A-League in 5 years time

Remove this Banner Ad

They should be looking to bring in a Cairns team and a 2nd melbourne team in the next 2 years I think. Not enough games being played atm.

Not having a dig here, but who would support the second melbourne side? (assuming it isn't South Melbourne Hellas).

No one. Itd have to be and should be South Melbourne

I just can't see FFA accepting Hellas back in the fold. They have on numerous occassions, stated that they are glad to be rid of the old ethnic clubs. Whats going to change the FFA's mind?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just can't see FFA accepting Hellas back in the fold. They have on numerous occassions, stated that they are glad to be rid of the old ethnic clubs. Whats going to change the FFA's mind?

The need for more teams in the comp. The guaranteed succes they would bring with them will change the FFA mind

Just curious what scale you judge ethnicity on?

If has the Australian flag on the grandstand, has an "anglo" name (has not been called Hellas for a decade+), has grand announcements in English, all ground signage and programmes in English and plays the Australian national anthem before matches (do they do that in the A-League?) but is supported largely by Greek-Australians what does it have to alter to be acceptable to enter the competition?

Personally I can't see the comp getting any bigger. They won't add second teams in any other cities anytime soon and the market in the rest of the country is tiny at best. Same lineup now with NZ replaced by NQ for me.

Just curious what scale you judge ethnicity on?

If has the Australian flag on the grandstand, has an "anglo" name (has not been called Hellas for a decade+), has grand announcements in English, all ground signage and programmes in English and plays the Australian national anthem before matches (do they do that in the A-League?) but is supported largely by Greek-Australians what does it have to alter to be acceptable to enter the competition?

Personally I can't see the comp getting any bigger. They won't add second teams in any other cities anytime soon and the market in the rest of the country is tiny at best. Same lineup now with NZ replaced by NQ for me.

Just to be clear, I was referring to Hellas as I was wanting others to be sure I was referring to the old South Melbourne based out of Albert Park. In no way was I casting aspersions etc by referring to them as Hellas.

Further I am not expressing my own personal views as to the amount of ethnicity of the club in its current form today and whether that is acceptable in the modern day A League. I would have no idea as to the make up of the modern SMFC.

I was just simply stating the FFAs policy atm. If and when SMFC can apply for the second A league licence in Melbourne its the FFA you need to convince of all these things you stated, not me. I was just making the point that I think the FFA would be very reluctant to let in one of the old ethnic aligned clubs.

From the sounds of things though, SMFC are doing all the things they feel necessary to be able to enter the league one day if the opportunity arises.

first i pass on my congratulations to the victory. you can only win a league as it stands, its not there fault theres hardly any good clubs in it...so congratulations.

Last night I was listening to SEN, they had an american segment on and they were talking about MLS. They talked about the reasons why the MLS invited Chivas into the comp. A club backed by the mexican community. The reason they did it was to get a passionate derby.

Melbourne Victory vs South Melbourne will be the Australian version of the Classico. Victory now has a championship, South has 4 of those. Both clubs now have a heritage although Victorys is still developing. An Australian derby...A classico for use of a better term in front of 65-75,000 people is good for the game. A showcase event atleast 2 times a year at the MCG.

first i pass on my congratulations to the victory. you can only win a league as it stands, its not there fault theres hardly any good clubs in it...so congratulations.
Sure you aren't Ross Aloisi because your congrats reeks of sour grapes.

Last night I was listening to SEN, they had an american segment on and they were talking about MLS. They talked about the reasons why the MLS invited Chivas into the comp. A club backed by the mexican community. The reason they did it was to get a passionate derby.
I don't know what American sport has to do with Australia. Also Mexico from the US is one country away unlike Greece from Australia.

Melbourne Victory vs South Melbourne will be the Australian version of the Classico. Victory now has a championship, South has 4 of those.
When did SM win four A-leagues? You can put your mickey mouse championships against those powerhouse Australia football/soccer clubs like Sydney City, Leichardt, St George, Carlton, Brunswick, Footscray, etc. Where are they now?

