Multiplat A Plague Tale - Requiem

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished this tonight, was hoping I'd be able to get through it just before God of War comes out. Took me just over 21 hours.

Incredible game. Basically feels like a hybrid of Last of Us & Uncharted (specifically Lost Legacy - anyone who gets to about chapter 10 will understand).

Visually absolutely stunning, when there's a full swarm of rats on screen, the way they move about and flow is just mesmerising. The way they can also make what should be terrible looking places, still look incredible is also a wonder to behold. You could really feel some of the dark, dank atmosphere that they present at times.

My only gripe is that the ending is so unbelievably tragic, if you just left us with the first you get no sadness. But obviously it's just not to be with how it was meant to be. :'(

The "sequel bait" ending is interesting, obviously presenting a potential modern day version, I wonder if that could actually be the case.

It's also great to see the game having sold so damn well.

How is it compared to the first?
As has been said, it's pretty similar. I think it's a bit better paced than the first, there's definitely more combat but it feels better overall too, like you have more tools at your disposal.

Well worth a play.

Either I’ve been massively busy with work or I can’t get through video games quickly anymore, but I bought this game 3 weeks ago and I’m still only up to Chapter 9, and that’s despite playing nothing else.

I don’t know how much longer it’ll take me to beat because I’ve also got Gotham Knights, God of War Ragnarok and The Callisto Protocol to move onto as well.

I platinumed the first game but I’m not sure I’ll be able to be bothered to do a whole other play through of this game to get the platinum. I might just have to beat the main story, move on then go back and platinum it next year.

Either I’ve been massively busy with work or I can’t get through video games quickly anymore, but I bought this game 3 weeks ago and I’m still only up to Chapter 9, and that’s despite playing nothing else.

I don’t know how much longer it’ll take me to beat
because I’ve also got Gotham Knights, God of War Ragnarok and The Callisto Protocol to move onto as well.

I platinumed the first game but I’m not sure I’ll be able to be bothered to do a whole other play through of this game to get the platinum. I might just have to beat the main story, move on then go back and platinum it next year.

There are 17 chapters so you're just over halfway through.

I just finished this.

Holy s**t that ending!!!

I was in shock and had to choke back tears when I found out that Hugo must be killed. I liked the special touch too where when you went to grab your slingshot, Amicia did it so slowly, clumsily and was absolutely devastated.

Personally, after Hugo’s death, I’d be happy for them to leave A Plague Tale alone now. There’s nothing that really needs to be added to the story now.

I’m not sure how a third game in modern times would work though. We already have enough zombie games set in the modern day.

I absolutely adore A Plague Tale. The story and character development are absolutely top notch and it honestly beats so many more popular titles for me, and this YouTube comment describes Amicia better than I ever could.

D40C188E-274C-4B1B-9BC4-8C84636BAECF.jpeg

Finished a few days ago. I have really enjoyed this whole series.

But man I'm not sure about that ending. You spend two games defending this little guy and really getting attached to the relationship between Hugo and Amicia. Then, throughout the entire second game you watch Amicia's whatever it takes attitude and it really puts you in a position where you think ultimately it'll all work out. For her to change that attitude so quickly in the second last chapter and kill what you've spent the whole time defending, didn't sit right. Probably doesn't help that I have a son roughly the age of Hugo and I drew that link throughout the game, but I still wasn't overly happy.

If they wanted that shock factor why didn't they kill of Lucus? Or, even if they swindled in an Amicia death in sacrifice of Hugo somehow, that would have suited her arc a lot better.

Aside from that, love the series. And this games polish, look, voice acting, everything really is top notch

Just finished this and I would add that

I pretty much expected Hugo to die, and he probably had to, to be honest. He'd clearly started to accept his fate in those last few chapters. So fairly predictable (same with rescuing Arnaud and his redeemable hero death) but I thought they did it all pretty well.

I think overall this is an upgrade over the first one. The narrative toward the end still his pretty hard, it's wonderfully cinematic. Amicia is an amazing character and you just feel so bad for all she has been through. Not just emotionally either, it feels like she gets roughed up and suffers more injuries than Lara Croft or any other female character in a game. It suffers from some of the same combat clankiness and frustration, and some fight/alchemy mechanics feel like you use them only once or twice and never again. But it's not quite as unforgiving as Innocence was in the final stretch thanks to the crossbow which is good. And larger AAA studios have no excuse not to up their graphics efforts because this one absolutely puts them to shame.

8.5/10.

Last edited:
Finished this up last night - thoroughly enjoyed. The game is so beautiful. Was impressed by the PS5 performance in some of those rat scenes, ha. Lots of little QoL improvements from the first one, and thought the additions to the gameplay were great. They really nailed the different abilities of the various partners throughout the game - they really changed my approach depending on who was with me. Great game design.

The flip side is that it was longer than it needed to be, which seems to be a consistent comment. The pacing was pretty shocking at times, which is problematic when the game is so depressing/heavy. That and the writing were still a tier below some of the AAA narrative games, but still enjoyable. Thought they had the right idea with the ending but the execution flopped a little for mine.

And my biggest criticism: what the * did they do to Amicia? Completely insufferable. Hated her from 5 mins in. Very annoying.

Overall, great follow up to the first. Like where they've taken the story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back