A New(?) Idea for A B and C Grade

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
It is plainly obvious that the jump to A Grade is a huge one, as is the jump to B grade. Being a Fitzroy supporter, and an Old Redder I have an idea. that has crystallised over the last ten years.

What about having twelve teams in A and B Grade? Does anyone think that Uni Blacks and St Bernards are B grade teams? The bottom five teams in B Grade for the last five years have been making up the numbers. B Grade is the most boring of all the VAFA Grade as by half way through the season it is all over red rover.

Opinions please

It is plainly obvious that the jump to A Grade is a huge one, as is the jump to B grade. Being a Fitzroy supporter, and an Old Redder I have an idea. that has crystallised over the last ten years.

What about having twelve teams in A and B Grade? Does anyone think that Uni Blacks and St Bernards are B grade teams? The bottom five teams in B Grade for the last five years have been making up the numbers. B Grade is the most boring of all the VAFA Grade as by half way through the season it is all over red rover.

Opinions please
For a 12 team comp, you would need to have a 22 Rounds instead of 18, otherwise there would be unequal draw.

St. Bernard’s were no world beaters last year. OB have done OK in Premier A. Beaumaris haven’t set the world in Fire in Premier B.

Plenty of teams in Premier C If promoted to Prem B, would be ok as VFL teams would be less likely to tell alligned players to go elsewhere.

Monash played finals in 2017.

In essence this is a bad year for The bottom teams in all divisions except Prem A. No need to overreact.

Max “worthy discussion” Leader

Whilst i understand your logic, and there is certainly an argument for 12 teams in Premier, there are also plenty against. Ultimately there is still plenty of interest in Premier B. Until 2 rounds ago, Caulfield were still in contention for finals, and if they hadn't lost to an improved OH, then would still be in contention(just). The relegation battle has heated up, and all teams in the bottom 5 are winning games. There is no (no offence intended) Peninsula, winning only 1 game. I think the 2 up 2 down keeps things interesting for far longer.
I would guess if the VAFA accepted more teams, there would be an argument for 12 teams in a grade, and maybe Premier should be considered, however until then, numbers are quite nice, with all grades having ten teams.

Can’t see any reason for a change.
The 9 home and 9 away games against all teams is a must when you have a relegation and promotion system. Fancy dropping a grade due to % only, when you played against all the top teams twice.

I would keep the number of games but the top teams ie the one coming down a grade would play each other twice and the top three teams would also (based on the season before) while the 'coming up sides' would only play the top teams once.

There is another competition in Victoria that does something similar.

In B Grade, after 6 rounds half the teams are only interested I avoiding relegation. When has there been a year where the demoted teams from A grade didn't finish top three in B Grade the next year? When has a team gone into A grade who hasn't been there recently?

Only have to look at the EFL to see the negatives of a 12 team premier comp, they are in the midst of switching back to a 10 team 'premier' comp this year, leaving 3 teams to be relegated.

Worthy discussion nonetheless.

I would keep the number of games but the top teams ie the one coming down a grade would play each other twice and the top three teams would also (based on the season before) while the 'coming up sides' would only play the top teams once.

In B Grade, after 6 rounds half the teams are only interested I avoiding relegation. When has there been a year where the demoted teams from A grade didn't finish top three in B Grade the next year? When has a team gone into A grade who hasn't been there recently?
For your first point Old Carey last year, for your second, St Kevins two years ago, Old Brighton this year.

Pretty sure Monash were 3-6 at the halfway mark last season and didn’t lose interest. Made finals and very nearly knocked st Bernard’s out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back