Scandal A league endorsed rort

Remove this Banner Ad

The scenario makes absolutely no sense to this rational observer.

Of course it does.

It might not be fair, but it is rational.

FWIW Carlton are the 'B' side in each of those Friday night matches.

I must admit I'm not a fan.
As an AFL member, its one of those timeslots ill generally avoid unless Essendon is playing.

The 4:40 game isn't bad for me, but i work from home mondays, so the late finish doesn't have me scrambling to get home and ready for work the next day.
Its not a bad way to finish your weekend off.

Anything earlier and your entire sunday becomes about the game. Bleh.
?? Isn't that the same thing with Saturday afternoon games?

If you have a 3:20 game on Sunday (which appear to be the Dees main slot) surely you have plenty of time to do stuff in the morning (kid sports, shopping, gardening, work, leisurely breakfast ....whatever floats your boat) then head into the footy in the arvo.

Not sure how the entire day becomes about the game, unless you want it to be....same as a Saturday arvo game.

If it is a 3:20 game, home by 7 for majority of people, so surely not too late for kids to then get settled for bed n school the next day.

I dont know why people are getting upset with the AFL in regards to Friday night footy.

Everyone knows Channel 7 dictate to the AFL what games are played on Friday night. They want teams that will draw a national audience or more importantly a Melb/Syd audience. This just doesn't happen for footy either.

Its pretty poor from Melbourne's POV as they are MCG co-tenants but perhaps Channel 7 don't see them as having a big TV supporter base, this is the same reason the QLD teams and GWS dont get Friday night either. Sydney are lucky they have Buddy otherwise they would be in the same boat.

The main problem we have in WA is Channel 7 know they can put Rich vs Coll on a Friday night and people in Perth will still watch the game. Unfortunately Melbourne based fans will only watch Melbourne based clubs.
The other thing is the AFL also know whatever timeslot they put the WA teams on at the supporters will still rock up. Even if they don't the club has still sold a seat as most fans are season ticket holders.

I dont know why people are getting upset with the AFL in regards to Friday night footy.

Everyone knows Channel 7 dictate to the AFL what games are played on Friday night. They want teams that will draw a national audience or more importantly a Melb/Syd audience. This just doesn't happen for footy either.

Its pretty poor from Melbourne's POV as they are MCG co-tenants but perhaps Channel 7 don't see them as having a big TV supporter base, this is the same reason the QLD teams and GWS dont get Friday night either. Sydney are lucky they have Buddy otherwise they would be in the same boat.

The main problem we have in WA is Channel 7 know they can put Rich vs Coll on a Friday night and people in Perth will still watch the game. Unfortunately Melbourne based fans will only watch Melbourne based clubs.
The other thing is the AFL also know whatever timeslot they put the WA teams on at the supporters will still rock up. Even if they don't the club has still sold a seat as most fans are season ticket holders.
You'd think a passionate supporter base would be rewarded from time to time, but I suppose not. Let's do everything we can to appease the fairweather vic supporters.

What is wrong with Sunday arvo games?

Collingwood have our traditional two 'home' games at Etihad on Sat night, would almost rather we did a Melbourne and sold them.

If we did that perhaps I too could then sook that the fixture stuffs the fans.
Sunday 3:20 means people don't get home until 7pm at the very earliest. Given kids will generally have school on the Monday it means that families second-guess whether they'll go to that game. We've copped 5 of them.

You'd think a passionate supporter base would be rewarded from time to time, but I suppose not. Let's do everything we can to appease the fairweather vic supporters.

Unfortunately loyalty is worth nothing these days and it's not just the AFL either. Have a look at the schedule the Perth Scorchers cop and they are arguably the biggest as well as definitely the best franchise in the BBL comp.

The only way you get what you want is by drastic action.
Perhaps if West Australians started boycotting Friday night footy on TV you might see a change.
Like the GST though I wont be holding my breath.

Ok so with the Perth Stadium

I dont think the Train station is going to be 100% ready to handle friday nights, Plus that Bridge isnt near completion

Also the fact WCE do well with sunday twilight turn outs, The networks loving that timeslot and it being friendly compared to Sunday night AFL games,

PLUS the fact the AFL/Stadium negotiations went really sour, with the Stadium refusing to let the AFL share in other events takings if AFL games didn't make certain revenue

All lead to, Sundays every week.

