Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [Herald Sun] LDU has parked contract talks with the club & is expected to command offers of more than $1m a season

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, as I’ve said ad nauseam- he isn’t a leaders backside! Never been in the leadership group and never will be! Complete fraud
they need to stop treating him like one at selection and when they're organising the centre bounce attendances then. if he's never going to be that player we need to start running with simpkin, greenwood or shiels in there again.

Lol * me dead there are some s**t takes in here...

27 under pressure, fumbly, scragged possessions under a hard tag from Hewitt and Cerra, especially in the first half.

Not his best day out, but sinking the boots into one of the only players on our list that can tear a game a part is laughable.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was nowhere near our worst, but we needed him to do a better job against a very good midfield.
I think he is carrying something. Doesn’t have the usual acceleration at the moment

Would he be better as 1st posession receiver rather than trying to get 1st posession at ball up's ?
Yep, but the only bloke we have to get clean possession 1st and dish it out got 3 kicks in the ressies, apparently...

Kennedy was instructed to play tight at stoppages and then play offensive to burn him the other way to expose his defensive work (not just his running).

Still got 27 but couldn't clear the ball. That's the blueprint for nullifying him and our midfield. Your move next Luke.

Accumulation is still a positive but our stoppage structure was fkd.

I love him but * me get aggressive campaigner

If you want to get brushed off and just play a bystander then * off to st kilda already

We got somked internally and I’m happy to blame LDU more than George et al

He’ll never be in that elite category until he hardens up.

He doesn’t need to be Wardlaw, but he does need to lay a tackle, take a tackle, lay a block, take a hit grab the ball instead of just tapping it along and hoping he can run on to it.

Not too long ago an off day for LDU was -20 disp, so I'm ok with 27 today.

Just finished the replay and honestly, saw a least 3 no brainer holding frees not paid that are paid week in week out to certain other mids.

Thought he persisted through the close attention pretty well and if the umps had paid what they should have a little earlier, Hewitt el al's brazen holding would've been eased back.

He was heavily targeted but he'll have to get used to that.

With TT out of the picture and our midfield being the youngest of the lot, there are going to be times he'll have to really dig. Today was a lesson and he still played ok. In saying that, to be a top 5 mid, he'll have to learn how to overcome the defensive negation and go for it. It'll happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too long ago an off day for LDU was -20 disp, so I'm ok with 27 today.

Just finished the replay and honestly, saw a least 3 no brainer holding frees not paid that are paid week in week out to certain other mids.

Thought he persisted through the close attention pretty well and if the umps had paid what they should have a little earlier, Hewitt el al's brazen holding would've been eased back.
He should not expect any favours from the umps.

As our best player, mid and the leader of the mids, he should be expecting a close tag. He has the talent and natural ability to rise above any tag.

He showed that he can’t do that yet.

The final disposal count flattered his game. He accumulated most of his possessions in the second half when the game was over. Hopefully he'll treat it as a valuable lesson and learn from it.
No, he accumulated most of his possessions when the hard tag was dropped after half time.

Before that, he was straight up mugged.

Will be better for the run, but we need an in and under player in there getting 1st possession. That's when LDU thrives.

Has he torn up any game?

Like when I think of torn up a game I’m thinking a Carey or GAJ or Danger who can win a game of his own foot in a quarter?

A long time ago in after a Pies loss, Boomer was on radio talking about “when are these next level players going to take the next step?”

There’s undeniable potential there to tear games apart but sheesh getting to the point of “when”

What it takes to overcome a hard tag.

1. Communication - Encourage teammates to communicate with LDU to help create space

2. Change Positions on the Field - This is a coaches call but I suspect Clarko left LDU in there so he can experience and grow as a player when the hard tag comes

3. Run of the Ball - Constant movement and run hard off the ball. This requires a large tank….which LDU lacks.

4. Use Screens and Blocks - Use teammates to set screens and blocks to shake of the marker

5. Double Teaming - Coordinate with a teammate to double team the tagger and force Carlton to adjust their defensive structure

Overall, overcoming a tag overwhelmingly comes down to teamwork and adaptability.

LDU and our midfielders will learn from this…

No, he accumulated most of his possessions when the hard tag was dropped after half time.

Before that, he was straight up mugged.

Will be better for the run, but we need an in and under player in there getting 1st possession. That's when LDU thrives.

Correct.

He worked in to the game and had a very good third quarter, when the margin was 22 points after Powell kicked his goal.

The game was hardly over.

What I think he really needs, aside from some help on field, is to find some aggression. I don’t think he despises losing enough. Whether that’s because we’ve been pumped for years and he’s just not up for it anymore, or he doesn’t possess the trait, I’m not sure. Very Wells-like.

Last edited:
Lol * me dead there are some s**t takes in here...

27 under pressure, fumbly, scragged possessions under a hard tag from Hewitt and Cerra, especially in the first half.

Not his best day out, but sinking the boots into one of the only players on our list that can tear a game a part is laughable.

I'm not saying he was terrible, if anything it's that he's being misused. I do think he needs to chase and apply more pressure but they've stitched him up a bit by making him big dog #1 in there when it seems like he's not physically ready.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back