Player Watch #7: Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

He is that Runt in the opposition team that just gives you the sh!ts because he is just so good and is everywhere getting in the way and doing damage.

Farq i love this little campaigner
He always looks like he is chatting away too when play stops, s**t stirrring the oppo.

Still worried about him playing mid. Might get killed. Expect him and bolton to go forward or back if the injury players come good.

So fast tough skilled kids a champ.

The future mid suddenly looks alright; baker. Bolton(?). RCD. Graham. Etc

Baker allows Bolton to drift forward and be more dangerous like Dusty.

I think Baker can be more effective as a mid than defender in the back half but either way he can help out in a lot of areas which is not a bad thing

Gets me frustrated this.
How many times does it have to be told that our smalls are not there just to kick goals.In fact its a bonus.
Pressure Pressure Pressure is our system and their all part of it.
Of course they’re not there just to kick goals, but don’t you think it’s a fairly important part of being a forward and if we had more dangerous goal kickers oppo can’t sit back and double team our talls? “A bonus”? What rubbish.
Baker ball in hand inside 50 having a shot...or George/Aarts?
Baker kicking I50 to JR8/Lynch...or George/Aarts?
Baker crumbing at JR8’s feet... or George/Aarts?
Can Baker pressure and tackle as good as George/Aarts? Yes.
Baker totally wasted in backline with Short/Houli/Mansell in place already.

Baker’s cleanness and disposal is elite, needs to be involved setting up scoring opportunities as per Sheds and even JGTI.
George/Aarts are nowhere near his quality so you can get as frustrated as you like as far as I’m concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the last half v giants again. Baker's second, third, fourth efforts were unbelievable. Throws his body around pushing campaigners off the ball, tackles, blocks, he played like a bull midfielder. Fearless attack on the footy. And so clean. Immense game from him. Keeps playing like that and he might find himself a permanent part of the midfield rotation.

Daisy Pearce is the only one I’ve heard this week identify and talk up his game. She puts most of the blokes to shame.

Unfortunately that isn't hard.

Pick some dodgy thing to talk about and try to make a big story out of sensation. Actual analysis and understanding is a bit beyond them.

But displaying insight is probably a sure way to the outer edges of AFL commentary.

Baker is maybe more important elsewhere.

He is better than some small forwards, backs
If he can consistently produce the kind of game we saw against GWS there's no more important position than midfield for him to play.

When we talk about permanent midfield that obviously means primarily midfield with spells forward. His 2019/20 in the back was great but what we've seen this year is almost off the charts. Not counting Dusty, who else can carve up oppo with hand and foot like Baker? It's almost more impressive since he doesn't attract as much attention - when Dusty has it they try to crowd him and he knows our guys will run off him, free, giving him options for handball over the top, sideways etc.

And those 25-30m kicks into 50 are a thing of beauty, not to mention his timing and precision out of packs be it in the middle or off the ground around the 50, on the wing...

What a gem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back