Carlton finished third from the bottom in the season that's just finished. I've no wish to kick a club when it's down, and indications are that this may be another tough season for the Blues, but how on Earth do they deserve four Friday night fixtures? Collingwood and the Bulldogs have similarly been awarded extra Friday games, my club finished ninth, missing out on finals by less than one goal, and we have a single Friday night game for the year. The scenario makes absolutely no sense to this rational observer.

Probably because your club also gets 15-20k people showing up to games at the MCG.

Makes for great TV

Collingwood has the ANZAC Day and QB games, and received 8 night games despite finishing 13th.

Complete crap. "Perform and you get rewarded" clearly unless you are Melbourne, best season in ten ******* years and we are back to a 2013 fixture.

So you are a Dees supporter and you are complaining about Collingwood being part of the Queens Birthday game? Are you also going to complain about being apart of the ANZAC eve game? Lucky you aren’t part of the Dees financial department.

You do realise the Queens Birthday game is a Melbourne home game and it’s the cash cow your club has relied on for the last decade to keep afloat? Why don’t you go play Freo on Queens Birthday and see how many people show up.

Collingwood has the ANZAC Day and QB games, and received 8 night games despite finishing 13th.

Complete crap. "Perform and you get rewarded" clearly unless you are Melbourne, best season in ten ******* years and we are back to a 2013 fixture.

Huh?

You didn't make finals. Matter of fact, the way your season ended can comfortably be called a choke.

And as for bitching about the Pies, they are quite literally the only real reason you currently get a look-in at a marquee timeslot.

And like it or not, the Pies put arses on seats and eyes on TV - as long as that is true, they are always going to be more likely to get favourable slots.

Probably because your club also gets 15-20k people showing up to games at the MCG.

Makes for great TV

Bullshit, you pulled that number out of your arse. We had the 8th highest average home attendance last year (35,694 per game). Considering we played two "home games" in Darwin and Alice Springs, another 4 against interstate teams (Swans, Port, Freo and Brisbane) and another against North who are the lowest crowd-pulling Victorian team, I'd say that we get far more people than 15-20k showing up to games at the MCG, wouldn't you?

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2017&t=R&h=H&s=T

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you are a Dees supporter and you are complaining about Collingwood being part of the Queens Birthday game? Are you also going to complain about being apart of the ANZAC eve game? Lucky you aren’t part of the Dees financial department.

You do realise the Queens Birthday game is a Melbourne home game and it’s the cash cow your club has relied on for the last decade to keep afloat? Why don’t you go play Freo on Queens Birthday and see how many people show up.
I'm not complaining about Collingwood's involvement in QB at all. What I'm pissed off about is the AFL trying to claim that Melbourne can't be involved in Friday night footy because it's too hard due to ANZAC Eve and QB, when Collingwood has almost exactly the same requirements and is involved in two more Friday night games.

If the league is going to lie, at least do it convincingly.

Bullshit, you pulled that number out of your arse. We had the 8th highest average home attendance last year (35,694 per game). Considering we played two "home games" in Darwin and Alice Springs, another 4 against interstate teams (Swans, Port, Freo and Brisbane) and another against North who are the lowest crowd-pulling Victorian team, I'd say that we get far more people than 15-20k showing up to games at the MCG, wouldn't you?

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2017&t=R&h=H&s=T

Far more? You can thank Collingwood for inflating that figure. When you play interstate teams you get in the 20,000’s. If you want I can go back and look at 2014-2016 and show you those 15-20k games.

That’s why you sell home games to save yourself the embarrassment of 15-20k showing up to the MCG. The 8000 that show up in the NT to watch you play Port is about the same number you’d get at the MCG.

By Melbourne standards your 2017 was amazing, which for every other team is a disappointing season. You didn’t make finals yet you expect to be celebrated as a stand out team worthy of being a headline team.

I'm not complaining about Collingwood's involvement in QB at all. What I'm pissed off about is the AFL trying to claim that Melbourne can't be involved in Friday night footy because it's too hard due to ANZAC Eve and QB, when Collingwood has almost exactly the same requirements and is involved in two more Friday night games.

If the league is going to lie, at least do it convincingly.

