Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [Herald Sun] LDU has parked contract talks with the club & is expected to command offers of more than $1m a season

Remove this Banner Ad

You know this is his 7th season right? Will be 8 at the conclusion of next season, and you'd think nearly a decade is more than a reasonable timeframe to expect the club you got drafted to to go from the bottom back to contending again.
He has played 6.25 seasons and never had a full season playing the sport.

You are a bit of a while off ten years there.

Excellent post. Yes, it is up to the blokes who have the talent to lead the way, and what better reward would it be for LDU if he actually led the way, because then he could say, "I did it, I led these emerging young players on a journey with great reward".

He and others like him, if they are actually wanting out, should have a very good hard look at what Patrick Cripps has done at Carlton. He suffered through all the s**********, he led the way, now he is perhaps looking at a Premiership not too far away, with the bunch of mates he led on that journey.

He is actually the role model for people like LDU to follow.
This is what has worried me - he didn't do what Cripps did.
He looks to be distancing himself from leadership.
He is either telling team-mates not to vote him into the leadership group, or our group is so clueless that they don't recognise that LDU is the one that should be leading.

Add that he didn't go to the Brownlow last year and we're 0-6 with no win in sight - it's not looking good.

You need to look at some of the blokes who are the common denominator in our poor period of 2019 until now. McKay was one, TT was one and LDU is another. Zurhaar too. Simpkin and McDonald are the others. These are all infected. They are ruined.

The only one I'm yet to mention is Larkey. I hold grave concerns for him.
The problem with this all of the players except McDonald were looking really good in each of Shaw and Noble’s first years. They have had a go, but then for some reason the wheels fall off.

I include Jayden Stephenson in this group.

He is either telling team-mates not to vote him into the leadership group, or our group is so clueless that they don't recognise that LDU is the one that should be leading.

Or - and by far the more likely conclusion - he is not a leader, never was going to be a never will be. Either by his action or inaction.

Why create some sort of conspiracy?

Add that he didn't go to the Brownlow last year and we're 0-6 with no win in sight - it's not looking good.
i’d say they are too clueless to be voting in him to the leadership. look at who they voted in instead. possibly one of the dumbest football teams ever.

Sunday Footy God: 'Take that Roo Supporters, cooked up your worst nightmare'

Monday Footy God: 'Hmmm challenge accepted'

I need to vent. I'm no expert, feel free to ignore.

• Stoic leadership that will fly in the face of immeasurable challenge in the U30 bracket is a little scarce. If LDU is not the leader we all dreamt he would be that doesn't make him a lesser person.
  • Having said that, do we know for a fact he isn't our next captain? If he stays I mean. Because I'm ready to switch now.
  • I think our root cause issue and one that is of great concern here is that our player development sucks. We could get the top 3 draft picks for LDU with zero assurance that anything will change in the current environment. And this problem has been with us for a very long time, 10+ years easily. We've never fixed it and it doesn't receive half the attention it should (outside this board I mean).
  • We also have a dearth of mid twenties players.
  • Because of that I think we need to get him to stay. Put it this way - if we trade our first pick to get some mature bodies, would we take him (amongst others)? Answer is yes.

It shits me no end that KK Kornes has been banging on about rats deserting a sinking ship for 3+ years and with this story he finally gets validation. This is going to be to him what GC was to Wilson.

I can't leave without a positive. Well, two.

- at some point we will begin playing better footy. It's illogical if we don't. We're so bad and we have reached a a critical mass of talented youngsters. It's Clarko's first proper year etc etc. It sucks that this isn't the year and maybe next year will suck too but that's life. We at least have Nick, George & Harry to follow, Zane and Colby root for and we get to cross our fingers on Charlie which is feeling like an added bonus. I enjoy watching Curtis and Eddie. So we're s**t! Big deal. No one is dead, life sucks, we'll get through it.

- everyone is talking about the down vibe. These are effectively kids, it's bloody disappointing but also understandable. Think how amazing they are going to feel when a few wins start trickling through. It's a dynamic situation and all is not lost for them or us.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously I want LDU to stay so I'll say that first. In the case that he does leave, is it possible for us to use the restricted component of his free agency to set up a big trade this off-season? For example, we get a top 10 pick in return plus a best 22 (not Dyl Stephens fringe types) defender/forward from an opposition team?

LDU parking negotiation's is smart from his management, they'll field offers and North will have the final say unless Luke makes the first move and requests a trade...if he signs then he'll be first 1+mill player since Carey and a long deal presumably like Larkey's.

