A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not saved just yet, we are still in limbo for a bit but it's a positive step

Nix give nothing to the Australian game.

BUT - there are bigger issues to solve before that gets looked at.

Will see what happens when FIFA arrive on December 4

Don't they bring through the most NPL players out of all A-League clubs? I'd say that's doing more for the game then some of the other bludges in the league (Newcastle spring to mind).

To be fair crowds and even ratings are horrendous for all clubs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sure. But Wellington have constantly provided nothing in terms of attendance and performances in the 10 years they've been around. I'm just scratching my head into what advantages they bring to the league that another Australian club can't.

Sure. But Wellington have constantly provided nothing in terms of attendance and performances in the 10 years they've been around. I'm just scratching my head into what advantages they bring to the league that another Australian club can't.
But they arent taking away from the league either. Their supporter base shouldnt be punished for that.

mmmmm.. I like the Nix but really what do they bring to the league? Crowds are poor, memberships are the worst in the league and performances have been average at best.
Memberships are the best they've been, hitting the 5000 mark, which is only a few thousand less than the Roar, if I recall correctly. Not bad for a country that don't really do memberships.

The percentage of Welly's population that attends matches would still be higher than a few teams in the league, our away support is always better than the amount of fans that come over to NZ to watch their teams play and bar a couple of shitty performances (Jets, Central Coast, 2nd half against Brisbane) we match the league with our best, especially against Sydney and City.

We're also a club that gives Aussie stars a second chance. Nathan Burns and Dario Vidosic.
Don't they bring through the most NPL players out of all A-League clubs? I'd say that's doing more for the game then some of the other bludges in the league (Newcastle spring to mind).
Exactly right. Tratt, Parkhouse, Lowry and Italiano are all people who spring to mind within the past couple of seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair crowds and even ratings are horrendous for all clubs

Our crowds have been fine. We have just hit 8k members and our 3 home games have all had over 10k attendance.

Great article by Lynchy on how the game should be taken forward few good points. I 100% agree with the setting up of the A-League hq away from The Sydney bubble once it’s independent.

Blueprint for reform of game must start with independent A-League with HQ anywhere but Sydney

December 1 2017 - 5:00PM
Sport

Those hoping the vote at Thursday's FFA annual general meeting will bring an end to the game's civil war should not get too carried away. At least not yet.

Rather than see it as the beginning of the end, the best way to look at it might be to regard it as the end of the beginning.

1512114038794.jpg

FFA chairman Steven Lowy has fought tooth and nail against greater autonomy for A-League clubs. Photo: Christopher Pearce
It appears there is no way that defeated FFA chairman Steven Lowy and the insurgents from the professional game (the A-League clubs, the PFA and their supporters from the Victorian and NSW state federations) could work together in future given the anger and emotion the campaign over reform of the FFA congress produced.

But plenty of water remains to wash under this particular bridge and it will intriguing to see if FIFA, who are expected to step in, will opt for a normalising committee or some other hybrid measure of control.

It would be surprising if Lowy, who appeared after the meeting to be a wounded figure lashing out at those who had combined to sink his ambitions to lead the game forward, has given up just yet.

All concerned can be expected to be lobbying FIFA fiercely over the next few days before it gets round to making a determination on the Australian situation, probably next week.

The most likely outcome is that a normalisation committee will be put in place, and to all intents and purposes that will mean business as usual: the A-League will continue to function and FFA CEO David Gallop and his team will continue to do their jobs.

Should Lowy mount legal action against that, as has been suggested, expect fireworks.

But if this is ultimately to be a clean break from the Lowy dynasty, which has controlled the game for some 14 years, then there is a chance to make some significant changes to the way the sport is run in Australia.

In the short-term future some serious challenges have to be tackled and some big questions asked, and answered.

In my view, this is what the new rulers of the game – whoever that turns out to be – need to look at:

1) The creation of an independent body to run the A-League with its headquarters anywhere but Sydney – preferably Melbourne.

2) Ways to help FFA concentrate on supervising the grassroots, international teams and international relations.

3) Expansion of the A-League. The process should begin as soon as possible, with a view to first new clubs in 2019-20, sooner if that were realistically possible.

4) The establishment of a national second division.

5) Election of new FFA board, appointment of new chairman.

6) Expansion of the FFA congress to fully reflect all interests in the game.

7) Recruitment of a new Socceroos coach.

8) Ways to engage with a sizeable group of "old soccer" fans alienated from the sport by the initial A-League marketing under Frank Lowy and who have yet to fully reconnect with the game.

The chief issue is that of the A-League. That it should be independent of the control of the FFA is a view taken by everyone in the professional game – bar, it would seem, the FFA board.

