Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma

Remove this Banner Ad

We are very lucky to have him tbh, as since the draft I heard the deal was all but done with Essendon and St Kilda that would have seen Duursma go to Essendon and we would have received their first pick Caddy/O'Sullivan as well as a beefed up St Kilda compo pick. Paperwork was being prepared.

Dodoro ****ed up the deal badly in it's final stages with some final demands. North and St Kilda pulled the deal.

McKay almost walked from Essendon to Hawthorn as well due to him, but was talked back around by Scott. The compo pick for McKay at this point was very much borderline Band 1 and Band 2, the s**t that Dodoro pulled ensured that McKay and his management had Vozzo add a few hundred grand into his 2024 player wages as a result to about face.

Was almost like Dodo tried to blow the joint up in his final trade period.
So pick 4 (Zane) for pick 10 (Caddy/O'Sullivan) and Gresham compo pick 28 (21) (likely Morris/A Reid//Collard/Hastie/Lual types based on who was still on the board). Wouldn't say that's a great deal to be honest. Perhaps some other picks were involved.

Last edited:
So pick 4 (Zane) for pick 10 (Caddy/O'Sullivan) and Gresham compo pick 28 (21) (likely Morris/A Reid//Collard/Hastie/Lual types based on who was still on the board). Wouldn't say that's a great deal to be honest. Perhaps some other picks were involved.
I assume it would have been stkilda pick 14 coming to us not 28

4 for 10 and 14

Not sure what Essendon send to saints to make it worthwhile

as 4 for 10 and 28 would’ve been laughed at

I assume it would have been stkilda pick 14 coming to us not 28

4 for 10 and 14

Not sure what Essendon send to saints to make it worthwhile

as 4 for 10 and 28 would’ve been laughed at

But isn't it Pick 4 and McKay for 10 and 14?

We gave up McKay, got pick 4. Then we give pick 4 to * and get 10 and 14.

I am no mastermind like Cam Joyce, but I reckon we get screwed here....

But isn't it Pick 4 and McKay for 10 and 14?

We gave up McKay, got pick 4. Then we give pick 4 to * and get 10 and 14.

I am no mastermind like Cam Joyce, but I reckon we get screwed here....
McKay = pick 4

We never had both

So it’s McKay for pick 10 (caddy) and 14 (Wilson)

Or you can look at it as Duursma for caddy and wilson

That seems a decent deal to me

Think young Zane is going to show the Freo backmen what a good and tantalizing prospect as well as a headache he's going to be. If the ball is delivered half decent he could kick a bag, their main backmen will be focussed on Nick, being an all Australian forward, trying to tag team him but that just means Zane can pop up out of nowhere or should I say float out of nowhere. With Cox out for 12-14 weeks, Oscar Mcdonald out long term and Heath Chapman not playing their backline is depleted but they still have Jordan Clark, James Aish, Luke Ryan, Brandon Walker and Bailey Banfield who played well against Brisbane, wouldn't be surprised if Zane gets Bailey Banfield on Saturday.

I'll bump him.

Out of the carnage of the third quarter, this kid was impressive.

He was presenting all the way up on the half back flank - which is a sign he understood what was going on.

What about those hands?

Corr did this ridiculous helicopter thing in the first quarter and he caught it clean.

He might have the best hands going around in a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These last 2 drafts look to have completely flipped our fortunes, it almost can't be overstated how well we've done at face value. Sheezel, Duursma, Wardlaw and McKercher were all arguably in our best 10 or so players - which is nuts. We still have other players to bring in from those drafts as well.

If anything I thought Duursma was better this week, with a touch less reward.

Last edited:
These last 2 drafts look to have completely flipped our fortunes, it almost can't be understated how well we've done at face value. Sheezel, Duursma, Wardlaw and McKercher were all arguably in our best 10 or so players - which is nuts. We still have other players to bring in from those drafts as well.

If anything I though Duursma was better this week, with a touch less reward.

It was a consistent 4 QTR performance.

Jy was good in the first qtr and good in the last but went missing in between.

I felt Zane was hitting up all day, was always providing that outlet, 16 and 11 marks would attest to that.

He almost dragged in another 2 big marks, should have nailed those two shots and had CCJ come across and spoil him in the last in the pocket when he had the front position and about to take it on his chest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back