A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't sure where to ask this, this thread seemed as good as any.

I've got a very light grasp on what the whole issue with the FFA is about, however I would be very grateful for a quick explanation from someone more in the know

Cheers ladies and gents

Wasn't sure where to ask this, this thread seemed as good as any.

I've got a very light grasp on what the whole issue with the FFA is about, however I would be very grateful for a quick explanation from someone more in the know

Cheers ladies and gents

It basically comes down to the clubs wanting more power and say in the decisions that are made whereas the FFA don't want to give it to them. Then there are other issues included such as a 2nd division/promotion and relegation, expansion etc. That is my take at least.

It basically comes down to the clubs wanting more power and say in the decisions that are made whereas the FFA don't want to give it to them. Then there are other issues included such as a 2nd division/promotion and relegation, expansion etc. That is my take at least.

Ah fair enough, thanks boss
That's pretty much what I thought it was but had a feeling it went a lot deeper than that.
Hopefully something is resolved for the positive soon

The quality of Refs continues to disgrace the league, international players and coaches are distraught with how bad they are.

How are we as a leauge supposed to attract better players from overseas to help bring our youth up to international standard when they are just gonna get hacked down with out any cards shown or soft cards for soft decisions?
They are completely inept!

Reckon the season will be thrown wide open if Arnold takes the Roos job. Don't forget they have ACL commitments, Victory too, and losing their manager in February will hurt a lot.

Watch the vision.
That flog was falling over before any contact was made.
No blood, no swelling, no concussion test done. Not even a band aid required.

Rolled around on the ground like a 2 year old having a tantrum.

Just watching because the crickets over.

Cricket players, AFL players, Rugby players they have courage to participate in their sport.

Soccer players have no courage. Not one soccer player would survive in any of those sports.

Are you denying that soccer players dive?

For someone who is calling football players soft you are having a good old sook yourself.

And you are kidding if you think league, rugby and Aussie rules players dont do the same.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

*****LEGO EATING BOGAN RHETORIC*****
Of course they dive, I didn't just start watching the sport today like you seemingly did. Players have also dived in other sports, albeit not as often, but that's because it's a completely different sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
For someone who is calling football players soft you are having a good old sook yourself.

And you are kidding if you think league, rugby and Aussie rules players dont do the same.

You are a Giants supporter.
So, by definition, you are delusional.....

You are a Giants supporter.
So, by definition, you are delusional.....

1bc4e2ba8f15a27ad555b3dfa96f2f1c.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Aleague crowds are at their lowest since the 2011/12 season.
Officials are saying expansion needed sooner than later however.

Promotion is whats needed(but also more sides).

That's a way of killing off soccer teams for good, at the moment. We need more interest from the expansion. But it all starts from up top. FFA need to piss off.

I just don't think there's enough money and/or support for a B League. People tend to overrate the levels or participation of the game in this country. "The sleeping giant" is awake, it's just lazy.

But at the same time something needs to be done because the league is very stale now.

Kids also don't have the Kewell, Viduka, 30yo Cahill etc playing at very high levels now to aspire to.

Strong statement from the Mariners, scathing of the FFA!

National Arbitration Tribunal Decides in Favour of Football Federation Australia

On Behalf of all Hyundai A-League clubs, the Central Coast Mariners can today advise that the National Arbitration Tribunal have ruled in favour of Football Federation Australia, regarding their players being released for the under 23 representative team to take part in the AFC U-23 Championship 2018.

In short, this means that Football Federation Australia can select players for tournaments that sit outside official FIFA international windows, against the will of the players and clubs.
On 19 December 2017, the Hyundai A-League clubs lodged a National Arbitration Tribunal Application, calling on Football Federation Australia to adhere by FIFA regulations which state: it is not compulsory for clubs to release players for matches scheduled on dates not listed in the coordinated international match calendar.

The Hyundai A-League clubs accept the decision handed down by the National Arbitration Tribunal which has allowed Football Federation Australia to act against FIFA statutes and practices that are applied globally.

All 10 Hyundai A-League Clubs will now consider seeking compensation from Football Federation Australia for the removal of their players outside of a FIFA international window.

The Mariners firmly stand by the belief: participation in the AFC U-23 Championship should be at the discretion of the club, in the best interest of the individual. For some players, this will mean remaining at their clubs, to showcase their skills alongside the very best in the Hyundai A-League.

