A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure that was a proposal about 15 years ago. Oasis I think it was called, it had a rectractable roof and everything.

Then someone asked how it would ever be filled. I think it was scrapped shortly after.

Come back on the boil apparently, at the very least gives me something to see what pops up in response and peoples opinions n the matter.

As you no doubt know, i am of the opinion that if another team or two ever eventuates and the AFL has 2 Sydney teams up and running - whats the bet they go for a third in front of Tassie or WA 3.

I expect that eventually someone will ask the question about bums on seats again, which will put it back on the scrap heap.

Well, yes, you are probably right, a third A league team, a third BBl and a third AFL team combined with a NRL team that probably may draw the poorest crowd would be about it.

Come back on the boil apparently, at the very least gives me something to see what pops up in response and peoples opinions n the matter.

As you no doubt know, i am of the opinion that if another team or two ever eventuates and the AFL has 2 Sydney teams up and running - whats the bet they go for a third in front of Tassie or WA 3.

The first thing is getting Syd2 going. I've said Tas1 should be in an 18 team comp already. But investing in a Syd3 in front of WA3 or Tas1 would be a disgrace, whilst still supporting so many others in Victoria.

The first thing is getting Syd2 going. I've said Tas1 should be in an 18 team comp already. But investing in a Syd3 in front of WA3 or Tas1 would be a disgrace, whilst still supporting so many others in Victoria.

What ! - Tas1 - you are not suggesting down the track a Tas2 etc. :)

I think if there is ever an increase in teams TAS and WA 3 would be the go, but i have a sneaking feeling that if ever GWS build to being self sufficient and who knows when, where, what or if that will ever happen i suspect that Tassie will miss out to Sydney 3 and WA 3.

What ! - Tas1 - you are not suggesting down the track a Tas2 etc. :)

I think if there is ever an increase in teams TAS and WA 3 would be the go, but i have a sneaking feeling that if ever GWS build to being self sufficient and who knows when, where, what or if that will ever happen i suspect that Tassie will miss out to Sydney 3 and WA 3.

Errr, no. Tas1 would be fine thanks very much. :)

I dont really see a Syd 3, unless teams are actually moved out of the Vic10 conglomeration to make some room available.

But lets just get the current expansion mess right first.

Errr, no. Tas1 would be fine thanks very much. :)

I dont really see a Syd 3, unless teams are actually moved out of the Vic10 conglomeration to make some room available.

But lets just get the current expansion mess right first.

With 60% of the commercial TV advertising dollar being spent in QLD / NSW, the next team will be in Sydney, north thereof probably, just imagine how big their academy will be! It's the academy's that are driving the success of the new teams, new talent, year on year, they just wouldn't allow this draft access to a new Tas or WA team.

With 60% of the commercial TV advertising dollar being spent in QLD / NSW, the next team will be in Sydney, north thereof probably, just imagine how big their academy will be! It's the academy's that are driving the success of the new teams, new talent, year on year, they just wouldn't allow this draft access to a new Tas or WA team.
Well that settles it. AFL HQ to Byron Bay. Expansions to Cairns, Townsville, Wollongong, Newcastle, Brisbane 2, Syd3, Syd4. Syd5. Its all so clear.

That 60% figure is massively misleading...I can only assume that it is driven by the fact that media outlets are disproportionately based in Sydney and so that is where much of the national advertising transactions occur

The contention that someone in Sydney or Brisbane is worth 40% more to advertises than someone on similar income levels in Melbourne or Perth is clearly ridiculous.

I am pretty sure about the inevitability of a third Sydney team but I reckon it will be S/SW not North, and by north I assume you mean Central coast- Newcastle way ?

Well that settles it. AFL HQ to Byron Bay. Expansions to Cairns, Townsville, Wollongong, Newcastle, Brisbane 2, Syd3, Syd4. Syd5. Its all so clear.

If AFL HQ did move to Byron, the same obvious joke would be made every time the Commission made a terrible decision...

I am pretty sure about the inevitability of a third Sydney team but I reckon it will be S/SW not North, and by north I assume you mean Central coast- Newcastle way ?

Greater South East Sydney? How about Greater All Encompassing Southern Sydney. Or Greater Northern Sydney Central Coast &Newcastle Combined. ( GNSCSNC ) Im sure we can come up with a name to help Gill out.

