Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma

Remove this Banner Ad

Bucks and Corn had a big stiffy for him, I don't think I've heard a 2 minute convo about any North player in about a decade on a morning show, not even Sheezel last year.

You can sense Corn rates him very highly also, as he agreed with the Fyfe comparison and said North should leave him as a forward and develop him as our Toby Green instead of trying to turn him into a mid.

Last edited:

What's his wingspan like? Plays taller than he looks

It's about average for his height. Standing reach of 240cm.

Harley Reid has a standing reach of 242cm despite being 2cm shorter than Duursma.

It's Duursma's 97cm vertical which makes the difference.

His absolute vertical reach when jumping is 337cm, which despite Harley Reid's longer arms is 10cm higher than him, so gets a full football above his reach.

Duursma's marking apex height is very close to all of Archer Reid, Will Dawson, Ethan Reid and Connor O'Sullivan, all 200cm KPP's.

You can see this marking apex and how well he times his marks has translated even against established AFL players.

If he can run and jump at the ball, he is basically a KPF in the air.

Zane's younger brother Willem who is a top prospect in the 2025 draft, is one of the states best high jumpers for his age, as well as one of the best u/18 basketball prospects in the state also.

Last edited:

Harley Reid has a standing reach of 242cm despite being 2cm shorter than Duursma.

His absolute vertical reach when jumping is 337cm, which despite Harley Reid's longer arms is 10cm higher than him, so gets a full football above his reach.

Duursma's marking apex height is very close to all of Archer Reid, Will Dawson, Ethan Reid and Connor O'Sullivan, all 200cm KPP's.

You can see this marking apex and how well he times his marks has translated even against established AFL players.

Zane's younger brother Willem who is a top prospect in the 2025 draft, is one of the states best high jumpers for his age, as well as one of the best u/18 basketball prospects in the state also.

Thanks for that legend.

Those are some insane numbers.

Given some people i know from south gippy rate willem as potentially the best of the 3 theres ahuge chance he may go #1

Given some people i know from south gippy rate willem as potentially the best of the 3 theres ahuge chance he may go #1

I’d say it is neck and neck, he’s certainly a step up from Xavier.

Willem was impressive as a 16 year old, but Zane was also kicking bags as an under age player in the Coates League.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are very lucky to have him tbh, as since the draft I heard the deal was all but done with Essendon and St Kilda that would have seen Duursma go to Essendon and we would have received their first pick Caddy/O'Sullivan as well as a beefed up St Kilda compo pick. Paperwork was being prepared.

Dodoro ****ed up the deal badly in it's final stages with some final demands. North and St Kilda pulled the deal.

McKay almost walked from Essendon to Hawthorn as well due to him, but was talked back around by Scott. The compo pick for McKay at this point was very much borderline Band 1 and Band 2, the s**t that Dodoro pulled ensured that McKay and his management had Vozzo add a few hundred grand into his 2024 player wages as a result to about face.

Was almost like Dodo tried to blow the joint up in his final trade period.

Last edited:
We are very lucky to have him tbh, as since the draft I heard the deal was all but done with Essendon and St Kilda that would have seen Duursma go to Essendon and we would have received their first pick Caddy/O'Sullivan as well as a beefed up St Kilda compo pick.

Dodoro ****ed up the deal badly.

McKay almost walked from Essendon to Hawthorn as well due to him.
Tbh I would’ve been fine with Caddy/O’Sullivan and an extra first rounder/stkilda pick

But yes Zane looks good early days

that would have been a crap deal given we had 20. 21 and 23.
Caddy/O’Sullivan will be just as valuable as Zane imo and if we got an extra first on top of it that’s good business (6 first round picks would’ve been huge)

Again happy with Zane but would have been fine with that deal too

He's more James Hird than Fyfe IMO. I don't think Zane will ever be that brutal on-baller Fyfe is/was.
He looks to have a lot more class than Fyfe. I'd settle for either comparisons though :)
Fyfe did some massive gym transformations, he was a skinny beanpole kid back in 2011

I don’t see the Fyfe comparison but everything that I’ve seen preseason & Round 1 from Duursma has been promising.

Keep him in the forward half of the ground. We don’t need to ‘Kieran Harper’ this kid by trying to turn him into a midfielder.

We are very lucky to have him tbh, as since the draft I heard the deal was all but done with Essendon and St Kilda that would have seen Duursma go to Essendon and we would have received their first pick Caddy/O'Sullivan as well as a beefed up St Kilda compo pick. Paperwork was being prepared.

Dodoro ****ed up the deal badly in it's final stages with some final demands. North and St Kilda pulled the deal.

McKay almost walked from Essendon to Hawthorn as well due to him, but was talked back around by Scott. The compo pick for McKay at this point was very much borderline Band 1 and Band 2, the s**t that Dodoro pulled ensured that McKay and his management had Vozzo add a few hundred grand into his 2024 player wages as a result to about face.

Was almost like Dodo tried to blow the joint up in his final trade period.
Fascinating background. Appreciated.

Is it possible to blow up a joint you have already blown?

I’m the case of Dodo, yes.

I think it was Twomey who was heavily reporting at one stage that Essendon wanted to swap picks with us, but was offering to increase the bid for McKay if we did.

If what held that up was McKay asking the Hawks for the same money without the BS, then that's hilarious.

Anyway, Duursma looks incredible. Duursma for Reid was essentially the swap that we made from winning that game against the Gold Coast, and I doubt we're ever regretting that decision.

I think it was Twomey who was heavily reporting at one stage that Essendon wanted to swap picks with us, but was offering to increase the bid for McKay if we did.

If what held that up was McKay asking the Hawks for the same money without the BS, then that's hilarious.

Anyway, Duursma looks incredible. Duursma for Reid was essentially the swap that we made from winning that game against the Gold Coast, and I doubt we're ever regretting that decision.

Reid is very good but we already have davies uniacke but duursma, we don't have similar young player.

Also, too much attention is on reid that could ultimately push him to another club, most likely geelong for a 'better lifestyle' and some free real estate 3rd party assets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back