Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Teared up watching that. Hard but right call.

Class act who's bled for the club his entire time at North and pulling the pin at the right time proves his heart is in the right place.

True Shinboner, thanks Jack.

Last edited:
I'm pretty close to tears after watching Jack's speech. From the couch, fence or stands you can't comprehend the amount of pain and sacrifice Jack has given to the club and its supporters. I'll forever be thankful for Jack as the captain that never cracked under thousands of atmospheres of pressure through the hub, Shaw and Noble disasters.

Watching Jack Ziebell play will be an experience that will never be recreated. One of the more violent and impactful players of the modern era that at stages in his career could have broken a jaw, pulled down a mark going back into a pack or bombed a goal from 55 metres out. Kids don't play like Jack anymore and if they do they don't get drafted. That might mean less concussions but less excitement too.

Farewell skipper. I hope I can buy you a beer sometime and tell you what you've meant to me in person.

I'm definitely not an emotional type, but i confess, Jack's farewell speech got me too, his retirement was inevitable, of course, and no doubt the writing has been on the wall for a while, but jeepers, reality bites.

All the best Jack for your future, hope you can help Crock get a premiership for our girls.

Has held us together during the worst of time. Jack has done himself very proud

This is a very good point. From a distance (and a very little bit or more direct experience) I think he's been an exceptional leader.

He can't be judged by team results but he can be judged on his messaging, his commitment on-field and the persona he has presented for himself and the club during an extremely rough period.

On those criteria I think he's been excellent.

For a long time Jack’s fearless attack on the ball and man epitomised what we strived to be about as Shinboners.

I couldn’t love the bloke more for the sacrifices he made time and again for our club.

Him breaking his leg at Footy Park where I sat with Pharro is etched in my bonce forever, as are the many moments of celebration he led on field as we won against the odds.

I’ll miss the bloke but my daughter will miss him even more. Jack was her first North hero and she loved interacting with him at the family and kids clinic days. He was a ripper!

All the best Shinboner. 👍

I remember going to family day at the start of 2009 when Jack first arrived and seeing him interact with all the kids. He was only 17 himself. True clubman crippled by injuries early in his career.

Thanks Jack. Enjoy your next phase of your life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ever the professional right til the end.

Thanks for everything Jack. Led this club through some really trying times and was always there for your team mates when they needed someone.

Media would be stupid not to pick him up with the way he presents himself and his knowledge of the game.

Sucks that a couple of broken legs and a few bullshit suspensions robbed him of 300.

Best of luck with everything in the future JZ, Shinboner for life.

Jack Ziebell fact file
Drafted at selection No.9 in the 2008 AFL Draft
Recruited from: Wodonga Bulldogs/Murray Bushrangers
Debut: Round 1, 2009 v Melbourne
Shinboner Number: 948
Guernsey numbers: 19 (10 games), 7 (266 games*)
Career games: 276*
Career goals: 183*
Brownlow Medal votes: 56*
Syd Barker Medal placings: 2nd (2016), 3rd (2021)
AFL Rising Star nominee: Round 7, 2009
AFLPA Most Courageous Player nominee: 2013, ‘15, ‘16 and ‘17
Most possessions in a game: 41 in Round 11 v Western Bulldogs, 2011

My kids grew with See ball, get ball, like Jack Ziebell. They're both hard nuts. Thanks Jack.

the guy was my favourite player in his first 10 years and has had a great career, glad he will still be at the club in the aflw space

ill try erase the last 2 years from my memory

glad he is outright 10th in games played for north

definition of shinboner, had toughness but class also

hope the farewell game is the dons one and he goes out and flattens some druggies (legally or not)
and deny him one last chance to run out on to The G. Yeah, Nah. He can flatten Swallow for never coming to North.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back