Central Coast Mariners Owner, Mike Charlesworth thanked the Hyundai A-League club owners and provided his thoughts on today’s ruling.

“The Central Coast Mariners would like to take this opportunity to thank the nine other Hyundai A-League Clubs and their owners for working collaboratively to fight to ensure Football Federation Australia adhere to FIFA statues and practices that are applied globally,” Charlesworth said

“Ultimately, this is another body blow to the A-League and its fans, we’ll roll with the punches but someone has to be made accountable for the dwindling attendance and TV broadcast figures. Steven Lowy came to power saying that the A-league would become the FFA’s priority – the engine room for football in Australia. Quite clearly his priorities are elsewhere and that’s why a complete overhaul and structural changes in Australia are desperately required.

“We are passionate that a stronger A-League will result in stronger national teams, therefore anything that weakens the A-League must be challenged rigorously. The A-League should not play second fiddle to an under 23’s competition in China.

“The current structure discourages youth player development by clubs. It is clear that some A-League clubs are already signing experienced journeyman to avoid losing players at times that are outside of sanctioned FIFA windows.

“Surely, we, as A-League clubs, should be encouraged to sign the next crop of young up and coming Australian stars - not punish the clubs who are doing the right thing and developing young Australian players.

“It is up to the clubs, national youth teams and at times the PFA to work together with each individual player to ensure their best interests in their own development are managed to give them the best chance to be the best players they possibly can be.

“In some instances, you will find the clubs strongly encouraging players to attend camps and competitions outside of FIFA windows, but when the best thing for the player is to play as many games as they can against the very best in the A-League the process must allow them to do so.

“In terms of metrics, the game is at an all-time low. Rather than trying to make sure that everything possible is being done to get the A-League back on track the reality is that the FFA are attempting to pull 15 players from the A-League at the most crucial time of the season.

“The Mariners have produced the spine of the current Socceroos team but after this ruling, we will have to reconsider our mantra of giving youth a chance. It may no longer be commercially viable to invest in youth and lose the best young players without any compensation.

“The 10 Hyundai A-League clubs will now hold discussions and assess all other avenues in seeking compensation from Football Federation Australia for the removal of their players outside of a FIFA international window,” Charlesworth said.

https://www.ccmariners.com.au/news/...-decides-favour-football-federation-australia

This ******* league :rolleyes:

I only just noticed watching the BBL that the game down in Geelong is on Wednesday - 3 days before the Victory play the Mariners down there.

It's bad enough that the FFA don't lift a finger to stop pitch disasters like those that we regular see in Brisbane and Sydney... but to have Kardinia Park's only 2 big summer sporting events within 4 days of each other, it's almost like the FFA are seeking out opportunities to * the standard of games.

Yes, I know that the A-League fixture comes out before the BBL. But 1) you should have a better contract in place that ensures you don't have a friggen cricket pitch in the middle of the field, and 2) you should have the balls to tell Kardinia Park to * off and move the game back to Melbourne if we - football as a whole - are going to be screwed over like that.

Further to that whinge from last night ^

The Saturday forecast has been revised up to 41 degrees. Given it's a 5.30 game, and 5-6 is usually the hottest part of the day in Melbourne/Victoria, there's every chance this game is going to be postponed.

But with the temperature set to plummet on Sunday, it's tough to know what's a better (selfish) option. While it's a bit late this year, the Geelong game is deliberately scheduled to coincide with holiday crowds down the surf coast, so Sunday is probably the easier option. It might also be better considering the ACL makes it tough to reschedule games.

But from the selfish perspective - if they don't just postpone it til Sunday, I don't see the game being held in Geelong, and I'm always a fan of seeing Victory games at Swan St!

City are playing at AAMI Park sat night

Really? I didn't even realise they were playing in Geelong & Melbourne back to back. That's strange... especially at this time of year when 40 degree+ days are a possibility. At 41 degrees, there's a chance they'd both have to be postponed.

When I wrote about the Victory game being rescheduled, I didn't mean for Saturday night. If the Geelong game is postponed, and if they don't just reschedule it for Sunday, I meant that it would likely be rescheduled at AAMI Park on a Tuesday or Wednesday night in a few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back