Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [Herald Sun] LDU has parked contract talks with the club & is expected to command offers of more than $1m a season

Remove this Banner Ad

I judge him harsher that most because I think if he can improve in 2 areas he has top 10 in the comp potential.

Start helping the team defensively, you can’t just work offensively like he does. Especially in our current set up.

Some times he just needs to grab the ball and take a tackle so we can reset. He taps at or fumbles the ball a little bit too much at the moment and it ends in turnover.

Start helping the team defensively, you can’t just work offensively like he does. Especially in our current set up.

I love him but it stuck out like the proverbial. Few times when we lost the contest he just slowed to a walk. I must say though, sometimes it worked out if we forced a turnover he was in a really dangerous spot.

He also had a heap of pressure acts which helps.

Last edited:
He had a team high 28 pressure acts. Does he man up well enough after we turn it over? Think that's a problem for most of the side - we are way too easy to move the ball against (and score against). Even in the match sim a month ago, the yellow team moved it way too easily against blue.

I judge him harsher that most because I think if he can improve in 2 areas he has top 10 in the comp potential.

Some times he just needs to grab the ball and take a tackle so we can reset. He taps at or fumbles the ball a little bit too much at the moment and it ends in turnover.
I agree on his defensive pressure somewhat, I thought he took steps in the last season or two to tighten that up. I would say there is a possibility with him as effectively the only senior player in there that the team is actually encouraging him to be as dangerous offensively as possible, just a thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thomas to flashy, too mercurial

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Bollocks. Thomas' defensive application last year after he came back was very very good, especially considering how s**t his tank was. Tackle numbers were consistently good but more to the point, he consistently expended energy chasing.

My favourite play of last year involved him busting his arse to chase after an essendon player on their half forward line and frantically gesturing at Corr to get back to the defensive goalsquare as he did so. It saved a goal.

He was exactly the player we needed in there, but he was too ******* stupid to keep his behaviour in check

Bollocks. Thomas' defensive application last year after he came back was very very good, especially considering how s**t his tank was. Tackle numbers were consistently good but more to the point, he consistently expended energy chasing.

My favourite play of last year involved him busting his arse to chase after an essendon player on their half forward line and frantically gesturing at Corr to get back to the defensive goalsquare as he did so. It saved a goal.

He was exactly the player we needed in there, but he was too ******* stupid to keep his behaviour in check

The last line null and voids everything before, which precisely was the point, we did not vet his character and only looked at his talent which means f all as everyone is talented at the afl. Worst vs best player is not a lot but when you add in the developments and growth then it's a different story.

He is currently the only centre square midfielder we have that can get the ball break a tackle or 2 and explode from the stoppage, and posters want him hauling arse defensively all game lol

Good showing first up, now please stay injury free.

Hauling arse =/ getting out of first gear to apply pressure.

Let's not get too tribal. If he has an AFL standard tank, he should be able to apply more intense pressure than what he did. That doesn't take away from his attacking game, it's just an observation many have made

The last line null and voids everything before, which precisely was the point, we did not vet his character and only looked at his talent which means f all as everyone is talented at the afl. Worst vs best player is not a lot but when you add in the developments and growth then it's a different story.
this is rubbish.

we knew there were issues.

however the entire club imploded between the time he was drafted until the time he was asked to leave and never come back.

Hauling arse =/ getting out of first gear to apply pressure.

Let's not get too tribal. If he has an AFL standard tank, he should be able to apply more intense pressure than what he did. That doesn't take away from his attacking game, it's just an observation many have made
His pressure act and tackle numbers show he was working hard defensively. We need the right mixture at the centre bounces to capitalise on his skillset - Wardlaw, Phillips, Greenwood, and Shiels.

Do we want to lose offensive output for defensive input? That's what makes LDU unique in our midfield rotations.

His pressure act and tackle numbers show he was working hard defensively. We need the right mixture at the centre bounces to capitalise on his skillset - Wardlaw, Phillips, Greenwood, and Shiels.

Do we want to lose offensive output for defensive input? That's what makes LDU unique in our midfield rotations.

Numbers show that, eye test didn't. Agree we need the right mix, but at the same time he could've gone harder. Obviously the midfield mix is still very much a work in progress

Remove this Banner Ad

Back