The Crawford report of 2003 – the federal government-sponsored study into the state of soccer, which spawned the end of the old Soccer Australia, the creation of the FFA and the inception of the A-League – always envisaged a separation of "church and state", with the A-League being run autonomously but retaining a connection to the game's governing body.

Frank Lowy always argued the FFA could deal with sponsors and fund the game better if it controlled the A-League, channelling finance through dividends to the clubs while using revenues generated for the good of the whole game.

But that wasn't what Crawford recommended. Nor was it the recommendation of the Smith report into the governance and direction of the game conducted on behalf of the Australian Sports Commission in 2011.

That, too, was ignored by Frank Lowy, and Steven has also fought tooth and nail against greater autonomy for the clubs. He has made the same argument that while they might be the biggest rainmakers for the game, the money they generate should underpin all other areas of the sport.

Had either of the FFA chairmen been prepared to negotiate or compromise on that single issue, the current chain of events may never have arisen.

The best way to solve this impasse would be to create a new independent body to run the A-League, perhaps giving the FFA a golden share, one that allows them to have a key say in the determination of policy in certain specified circumstances. The governing body could also be given an allocated revenue stream by way of a dividend from the monies generated by the league.

This new body should break the Sydney nexus between the league, the FFA and the league's broadcast partner, and should be based in another capital city: Melbourne would be the most obvious location.

From this, expansion would need to follow. It's probably too late to get two new clubs in next season, but that should be the aim for 2019-20.

The league should then be expanded by one or two more teams a season until it contains 16 clubs.

The fairest sporting way to do that would be to establish a national second division, sooner rather than later, based on geographical needs and sound financial principals, made up of new franchises or existing clubs who meet the criteria in sporting, social and business terms.

The winner of that second division could be promoted to the top tier, thus increasing the numbers in the A-League over a further four-year period.

Then would come the time to look at relegation as part of the sporting package.

Virtually every other country in the world has it (except for the United States' Major League Soccer, although there is great pressure to bring it in there as well) and it would bring Australia into line with global soccer practice as well as give the local game something no other sport in this country has: jeopardy and a punishment for failure.

http://amp.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...h-hq-anywhere-but-sydney-20171201-gzx0dy.html

Adelaide United reportedly set to meet to discuss it.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes. At 38 I don't think there will be many clubs lining up to give him the game time he wants.

A year ago, before all the governance issues, I would've said that the FFA would've talked someone into it with the Socceroos/World Cup in mind.

I guess an A-League club is still his best bet at his age though, especially considering he was playing for not much this season anyway.

It is funny how it all panned out though - 18 months ago Cahill was trying to argue that the appeal wasn't the money, it was the opportunity to go into coaching with the CFG after this season.

I saw a rumour (whether it is credible is another matter) that said there are 4 overseas clubs chasing him and he could join Poppa in Turkey on a short contract.
His o/s days are surely over. Wouldn't get the game time he needs

FIFA and AFC to work with FFA on Congress review

Football Federation Australia (FFA) will establish a Congress Review Working Group including all relevant Australia stakeholders with direct support from FIFA and the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).

Officials from FIFA and the AFC will travel to Australia in the New Year to work with FFA and other stakeholders to agree terms of reference for the group including objectives, composition, mandate and timeline.

FIFA’s Members Association Committee made the decision to support the establishment of the working group at its recent meeting in Zurich where FFA’s efforts to expand its representative Congress were discussed. A resolution to increase representation for the professional game and for women narrowly failed to reach the 75 percent support of Congress members at FFA’s Annual General Meeting on November 30.

Football Federation Australia Chairman Steven Lowy welcomed FIFA’s decision and thanked the Members Association Committee for its support of FFA’s recommendation that a working group be established with Australian stakeholders, FIFA and AFC.

“FIFA’S ruling gives all of us a chance to take a fresh look at how the Congress can best represent the Australian football community, with the direct involvement of FIFA and AFC officials in that process,” he said.

“In a wider sense, this process will enable all Australian stakeholders to work together on a shared vision for our game at every level.

“In the meantime, FFA will be working with the clubs to promote our Summer of Football, engage with stakeholders on a new league operating model and expansion of the Hyundai A-League as soon as possible, continue its work with Federal and State governments on Australia’s bid for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup, appoint a new Head Coach for the Caltex Socceroos and continue our preparations for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.”

https://www.ffa.com.au/news/fifa-and-afc-work-ffa-congress-review

Even FIFA don't have any balls! not surprised through. lets just hope everyone involved lays it all out on the table and a resolution can be agreed on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back