Saying LDU has checked out, please, every game l've seen him since he was draft, he rarely show's much emotion, even when he kicks a goal, he's almost embarrassed.

Don't care if we drafted Smillie or any top 5 midfielders in the draft, losing LDU on the back of TT leaves is a massive hole that you just can't cover up...24 and 9 games short of 100 games and we are crying out for more experience players??

Lol.

When I say burst player, I mean bursts from stoppages and uses a lot of petrol tickets offensively. He's clearly a 4q midfielder.

If Luke had Butters in with him, he'd rack up 40 possessions a game with 15 clearances and i50s.
He is the focal point in our midfield and teams are planning accordingly.

Go and have look at literally every game we have won or got close to winning. LDU has generally starred.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Or Tarryn Thomas.. no way the oppo would pay such a close checking game with LDU if Thomas was also in the centre. Thomas’ clearance from CB are as pure as it gets.

You know this is his 7th season right? Will be 8 at the conclusion of next season, and you'd think nearly a decade is more than a reasonable timeframe to expect the club you got drafted to to go from the bottom back to contending again.

Sorry, but that is such a defeatist attitude. Players his age, 24 + should be the driving factor in increasing our performance. It’s literally his job, and he gets paid a ******* lot of money to do it.

I have the same issue with Zurhaar apparently holding off contract to see if we improve…hey guess what *face, you’re the senior players and are responsible more than anyone else for how we go on game day.

They literally have the greatest coach of the modern era guiding them.

If they want to run away and take the easy road, then fine, just own it.

Fed up with this bullshit.

We just need to get smarter.

LDU's getting sat on every week because he's the only threatening midfielder we have at the moment.

People can say he should work through it - but that's easier said then done when we're breaking down all over the ground.

He badly needs a chop out.

More reason to shift Sheezel in there. I've been surprised how little Sheezel's been sat on but it makes sense because he's less damaging doing his work in the back half.

If we threw Sheezel on ball - opposition teams couldn't cover both of them.

If I was an opposition Coach - I wouldn't want both running through the midfield.

More reason to do it.

It could break the shackles.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that is such a defeatist attitude. Players his age, 24 + should be the driving factor in increasing our performance. It’s literally his job, and he gets paid a ******* lot of money to do it.

I have the same issue with Zurhaar apparently holding off contract to see if we improve…hey guess what *face, you’re the senior players and are responsible more than anyone else for how we go on game day.

They literally have the greatest coach of the modern era guiding them.

If they want to run away and take the easy road, then fine, just own it.

Fed up with this bullshit.
Whilst I agree...welcome to the era of free agency.

Clubs who don't blow their list to shreds will have an advantage.

If we (NMFC) thought we wouldn't have issues retaining players whilst firmly rooted to the bottom of the ladder and could rely on someone 'honoring' their contract money and tenure at the club then we are with the fairies.

We just need to get smarter.

LDU's getting sat on every week because he's the only threatening midfielder we have at the moment.

People can say he should work through it - but that's easier said then done where we're breaking down all over the ground.

He badly needs a chop out.

More reason to shift Sheezel in there. I've been surprised how little Sheezel's been sat on but it makes sense because he's less damaging doing his work in the back half.

If we threw Sheezel on ball - opposition teams couldn't cover both of them.

If I was an opposition Coach - I wouldn't want both running through the midfield.

More reason to do it.

It could break the shackles.
It's why losing TT hurts us so much. Now they only have to focus on LDU. Hopefully Sheez or Wardlaw come along and make clubs think twice about who they sit their tagger on.

There is zero point analysing LDU’s form this season. How can he be expected to play top shelf football in this current shlt show?
We know he is capable of A Grade football. We know this.
If he had Reid and T Thomas, and a half-decent Jy alongside him, I’m sure he’d be having a bigger impact.
It wouldn’t surprise me, as concerning as it would be, if his form drops off like Ben McKays did in his final year at the club.

The bottom line is, if we lose LDU, it might be time to hand back the keys and call it a day at Arden St. There’s no sugar-coating losing LDU.

And spare me the “if he doesn’t want to be at the club, see ya later” notion. Who the hell would seriously want to be at the club at the moment with the environment that has been created by those in charge?
The club needs to do something, or find a way, to make him want to stay.

Question: If Harley Reid was at Arden St, would LDU be more, or less likely, to stay? The collateral damage of beating the Suns in round 24 last year is immeasurable.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back