A-League Major Semi-Final 2nd Leg: Melbourne Victory v Adelaide United

Remove this Banner Ad

What a game.

Was worried at 80 minutes and my brother said to me wouldn't it be great to kick the winner in extra time. I told well as a liverpool supporter it ain't over until it is over. Too much to drink tonight but what a win:thumbsu:

I'm gonna annouce my undying love for Danny Allsopp.

The bloke's workrate was phenomenal in the second half. He never stopped running and kept creating openings for his teammates. The fact that he scored a cracking goal that brought us back to life was the icing on the cake. Bravo Danny! I doubted you last year, but i've never been happier to eat humble pie.

It's especially sweet to see Kosmina's finals record get further damaged. The bloke carries himself with very little class...

Amazing finish to the game. I was right behind both 1st and last goals of the game on level 3 and both looked like that were on slow mo. For the Robinson goal, we could see was in the right direction but not weren't sure about its height and seemed to take an eternity to hit the net.

great win, overall a great night. Went to watch the boys win came home and watched the aussies beat the kiwis... My only worry is Archie. He is either offside or missing the target...

Amazing finish to the game. I was right behind both 1st and last goals of the game on level 3 and both looked like that were on slow mo. The Robinson goal we could see was in the right direction but not weren't sure about its height and seemed to take an eternity to hit the net.

i was pretty much under you. I was in the crap part of the medallion club because the only tickets left when i had decided between the cricket and the soccer were right up the top of level 3 so we got a friend to get us some medallion tickets...

The bloke's workrate was phenomenal in the second half. He never stopped running and kept creating openings for his teammates. The fact that he scored a cracking goal that brought us back to life was the icing on the cake. Bravo Danny! I doubted you last year, but i've never been happier to eat humble pie.

It's especially sweet to see Kosmina's finals record get further damaged. The bloke carries himself with very little class...

Agreed, Danny Allsop is the main reason you guys won tonight. I have been critical of him in the past but I will also eat that humble pie if you are willing to share :D. He just works himself into the ground every week and gets his team involved in the game. And another thing I have noticed..... he hardly ever tries to milk a free. A lot of players, including a few from both sides, are guilty of that week in week out. Danny you are all class mate.

Now I might have been a little unfair on a few members of my team in the post game wrap earlier on. Travis Dodd has well and truely found form and he would have been a hero had that shot gone in (great save Theo). Volcano was alright as was Kemp. Burnsy tried hard but just wasnt there and neither was DJ. Nando was nowhere and Jumbo is just too slow. Greggo was willing to take a shot at least and should be better for the run. Now I get to Ross...... he worked very hard early when we were really under the pump but he paid for it later on in the game. Im not all that unhappy with him tonight but Ross mate, maybe its time to hang up the boots.

Well done to the Victory you deserved it. Hopefully we get a better show at home and we will meet again.

Prior the last goal, how frustrating was it to watch as a Victory fan?
Shocking defence for the Adelaide goal. Our problem all year has been crosses to the far post. Cross came too easily and Theo was caught in no mans land.
The lack of width on the right in the first half was obvious to everyone except the Victory players. Things were better at the start of the second up to the goal. With Caceres going off they went even narrower. No wonder Costanzo played so well, any defender with half a brain could tell where the ball was going.

I didn't have a problem with Caceres' play and wasn't sure why he came off. Muscat and Brebner seemed to be playing the same roles in the first half. Thought Fred had a poor game. The Alessandro sub was i thought was very late. Archie is out of form. The ball seems to boggle right for Allsopp often.

Happy with the result after all.

Hey I'm not soccer tactics expert but it was very frustrating watching Melbourne continue to go inside instead of using the width. Caceres played well but his final decision was always the wrong one, Storey was also frustrating when he had the ball, you don't have to clearly beat your man using dazzling dribbling skills to get a cross in you just have to find the space. Again I will admit my lack of soccer knowledge but surely if you have the team by the balls and are attacking most of the game you should go wide and fire in crosses, it may not be pretty but it's higher percentage play.

Archie had a bad day. Alsopp was probably the best on the ground but a couple of Adelaide defenders especially that Constanzo guy would give him a run for his money.

