A Crows Marquee Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
that time of year, right, when we bitch and moan about Collingwood and Essendon and Anzac Day.

As an aside, if I were Port, I would lobby hard for them to have the Friday game every Anzac round. Would be an honour to open up the round and I'm happy for them to do the Anzac home game as they've done some good work with old diggers.

But on to us, we need something but I think we need to think outside the box on this one.

I don't want us to have the night Good Friday game which seems like it will happen soon. I'd rather our marquee game be a bit more than that.

I like the idea of Adelaide v West Coast closing out the season. Vic's don't mind, they don't want any of their clubs traveling to Perth in round 22.

Tactically for us, it's good to know where we stand.

With the pre finals bye, I don't think travel is an issue.

Any other ideas?

Unfortunately showdowns have been pushed on us as a marquee game.

We won't get squat unless we do something gimmicky like go to China

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Would never happen but would love it if there wasn't always two showdowns a year.

Let's go to the moon, first AFL game not on earth. By my calculations, Tex should be able to kick a Sherrin about 3Kms on the moon.
Deliberate...

It's not just us that need to push for marquee games, it is all of the Non-Vic teams. Carlton/Richmond season opener, Collingwood/Essendon Anzac Day, North/Western Bulldogs Good Friday, Essendon/Richmond dream time, Geelong/Hawthorn Easter Monday. Probably missing a couple.

Collingwood / Melbourne queens bday??

Dogs/giants Prime Ministers Cup.... err

that time of year, right, when we bitch and moan about Collingwood and Essendon and Anzac Day.

As an aside, if I were Port, I would lobby hard for them to have the Friday game every Anzac round. Would be an honour to open up the round and I'm happy for them to do the Anzac home game as they've done some good work with old diggers.

But on to us, we need something but I think we need to think outside the box on this one.

I don't want us to have the night Good Friday game which seems like it will happen soon. I'd rather our marquee game be a bit more than that.

I like the idea of Adelaide v West Coast closing out the season. Vic's don't mind, they don't want any of their clubs traveling to Perth in round 22.

Tactically for us, it's good to know where we stand.

With the pre finals bye, I don't think travel is an issue.

Any other ideas?

Have considered the season closer against WC before but don't think it would happen for a few reasons. Adelaide won't want to commit to playing them at Subi in the final round every two years, that's pretty brutal. Having the last game also means the shortest recovery time before finals of any team. It will also cause issues with the fixture, we would either need to play them twice or not play them at all until the final round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have considered the season closer against WC before but don't think it would happen for a few reasons. Adelaide won't want to commit to playing them at Subi in the final round every two years, that's pretty brutal. Having the last game also means the shortest recovery time before finals of any team. It will also cause issues with the fixture, we would either need to play them twice or not play them at all until the final round.

Won't be playing Subiaco for much longer.

We could play against the magpies and say "the magpies were a big part of the SANFL's history, but since that club no longer exists, the next closest thing is for us to play against collingwood."

1. I'm ******* sick of playing the last round with the longest away trip. Send the bloody vic teams over for once.

2. Season closer isn't really a marquee game... so you mean the Friday or the Sunday twilight? The latter which is reserved for non finalists and all other teams have began looking towards their teams finals matchups.

3. How many people will turn up when both teams are out of the 8 and the game means nothing?

theres not a lot of days left unless we invent something. Maybe the Friday night game of the first week of the bye?

Whatever it is I wouldn't mind hosting GWS as our opponent.

But honestly, we won't be getting anything. We sell out our stadium regardless why would the AFL give us a blockbuster when we get over 40,000 to a game vs St Kilda on a Sunday afternoon?

It's not just us that need to push for marquee games, it is all of the Non-Vic teams. Carlton/Richmond season opener, Collingwood/Essendon Anzac Day, North/Western Bulldogs Good Friday, Essendon/Richmond dream time, Geelong/Hawthorn Easter Monday. Probably missing a couple.
At some point people will just accept that it's still the VFL. The AFL just bought a stadium for Victorian clubs.
Eventually the non Victorian clubs will form a block and push for their own agenda.

Let's go to the moon, first AFL game not on earth. By my calculations, Tex should be able to kick a Sherrin about 3Kms on the moon.

Ummm Cleveland Browns Stadium is available...certainly the Browns don't use it. :)

In a fair competition we should only play in Perth in rd 23 a maximum of once every 17 years.
If teams are having 2 weeks off after Round 23 there is no reason why we should be stuck with the Perth trip by default.

A bit sick of all the media talk about the ANZAC day game, it's the Beats by Dre of football matches. Gets treated like its a superior match to every other game when it's just 2 bottom 8 sides playing each other.

Marquee games are just another corrupt and unbalanced part of the AFL. Prime time slots should not be permanently reserved for certain clubs, especially not 2 of the richest clubs. ANZAC day game would be so much better if it was the 2 highest finishing Vic clubs, it could be a sort of VFL grandfinal where teams have to earn the right to play on a special day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back