Who do you reckon ch7 is going to prefer? Collingwood v Carlton on a Friday night or Dees v Brisbane? It’s not rocket science, the draw is never going to be equal.

Far more? You can thank Collingwood for inflating that figure. When you play interstate teams you get in the 20,000’s. If you want I can go back and look at 2014-2016 and show you those 15-20k games.

That’s why you sell home games to save yourself the embarrassment of 15-20k showing up to the MCG. The 8000 that show up in the NT to watch you play Port is about the same number you’d get at the MCG.

By Melbourne standards your 2017 was amazing, which for every other team is a disappointing season. You didn’t make finals yet you expect to be celebrated as a stand out team worthy of being a headline team.

Yes. Far more. You clearly don't understand how averages work. You're suggesting that one home game against Collingwood somehow inflated our season average for home attendances from 15-20k (your number) to 35,694 people per game, did it? :rolleyes:

I was at the Queen's birthday game. You're kidding yourself if you think that there were only 15-20k Demons fans there.

Face it, your number is bullshit and you have been proven wrong.

Geelong finishes top 4 and gets double up matches against 3 sides that missed the 8
Hawks didnt finish anywhere near the 8 and get double up matches against 3 sides that made the 8

Seems a touch unfair
Yep its joke.

But the AFL are not shy in showing their favour for teams.

How are some clubs supposed to grow when they get minimal free to air games and are stuck playing sunday afternoon all year?

At the risk of copping wrath from fellow Blue boys/girls, I actually completely agree with the sentiment of this thread. I am really excited with the clubs direction, the focus on the draft and the rebuild however we aren't there yet and we were one of the crap sides of the comp last year. We played some exciting footy, unearthed some serious talent and kept the thumping's down (compared to previous years) however we are still a long way off a quality side compared to the top 8, even 10. We still only pulled off six wins despite some admiral losses........which count for * all really.........and we lost arguably one of our best midfielders.

I would have preferred a draw that kept us out of the spotlight for this year whilst we follow this path, next year for sure but as a supporter/member I was really hoping a more "discreet" fixture. I also hate losing on a Friday night as my interest is then pretty much ****ed for the weekend for other matches.

LOL, at the bolded, it's no different here to Perth or Adelaide, people will watch whatever is on as long as it isn't complete shite.

The reason 7 make the demands they do is because they only broadcast 3 games a week into Melbourne (4 if there's a Thursday or public holiday game), the timeslots of those games are fixed as Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday 3:20, so those are their only chances to attract the biggest football audience in the country and they'll favour local teams. In every other state they get the local teams games regardless of timeslot (and often instead of the Victorian Saturday and Sunday matches), so they don't need to make any requests over this. It's just common sense for a network trying to maximise their audience all across the country.

So I guess it begs the question, are you prepared to give up roughly 10 of your FTA games a year just to play 2 or 3 more on a Friday night?

This has been the philosophy around Thursday night games in recent years with the focus on Perth, Adelaide, and Geelong, they've moved from that this year and it'll be interesting to see what happens at grounds that aren't sold out all year long.

I was given some good mail by someone involved in the NMFC marketing team that the Bulldogs fate on keeping the Good Friday fixture was decided last year when they refused to make players and staff available to the RCH/Good Friday Appeal lead up events.

Apparently the message coming out of the Dogs was "It's not our home game, we will do it next year", obviously this wasn't taken too well and the AFL was made aware of it before the Good Friday game.

Laughable if true, it seems the premiership hangover didn't just happen on field. :$

Yes. Far more. You clearly don't understand how averages work. You're suggesting that one home game against Collingwood somehow inflated our season average for home attendances from 15-20k (your number) to 35,694 people per game, did it? :rolleyes:

I was at the Queen's birthday game. You're kidding yourself if you think that there were only 15-20k Demons fans there.

Face it, your number is bullshit and you have been proven wrong.
Regpies has a point.

35,000 crowd at the G is an embarassment in this day and age. And you missed finals. Why would the afl take the gamble on them?

Melbourne literally has one Victorian night game after finishing 9th. 3 total. What the ****.

I agree Melbourne are being treated unfairly, but when is the last time they made finals? Maybe the Dees need to force the issue. I think they will still make top 4 next year, so hopefully you get a fair shake next time around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back