I thought Adelaide were absolutely atrocious in the second half. If you're going to sit back and let the opposition bombard you, THAT is going to happen, it always does. There were plenty of chances for them to attack on the counter and put the result beyond doubt, but they either went backwards or gave up the ball for particular reason.

But I'm not complaining ;)

I'm well glad I'm a Man City supporter, as it's built up a nice little resistance to feeling crap after losses like today... as a matter of fact, I'm now expecting to lose to Newcastle next week...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bloke's workrate was phenomenal in the second half. He never stopped running and kept creating openings for his teammates. The fact that he scored a cracking goal that brought us back to life was the icing on the cake. Bravo Danny!

100% Agree.

I never lost faith in Danny and had the satisfaction of scoring $100 of a mate as I believed he would hit 8+ goals this year...and he delivered.

For the record, the $100 was spent on a home top with the name ALLSOPP #9 proudly placed on the back.

Top night last night, I have no voice and am sore from falling all over the seats when Robinsons goal went in. Top atmosphere, top march from the Great Western, and good to see positive headlines in todays press and support from media and supporters of other codes alike.

I must also say that the United fans on here (as in the ones who post here often) have taken it pretty well, and no perhaps we will meet again in two weeks.

Add me to the Allsop-loving chorus - he was immense last night. His 20 minutes at the start of the 2nd half single-handedly dragged us back into the contest. Great performance.

Archie had a barry crocker, need him to lift. And again, lack of width is a continual problem under Merrick. Storey was very ordinary been an option going forward, and his poor defending allowed the Adelaide goal.

If we can work that out (perhaps encourage Fred to stay more wide like he did the 2nd half) we will win the Grand Final.

Adelaide have only themselves to blame. They parked the bus in the 2nd half, and never looked like scoring until the final seconds. Costanzo was brilliant again, I have massive respect for the bloke.

And props to the United fans that travelled across, looked good and made plenty of noise (until the final minute). Didn't see any crowd trouble at all.

Geez it was happy times from 92 minutes onwards. Can't wait for a fortnight's time.

Amazing finish to the game. I was right behind both 1st and last goals of the game on level 3 and both looked like that were on slow mo. For the Robinson goal, we could see was in the right direction but not weren't sure about its height and seemed to take an eternity to hit the net.

Mate, i was down below, almost at eye level with the goal... I saw Robinson head it, i watched it loop, i thought it was going over and the next think i know it's hit the inside side netting and i'm in the midst of the biggest orgy in the world... I felt violated :( Sweaty man hugs all round!

As for the Allsopp bandwagon - Climb aboard! He's got broad shoulders, he can carry us all :D

oh what a night.

i truly believe the sleeping giant has awoken in Melbourne.

the place will go off over the next 2 weeks.

Wasn't it the most disgusting sauna like conditions down there.

We kicked it off in the first minute with jump with melbourne victory and i was rooted shortly there after. Sweat just pouring... The day started off at 26 degrees and finished around 33 degrees.

It was terrible conditions.

Melbourne 2 - (Muscat Penalty '86 , Allsopp '90 + 2)

Adelaide 1 - ( Burns '11)
Crowd - 53,000

What a guess!!

Hats off to Adelaide, they proved that there not far away from achieving something in this league and to there supporters who travelled from Adelaide, hard luck but well done for travelling across for the game.

Gotta give a mention to Allsopp who through out the year has proved he is worth his weight in gold for the victory and hopefully silenced all his knockers.

What a game, been crook all day and was about to throw it in and go to bed, when BIG BAD ROBBO nudges home the winner. Deserved the win, Adelaide didn't try to score again after they got the opener, they were happy to hold the ball around the edge of the box and soak up time. Fred and Thompson had shockers and hopefully they can lift their form for the big one.

Newcastle will be happy also, they can still qualify for the 08 Champions League.

Can't complain about last night...the deserving team won.

Some positives I'll take out of it...

1. We don't have to play at AAMI - or have a half-empty stadium on national TV
2. I don't think a week off would suit us. We'd come back sluggish and sloppy.
3. Melbourne are playing into some form, so if we get past Newcastle I'd rather play them with a week off under their belts to hopefully disrupt their momentum.

Win this week and we're in Asia 2 years running as well, so if having another crack at the Dome wasn't enough incentive that should be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back