Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [Herald Sun] LDU has parked contract talks with the club & is expected to command offers of more than $1m a season

Remove this Banner Ad

For those wondering like I was - here’s a still capture (from the YouTube) of LDU’s reaction 0.8 seconds after the announcement. Make up your own minds. I’m as guilty as others of projection/finding the negatives on these types of things at times, but don’t think this one is a real worry!
Now you mention it the first time I saw LDUs reaction after Clarko's freckle comment it didn't exactly look like he was happy either, on a second look it was obvious he was trying not to piss himself laughing.

Last edited:

For those wondering like I was - here’s a still capture (from the YouTube) of LDU’s reaction 0.8 seconds after the announcement. Make up your own minds. I’m as guilty as others of projection/finding the negatives on these types of things at times, but don’t think this one is a real worry!
I think this was was what he was referring too - maybe he's been offered a deal, but not quite as big as Sheez's was? Probably reading into it too much though. I reckon he will re-sign, specially since Jy and Nick have also.

- 1710924950440.png

All this ‘coasting’ talk is laughable. We have won 24 out of last 106 AFL football matches. Davies Uniacke a major part of that. Never been in the leadership group which is telling especially in the Clarkson era. When will people wake up and realise he just ain’t that good. That’s not to say he won’t play an important part in our rise up the ladder, but will never be an A grader in my opinion. Have said it for years.
And anyone watching v gws would have seen fabulous Mids playing where every possession surgically cut us apart
LDU does not kick goals and does not make every possession count so think that is fair

And anyone watching v gws would have seen fabulous Mids playing where every possession surgically cut us apart
LDU does not kick goals and does not make every possession count so think that is fair
Doesn't kick goals? I'd say he was fully fit or close to it for 9 games last year. He kicked a goal in 6 of those 9, and kicked 2 in a further one. Ok so he's not a mid fwd hybrid, but that's the sort of effort that could be built upon in a better team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was huge all game.

30 touches, 9 clearances. Stood up through numerous tackles to handball the ball to an outlet.

He and Powell combined brilliantly.
I thought he was great in the first half but let us down in the 3rd when we needed our star mid to step up and settle things.

6 disp, 2 clangers, 0 tackles and poor defensive pressure

If he was playing unhampered (relatively) in the 2nd half its the samesame all or nothing mr blinkers. He needs to gel with this new midfield mix work some short hands and sheppards to get better quality exits. Not much point in all that tho if the fwds never work out how to be leading into space.

Ok I’m going to say it..

His offensive game is off the charts elite, his defensive game is garbage.

Brayshaw gave him a lesson in two way running in the second halff.
It's ******* harsh, but he's got best player in the competition ability...we need him to put the team on his back....he's ******* brilliant, but....

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Ok I’m going to say it..

His offensive game is off the charts elite, his defensive game is garbage.

Brayshaw gave him a lesson in two way running in the second halff.
It's an interesting one, this. The immediate logical conclusion is that we need to station the right blokes around him to offset his lack of defence, but Clarko might be doing the same thing he did in 2005/6; throwing the team to the wolves for long term gain.

Powell, LDU and Wardlaw is a nice offensive combination, but poor George is the only one of the three with an AFL standard defensive drive.
Maybe the coaches are trusting that if the midfield attack gets good enough, we'll be able to rely on ourselves to outscore the opposition? There's gotta be some endgame at play here you'd think. Cos if there isn't, why the * didn't Jy get bulk midfield minutes today to fortify our pressure?

If they hand out Brownlows for “2 Quarter” performers … this dudes already won 3 by now.

His little spinning pirouettes are nice & effective at getting that ball on the outside … but defensively is poor and rarely kicks any goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back