I'll agree with you it's not good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back