60% of the total, perhaps, but not in terms of the viewers of AFL (and thus AFL revenue), it's around 10%

Yes, the teams are there are part of an effort to grow this, but until they start making significant headway, this means those teams are a money sink and there are only so many of them the AFL can throw money at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

60% of the total, perhaps, but not in terms of the viewers of AFL (and thus AFL revenue), it's around 10%

Yes, the teams are there are part of an effort to grow this, but until they start making significant headway, this means those teams are a money sink and there are only so many of them the AFL can throw money at.

Swans have made very significant headway, biggest sponsorship in Australian club sport (?), biggest club in NSW interms of crowds, biggest membership base in NSW, a strong junior grass roots base in their inner Eastern and Northern harbour zone and a respected name and culture.

GWS should do the same in a shorter time frame i would have thought, much of the heavy lifting has been done.

A third team will come in a much sooner time frame than what the second did.

GWS 'should', A third team 'will'

Their is nothing should or will about it. Sydney teams are in a tough sports culture war. Swans represent a 30 year battle for existence. Nothing is certain or guaranteed. It is a risk venture. GWS itself has a long way to go. Its nowhere near self sustaining. A 3rd team is just wishful imagination at this stage.

Their is nothing should or will about it. Sydney teams are in a tough sports culture war. Swans represent a 30 year battle for existence. Nothing is certain or guaranteed. It is a risk venture. GWS itself has a long way to go. Its nowhere near self sustaining. A 3rd team is just wishful imagination at this stage.

What do you think is harder, surviving in Sydney or surviving in Melbourne when you are North or Melbourne or over the last 50 years Bulldogs ?.

Pretty good argument could be made that being in Sydney could prove better off than scraping out an existence in a 9 team town.

What do you think is harder, surviving in Sydney or surviving in Melbourne when you are North or Melbourne or over the last 50 years Bulldogs ?.

Pretty good argument could be made that being in Sydney could prove better off than scraping out an existence in a 9 team town.

So the A-League, NRL, Sydney media & anti Victorian mentality don't exist?
If you cant cut in an AFL town, you'd have no hope in Sydney.

That 60% figure is massively misleading...I can only assume that it is driven by the fact that media outlets are disproportionately based in Sydney and so that is where much of the national advertising transactions occur

The contention that someone in Sydney or Brisbane is worth 40% more to advertises than someone on similar income levels in Melbourne or Perth is clearly ridiculous.

I worked for some years in the advertising industry and the breakdown of advertising spend at that time across the country was as follows :

Sydney - 60%
Melbourne - 30%
Adelaide/Brisbane/Perth - 10%

Point is, if you put a new team into Perth or Adelaide, you are cutting the slices of the pie even thinner.

Putting a new team into Sydney grows the actual game with a new support base from a very large population.

I worked for some years in the advertising industry and the breakdown of advertising spend at that time across the country was as follows :

Sydney - 60%
Melbourne - 30%
Adelaide/Brisbane/Perth - 10%

What breakdown though? Most of the national commercial media is operated out of Sydney

The idea that 60% of advertising spend is chasing 30% of the disposable income is nonsense

Of note is that afl clubs achieve far more in sponsorship dollars than nrl clubs

Point is, if you put a new team into Perth or Adelaide, you are cutting the slices of the pie even thinner.

Putting a new team into Sydney grows the actual game with a new support base from a very large population.

Id suggest that Perth is an under supplied market.
How much will it cost developing the 2nd & then a 3rd Sydney team. What would a cost benefit analysis look like?
I think theirs a lot of 'hope' involved in it.

Swans have made very significant headway, biggest sponsorship in Australian club sport (?), biggest club in NSW interms of crowds, biggest membership base in NSW, a strong junior grass roots base in their inner Eastern and Northern harbour zone and a respected name and culture.

GWS should do the same in a shorter time frame i would have thought, much of the heavy lifting has been done.

A third team will come in a much sooner time frame than what the second did.

How would Sydney go if the AFL stopped propping them up?

A slide down the ladder and it'd all fall apart.

They've had a team there for 30 years, and the support base is so small they supposedly need academies to get anyone playing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back