AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Your ANZAC Day Medallist - 25/4

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is everyone still talking about anyone other than Hepp for Captain next year?

Did everyone miss the footage of him speaking to the team after the Dogs finals loss and Sydney loss earlier in the year? If you havent watched it or forgot about them watch again and tell me that bloke shouldn't be Captain anymore.

Why? Clear as day that he is a natural leader.

Why put that limitation on him so early in his career? Keep an open mind and see how he develops!
I think the skipper needs some footy acumen and as much as Draper gets the players up and about I’m not sure that is really a strong point of his.

What's McGrath done more than Ridley or even Parish?

Pretty sure he’s been earmarked as a leader from day one, was a major factor in being taken at pick 1.

He’s currently in the leadership group so is obviously more advanced than Ridley and Parish in that area.

I see him more as a future VC/leadership group rather than captain
Possibly. He might not be suited to it, and he could be best as someone who helps make things fun.

Of course, people probably thought the same about Max Gawn too. Draper's got plenty of development left in him.

Why put that limitation on him so early in his career? Keep an open mind and see how he develops!
Why don't we make everyone Captain then?

Being a Captain is someone who sets extreme standards and leads by example, and can provide constructive criticism. Yes, Draper seems an influential player amongst the group, and yes, he is still young, and new to the game.
Although he is still young, in order to be a Captain, he would have to learn more about the game to give off-ball leadership to help his teammates, which is already hard enough playing in the ruck.
On top of that, we have guys like McGrath who was captain of Brighton, Sandringham, Vic Metro, and leadership just comes easy for him. Vice-Captain of Essendon at age 22, and touted as a future captain as one of the main reasons for us picking him at #1.
If you think of the demeanor of our past captains; Jobe, Hepp, Goddard, Merrett.. They all have that mentality where you know that they're going to train the house down and lead by example. I'd say that is something that McGrath, Ridley, Langford, Parish, Shiel, Smith, and to a lesser extent you can see developing from Caldwell, Cox and Draper.

If it were up to me, I would have Heppell and Merrett as Co-Captains. Zach is ready, and at the right age. Hepp is in the later few years of his career and it would be beneficial to Zach, and the team's development to give Zach the responsibility, whilst at the same Heppell providing his leadership down back. They are a Yin and Yang of leadership styles, and would complement the teams spiritual energy.
Andy and Langford as Vice-Captains. Andy was previously mentioned, but Langers has seriously improved his leadership, and is very well respected by the club. He also provides leadership in a different area of the ground.
Round out the leadership group with Parish, Ridley and Hurley. Two young leaders of the club's future and the oldest fart on our list to nurture the rest of our young leaders.

I intended it as "at this point"

Captain I see as more of a calmer head, which he hasn't really shown signs of yet, not that it won't come down the track.

What I can see is him combining well with one of those calm head leaders in the future

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why don't we make everyone Captain then?

Being a Captain is someone who sets extreme standards and leads by example, and can provide constructive criticism. Yes, Draper seems an influential player amongst the group, and yes, he is still young, and new to the game.
Although he is still young, in order to be a Captain, he would have to learn more about the game to give off-ball leadership to help his teammates, which is already hard enough playing in the ruck.
On top of that, we have guys like McGrath who was captain of Brighton, Sandringham, Vic Metro, and leadership just comes easy for him. Vice-Captain of Essendon at age 22, and touted as a future captain as one of the main reasons for us picking him at #1.
If you think of the demeanor of our past captains; Jobe, Hepp, Goddard, Merrett.. They all have that mentality where you know that they're going to train the house down and lead by example. I'd say that is something that McGrath, Ridley, Langford, Parish, Shiel, Smith, and to a lesser extent you can see developing from Caldwell, Cox and Draper.

If it were up to me, I would have Heppell and Merrett as Co-Captains. Zach is ready, and at the right age. Hepp is in the later few years of his career and it would be beneficial to Zach, and the team's development to give Zach the responsibility, whilst at the same Heppell providing his leadership down back. They are a Yin and Yang of leadership styles, and would complement the teams spiritual energy.
Andy and Langford as Vice-Captains. Andy was previously mentioned, but Langers has seriously improved his leadership, and is very well respected by the club. He also provides leadership in a different area of the ground.
Round out the leadership group with Parish, Ridley and Hurley. Two young leaders of the club's future and the oldest fart on our list to nurture the rest of our young leaders.
I’m not suggesting everyone be captain. I’m not even suggesting Draper be captain. I’m saying he has clear leadership qualities and may emerge as a potential captaincy option.

Feel like many are judging him now on the basis of a stupid haircut…..Heppell spent most of his career looking like the village idiot!

There is a steely resolve about Zach that would translate well to captaincy. I figured he might be a bit aloof but am now thinking that it is more of a quiet determination.

There is no shame to being 2IC to Hep though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back