Both clubs now have a heritage although Victorys is still developing. An Australian derby...A classico for use of a better term in front of 65-75,000 people is good for the game. A showcase event atleast 2 times a year at the MCG.
Keep dreaming.
Developing Heritage?
Yes SM have a Greek heritage and Victory don't want just one ethnic heritage. They stand for most Melbournians

One of the best things about the Victory, is the way in which almost everybody from Victoria is behind them, ethnicity is not an issue. I personally would not like to see a second side from Melbourne at all. I like the idea that it is State vs State. I would rather go and watch the Victory play Adelaide or Sydney or Perth, than against another Melbourne team.

Care to share why?

other posters have already said why it wouldn't happen from a leagues pov. + as much as i would love a club in the north the reality is if its going anywhere in SA it would be the south. One place where there probably wouldn't be the financial support, but where i'd love to see a team is darwin purely for the raw aboriginal talent available for the game up there.

Unlike what your mob won yesterday, when we won championships we won them against Sydney City, Marconi, Melbourne Knights, Perth Glory, Adelaide City even Wollongong had some great sides. 1 NSL Championship is worth about 6 A League Championships after what we all saw yesterday. Never in the 30 year history of National Soccer was there ever a 6-0 scoreline in a gf. It was a farce Ernie and you know it.

Thought you were more knowledgable Ernie, a Carlton side consisting of Bresciano, Colosimo (before he got hacked down by Cole) Markovski, Marusic was an extremelly hard team to beat hence pushing us all the way....and it didnt get any easier a year later coming up against Sterjovski, Griffiths, Popovic etc. An nsl championship that goes for LONGER then 21 rounds, with more opponents and 6 teams fighting it out for the trophy is a lot tougher, in 10 years time it wouldnt surprise me if every A league club had 2 titles each next to their name.

Mickey mouse is resting the championship away from men who should be in wheelchairs (Aloisi, Fernando, Veart, Valkanis) in an 8 team league where the 2nd best cant even match up for more then 15 minutes in the showpiece event.

In saying that you can only beat the rubbish they put up against you and Victory did what any good side should do and thats expose the rubbish that made up the opposition yesterday. Congrats.

Talk about living in the past.
I know it burns you South supporters that Melbourne won and 55K went because it tells you the new better A-league works unlike the old NSL.

The 50K+ Melbourne fans there yesterday all thought it was a farce! I demand my money back on my scalped tickets that I bought on E-bay for $500.

Supertiger - how is Sydney City going these days? Great club they were!
South Melbourne, Sydney City, Marconi, Melbourne Knights, Adelaide City and Carlton are all in the past. They are different sides and eras. If they still exist they are state league sides not A-league anyway. Good to see Carlton had some good young players. Who would have thought then they were going places? Unlike Adelaide where players like Dodd, Burns, Owens and Djite will never amount to anything. Beside only 10 people would go see Carlton anyway.

I’m sorry for you this era has past, maybe its better for you if you leave it in the past or change this board to History board.

Talk about living in the past.
I know it burns you South supporters that Melbourne won and 55K went because it tells you the new better A-league works unlike the old NSL.

The 50K+ Melbourne fans there yesterday all thought it was a farce! I demand my money back on my scalped tickets that I bought on E-bay for $500.

Supertiger - how is Sydney City going these days? Great club they were!
South Melbourne, Sydney City, Marconi, Melbourne Knights, Adelaide City and Carlton are all in the past. They are different sides and eras. If they still exist they are state league sides not A-league anyway. Good to see Carlton had some good young players. Who would have thought then they were going places? Unlike Adelaide where players like Dodd, Burns, Owens and Djite will never amount to anything. Beside only 10 people would go see Carlton anyway.

I’m sorry for you this era has past, maybe its better for you if you leave it in the past or change this board to History board.

Thats the response of a man who knows his argument doesnt stand up to scrutiny. With the A League as it is, with the poor sides its got in it, with the lack of junior development Australia wont qualify for the next world cup and the chances will be even lesser in 2014. If that happens, who will you blame then?

Unlike what your mob won yesterday, when we won championships we won them against Sydney City, Marconi, Melbourne Knights, Perth Glory, Adelaide City even Wollongong had some great sides. 1 NSL Championship is worth about 6 A League Championships after what we all saw yesterday. Never in the 30 year history of National Soccer was there ever a 6-0 scoreline in a gf. It was a farce Ernie and you know it.

If I were you I wouldn't highlight the dumbest part of your post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back