Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Has a 6 week old newborn at home and has decided to go up with the team.

With all the unknowns about how long they might be away for no one would’ve begrudged him for staying especially when you consider it’s his first child.

Would absolutely suck being in his position.
Leaders like Jack have incredibly supportive families.

We as supporters often fail to appreciate or even recognise their role in the success the club enjoys.

I hope they are acknowledged by the club at the Syd Barker this year; it has been a rough two years for them.

Playing like the captain we wanted him to be. Has gone from goal kicking yips and heart-in-mouth exits from defence to Mr Reliable - while still taking the game on with his kicks. And stands under the tough ball - but always has. We’ll done JZ.

Last edited:
Had a good year and filled the void from a messy backline group.

Be interesting how they position him in a fully fit list. Our forward still lack good leading options and Jack did that pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

JZ has made a good a fist of playing back as could have been expected.

However we are developing good depth in the back half now.

We saw what happened yesterday when we have multiple players who can run and carry.

Alot to play out here e.g will Corr and Taz return to their best; will Perez get right; will Bonar pick up where he left off; should LMAc go back?

Again, very good intercept work and his kicking game was point. His last few weeks down back have been fantastic. Has been far more measured in his choice of option, so when he has bitten off the corridor kick, it has come off and really splits the opposition.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it would take a while to get the hang of what he is doing down there as the team develop this new way of playing. He's gonna be better at this next year as he learns the position and how it fits with Noble's aims I reckon.

Going very well now. Defensive errors have reduced and he is building on his natural strength of being very good with the game ahead of him. Has to be less toll on the body as well. Wonder what the club sees as a realistic timeline for him to continue now...?

Again, very good intercept work and his kicking game was point. His last few weeks down back have been fantastic. Has been far more measured in his choice of option, so when he has bitten off the corridor kick, it has come off and really splits the opposition.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It works both ways IMO, I think a lot of the corridor kicks earlier in the year could have come off if other team mates were on the page they are now. Not to say there weren't some bad ones, because there were, but as a whole I think the squad has adjusted to being far more aware of the potential to use the corridor.

It works both ways IMO, I think a lot of the corridor kicks earlier in the year could have come off if other team mates were on the page they are now. Not to say there weren't some bad ones, because there were, but as a whole I think the squad has adjusted to being far more aware of the potential to use the corridor.

Whats stood out for me is because we use the corridor more and teams are having to give it more focus we're finding easier options on our down the line or switch plays.

Whats stood out for me is because we use the corridor more and teams are having to give it more focus we're finding easier options on our down the line or switch plays.
AKA, it’s harder to defend the whole ground than half of it. Getting into the corridor while maintaining the discipline to hold your width spreads everything out. Having the stones to get it in there when the bad guys are trying to deny you the centre pays off.

Yep. Was always my issue with the kick to one pocket. Nothing wrong with it on its own, but you can't do it every time unless you have a contested marking weapon like Majak, Petrie or Waite to go to - it just becomes too predictable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now into his fifth season as captain, it appears likely the highly-respected Jack Ziebell will hand over the reins at year's end. There had been talk that Luke McDonald and Jy Simpkin could take the role of co-captains in David Noble's maiden season at North Melbourne, but both were ultimately named co-vice-captains at the start of the year. Expect them to be in prime position to share the mantle when it becomes available, having emerged as two of the brightest leaders at Arden Street. Robbie Tarrant, Ben Cunnington and Kayne Turner are also involved in a six-man leadership group. Longer-term, last year's No.3 draft pick Will Phillips is seen as one who could develop into a leader at the club. – Riley Beveridge

I was one who thought he was shot 12 months ago.
What a revival. Even in the preseason I had my doubts. Trust in Nobel.
Deserves another contract and deserves to captain.
Never been prouder of him.

Ziebell keeps turning back the clock

Herald Sun

North Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell is statistically on track to record the most prolific season of his career — and it looks certain to end in a new one-year deal.

While the Kangaroos have held their powder dry in recontracting their veterans so far this year, Ziebell has clearly done enough to push into a 14th AFL season in 2022.

He will turn 31 before the start of next season, but has repeatedly said he is keen to play on for as long as his body will allow him.

While some initially questioned David Noble’s decision to reprogram Ziebell as a defender this year — and a number suggested he was playing for his future in 2021 — the move to the back half has proven a good one for him and the Kangaroos.

He has played every game so far this season and is only 10 disposals short of pushing through the 500-disposal mark for the second time in his career.

He is only 25 disposals off his season-best tally of 515, from 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back